I think I've lost it.
Feb 14, 2012 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Xanimal13

New Head-Fier
Alright you guys and gals are all to blame for driving me nutty! A mere year ago I was totally okay rocking my skullcandies and now you have me wearing socks on my head. I think I've become a lunatic. I received my Grados in the mail TODAY and I've already put socks on them, pulled them apart, poked holes in them and pulled cloth off of them all in the search of "sound quality" and "sound stage". Needless to say.... Thanks!

Klipsch Custom3
Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
Grado SR60i Socked

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 12
I pulled the cloth off between the pads and the cans themselves - probably a minimal increase if that, I also vented the drivers which resulted in a huge notice. They were quite bass shy and now... Well not so much. The socks are the most noticeable change, resulting in a wider sound stage, smoothed treble and increased bass response making them much punchier, however gave it kind of a mid boost I'm not so sure I like as it makes the vocals kind of off somehow. Hard to put a finger on it, may just need to get used to it though. Comfy though. 
Edit: The mods have really livened up the cans. They are sounding quite fun and I dare say the bass could almost rival my M50's.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 12
i wanted to get a pair of grados to mess around with trying to mod them but im afraid the grado sound isn't for me. looks hilarious and i wish i was doing that right now lol

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 12
The Grado sound really is different than what I expected. I bought these used for 60 bucks so I figured I couldn't pass them up. My next idea is definitely silver cables and woodies. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable wearing these outside. I think I look REALLY goofy. Socks on my head. Pshhhh

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
The Grado sound really is different than what I expected. I bought these used for 60 bucks so I figured I couldn't pass them up. My next idea is definitely silver cables and woodies. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable wearing these outside. I think I look REALLY goofy. Socks on my head. Pshhhh

dont go that far. getting better cans for your money is a step in the right direction. don't overdo it or you'll end up undoing it.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:

Seriously, cables are 99% voodoo. Spare those bucks and spend 'em on something nice.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #9 of 12
I actually poked 10 holes, which with the socks is farrrrr too many. Makes the cans sound too boomy. De socked them and I'm using quarter modded comfies now. Probably the best bet, quite happy with the sound like this. Since you guys don't recommend going silver, I will probably not end up doing that. Maybe just some L cush or g cush pads and call it good.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #10 of 12
So I ended up making a few more mods, I painted the cans to a kind of retro look. All the people I talk to say they looked retro before and I think this kind of fits the cans. I also added some bowl pads (Bought 414 pads too, use them both a ton) I'm really digging these headphones still. Fantastic sound.

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Alright you guys and gals are all to blame for driving me nutty! A mere year ago I was totally okay rocking my skullcandies and now you have me wearing socks on my head. I think I've become a lunatic. I received my Grados in the mail TODAY and I've already put socks on them, pulled them apart, poked holes in them and pulled cloth off of them all in the search of "sound quality" and "sound stage". Needless to say.... Thanks!

Klipsch Custom3
Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
Grado SR60i Socked

Holy crap! I would NEVER do that . . . you are INSANE
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back