I think I'm trying too hard to like the HE90
Apr 12, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #76 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me know if you ever want to come over & do some comparisons,maybe a minimeet.

I'm in for the minimeet!
icon10.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #77 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The electrostatic sound is seducing, but there is always that little something missing that compels you to upgrade - finally when you get to the HE90 and your electrostatic upgrade path is over you realize you have come to a dead end and you must go back down the dynamic path...

Well put
icon10.gif

While this is definately preference oriented (some like stats above all dynamics...duggeh), I feel like there is always something missing or manufactured in the end.

That's why I ended up with the VS VR4jr speakers because they image as well as stats (because of global axis driver), but they have that smooth dynamic driver sound (I miss them, they are sitting disconnected, my girlfriend moved in
frown.gif
).

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #78 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jason,
Knowing the preferance in phones you like,I will give you my take on things,since I own both the HE90s & 010s & previously owned your SRXs.

Thanks Tom... I think it does have to do with preferences. You know what it is? Even out of the little Dared or T-Amp and SRD-6/SB, when I put on those SR-X's, I just smile and it's like "man, oh man, this is good". Ditto with the HP1000 out of my laptop computer or the 010 out of the m902...

With the HE90, it's like I'm trying to force myself to smile, and what goes through my mind instead is "Hmm, I guess this is pretty good..."

I think there's a lot one can do to change the sound of something in the right system. A different source, amp might do something great for the HE90. But likewise, I look at that little Stax jack on the Aristaeus and I can't help but think I'd prefer a SR-X mk3 or Lambda Pro or Omega I out of that (the Omega 2 is very good, but just isn't the one for me either).

I've always suspected in the back of my mind the Wilsons would be my sound... You've already made me buy one piece of audio gear - I hope you're not the cause of me getting a pair of those as well!
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Apr 12, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #82 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Tom... I think it does have to do with preferences. You know what it is? Even out of the little Dared or T-Amp and SRD-6/SB, when I put on those SR-X's, I just smile and it's like "man, oh man, this is good". Ditto with the HP1000 out of my laptop computer or the 010 out of the m902...

With the HE90, it's like I'm trying to force myself to smile, and what goes through my mind instead is "Hmm, I guess this is pretty good..."

I think there's a lot one can do to change the sound of something in the right system. A different source, amp might do something great for the HE90. But likewise, I look at that little Stax jack on the Aristaeus and I can't help but think I'd prefer a SR-X mk3 or Lambda Pro or Omega I out of that (the Omega 2 is very good, but just isn't the one for me either).

I've always suspected in the back of my mind the Wilsons would be my sound... You've already made me buy one piece of audio gear - I hope you're not the cause of me getting a pair of those as well!
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

I'd suggest you try out some of the vintage electrostats and get a good amp with normal bias outputs to drive them. Most of these older phones are excellent at making music but aren't hi-fi sounding like for instance the He90. Try either of the Sigmas, the "New SR-3" or SR-5 or maybe the Beyer Dynamic ET1000 if you can find it. You get lost in the music with all of these phones and the albums just roll by and they are above else fun to own.

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #83 of 110
Quote:

Okay it's been more than three weeks and I don't know. I listen to it, and there's a lot to like about the sound. It's a lot more relaxed than the 010 or K 1000. It has nice presence, images well, has good texture. It's got nice air. Bass is okay, but I'm not particularly impressed -- it's just not that defined or tight. Still, it sounds nice, but when I listen to the HE90, I often find myself wanting to switch to the 010 or the K 1000 (or HP1, if I got that gimble fixed dammit). It doesn't happen in reverse.

I find the HE90 to be too euphonic - it's very melodic, but it gets in the way of the music. I find the 010 brings me closer to the sound. The 010 is far leaner and strips away everything away from the sound, leaving only a raw core. The HE90 is far gentler and softer. I can see how many may prefer the HE90, but I'm just used to the raw purity of the 010.

Any thoughts guys? Maybe it's just my sound preferences. Right now I'm running the stock Aristaeus configuration sourced by the m902 - I imagine neither is particularly geared towards bringing the HE90 to my sound.

It's not like I don't like the HE90. I find it's pretty good in most areas. Just not superlative in any area. For me it's a bit of a jack of all trades, with a very romanticized overlay to it. Given I prefer flawed cans with strong character, and warm and musical ain't my sound... I wonder if a properly driven Omega 2 isn't better for texture. I guess I'm just wondering if this ain't for me...

Best,

-Jason

Hey Jason!

It's been a while since last time I entered Head-Fi and I find such an interesting post of yours. It exactly states my feelings about the HE90. On my 3rd week with them I was feeling exactly the same. Seriously, I could have written myself your post with your exact words a while ago. Spooky!

Specially that part about finding yourself wanting to switch to another phones but not that much the other way around. I was doing A/B tests (especially against the Omega1) and it always was easy for me to go from HE90 to Omega1 than to Omega1 to HE90. Sometimes I was doing sessions of 5 mins HE90, 40 min O1, 10 min HE90, 45 min O1, 20 min HE90, 55 min O1, etc etc.

I'm not saying here that the O1 is better than the HE90 (actually the O1s were a bit lean from the HEV90, although this didn't happen from a T1, but then again the T1 couldn't bring the detail the HEV90 was giving). It's just that I felt them more engaging. Still, the HE90 is a fantastic headphone anyway.

I do not think a change on the source is going to make a difference on your impressions. Actually a better source/setup should give even greater advantage to the Qualias as they are more unforgiving. Of course the HE90 will sound better with a better source, but an HE90 sounds pretty great from almost everything while 010s or K1000s can sound pretty crappy from some sources.

