I think I'm trying too hard to like the HE90
Apr 11, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #31 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what I am trying to convey here is that maybe there is a tube combination for the Aris that would do the trick for your ears. Maybe checking what different tube compliments can be used with the HE90 may help?

There's a few alternatives to the 12AX7 out there, but the ECL86 isn't something that's readily replaceable.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #32 of 110
Even if the source isn't "up to par", I doubt - without any personal experience with the HE90 in particular - that the tonal qualities are going to change much if you upgrade to something better. Maybe give the Omega I a try before selling the Aristaeus or invest the money from selling the HE90/Aristaeus in a monster source and amp to pair with the Qualia (I know I would do that).
Sennheisers all have that slightly diffuse (Sennheiser people are big on diffuse-field equalization), romanticized and speaker-sound-field-emulating sound and no amp or source upgrade is going to change that much. A balanced HD 650 from a Bel Canto DAC2 / EMP combo, but it's still the same diffuse sound. Anyways, you know all of this already, so just let me know when you intend to sell the Aristaeus.
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #33 of 110
“though in the direct shootouts, I found the HE90 to be more refined and overall more enjoyable than the 010 out of the Krell.”

Was that because the Krell was deficient with the 010? Was the HE90 better or was the 010 being held back?

“I guess the question I'm wondering is which rig is really worth putting the effort into, given my preferences.”

As good as chocolate ice cream is some people prefer vanilla. Music is a love affair and passion takes precedence over logic. To be fair you should try the HE90’s with a better source but it’s a love affair- if you have to work too hard to enjoy it why bother?

Hey first and easiest would be tube rolling. I think you've only heard the stock tubes? Changing tubes could give you an idea of the way the sound can be modified. This might let you see if there's any hope.

"but the ECL86 isn't something that's readily replaceable."

Call me? I'll hook you up.

No one has done any tube rolling with the Aristaeus. As far as I know no 2 owners have received the same tube compliment- it's near impossible to source any quantity of NOS ECL86. I believe Justin has been shipping NOS Matched Quads of ECL86’s.

Gplamer and I probably have the closest tube compliment.

If you wanted to tube roll let me know and I’ll send you some sets of tubes. You can evaluate them and let us know how they sounded? A couple of tube changes will probably indicate whether the sound can me modified enough to meet your tastes.

Mitch

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #34 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call me? I'll hook you up.

No one has done any tube rolling with the Aristaeus. As far as I know no 2 owners have received the same tube compliment- it's near impossible to source any quantity of NOS ECL86. I believe Justin has been shipping NOS Matched Quads of ECL86’s.

Gplamer and I probably have the closest tube compliment.

If you wanted to tube roll let me know and I’ll send you some sets of tubes. You can evaluate them and let us know how they sounded? A couple of tube changes will probably indicate whether the sound can me modified enough to meet your tastes.

I wasn't talking about tuberolling, I was talking about changing the tube compliment entirely, such as the way you can kludge things so a 12BZ7 or 12DT7 could replace a 12AX7. 6GW8/ECL86s seem to be fairly unique.

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #35 of 110
No source upgrade will change their euphonic nature. They have clear sonic traits on every source I've heard them with but a better source will always sound better. The He90 sounds great out