I'd advice you to give it some more time, just in case. I remember I wasn't impressed with the R10s on my first weeks and things did improve a lot, being now one of my usual headphones in rotation. Still, I must say that although they grew a lot on me, they never became my favorite headphones either and I have the funny feeling that this might happen to you as well. But it is worth to try it anyway.

Good luck!

Apr 13, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #84 of 110
Jason,

Are you going to the international meet? I probably should check. Anyway, my setup will be there -

ES1 (maxxed)
HEV90
HE90 (x3)
EMM Labs CDSD/DCC2 SE w/ Aural Symphonics
APL NWO 2.5T (possibly)
VD Revelation & Masters throughout
===

If the HE90's don't sound good to you in this setup with one of the headphones (all three are from different era's, old, old-new, newish), then you likely won't get the HE90's to your liking.

Neil

Apr 13, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #85 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jason,

Are you going to the international meet? I probably should check. Anyway, my setup will be there -

ES1 (maxxed)
HEV90
HE90 (x3)
APL NWO 2.5T (possibly)
===

If the HE90's don't sound good to you in this setup with one of the headphones (all three are from different era's, old, old-new, newish), then you likely won't get the HE90's to your liking.

Neil

HOT DOG! I will definitely spend some time visiting you.

Hope there's not a long queue to hear it … I've never been able to spend a decent number of minutes comparing because similar setups (like Tom's) have always been mobbed/hogged. I'll keep my fingers, toes & eyes crossed.

Cheers.

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #86 of 110
Quote:

ES1 (maxxed)
HEV90
HE90 (x3)
APL NWO 2.5T (possibly)

Jason,
Although I want to buy your HE-90 dearly, but I still think you should go to the National meet b/f making the decision. Set up like Neilvg will definitely let the HE-90 shines.

Nelivg,
Which do you prefer? The HEV90 or ES-1?

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #87 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HOT DOG! I will definitely spend some time visiting you.

Hope there's not a long queue to hear it … I've never been able to spend a decent number of minutes comparing because similar setups (like Tom's) have always been mobbed/hogged. I'll keep my fingers, toes & eyes crossed.

I wasn't at the national meet last year, but it seems likely a lot of people will be crowding over the setup as there will be quite a few goodies along with it:

HD650 balanced connected to the DCC2 PreAmp outs. OII, HE60(x2) one woodied with Stax, one stock. And of course 3 HE90's. Also Mikhail
will likely be bringing a little something something he's been working on as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jason,
Set up like Neilvg will definitely let the HE-90 shines.

Nelivg,
Which do you prefer? The HEV90 or ES-1?

I personally have never heard a better headphone setup than mine... but that's just me =) Actually I can easily see how a matter of personal taste could easily lead you to another rig altogether. In terms of the ES-1 V.S. HEV90, I don't know! Mihail has been working on a extremely customized ES-1 for me for about 1 year! He has promised to deliver this to me BEFORE the international meet. So I am assuming at the latest, I will have it there.

Neil

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #88 of 110
3 HE-90s?!? I thought you "only" had 2 of them?
eek.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #90 of 110
Quote:

Okay it's been more than three weeks and I don't know. I listen to it, and there's a lot to like about the sound. It's a lot more relaxed than the 010 or K 1000. It has nice presence, images well, has good texture. It's got nice air. Bass is okay, but I'm not particularly impressed -- it's just not that defined or tight. Still, it sounds nice, but when I listen to the HE90, I often find myself wanting to switch to the 010 or the K 1000 (or HP1, if I got that gimble fixed dammit). It doesn't happen in reverse.

I find the HE90 to be too euphonic - it's very melodic, but it gets in the way of the music. I find the 010 brings me closer to the sound. The 010 is far leaner and strips away everything away from the sound, leaving only a raw core. The HE90 is far gentler and softer. I can see how many may prefer the HE90, but I'm just used to the raw purity of the 010.

Any thoughts guys? Maybe it's just my sound preferences. Right now I'm running the stock Aristaeus configuration sourced by the m902 - I imagine neither is particularly geared towards bringing the HE90 to my sound.

It's not like I don't like the HE90. I find it's pretty good in most areas. Just not superlative in any area. For me it's a bit of a jack of all trades, with a very romanticized overlay to it. Given I prefer flawed cans with strong character, and warm and musical ain't my sound... I wonder if a properly driven Omega 2 isn't better for texture. I guess I'm just wondering if this ain't for me...

Best,

-Jason

I kind of regretted getting rid of it - so I eventually relented and bought the HE/V set.

Given that I almost never use headphones in a stationary situation these days, I figured it made sense for it to be an occasion. I also found the HE90 uncomfortable for long periods of listening, but nowadays I spend maybe two albums worth of time with headphones on at home every two-three days or so, if not less time. I still don't find it that impressive, and technically I still prefer the 010. You said 'relaxed' and I find that aspect of the sound of the HE90 very liveable with.

It took a bit of thinking to get rid of the 010, but I'm equally certain that it's definitely not a headphone I want back. A properly fitted 010 (and holy freakin' christ that takes some doing if you didn't get fitted up for one. And I wonder if being fitted up would have made it any better) is ergonomically superior for long-term listening and as you say lays bare the technical components of the music. However, I found that increasingly hard to accept in terms of idle enjoyment. So for my indoor headphone excursions these days you can say I've gone for the cotton candy solution. As I wrote earlier, for what little use I put it to I prefer the sense of occasion and the cocoon of sound that the HE/V90 system presents.

It seems from your wording that we are hearing exactly the same things but you're leaning towards the 010's presentation. Personally, I'd say keep it for at least 6 months and see what you think. It's unlikely you'll lose anything by doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back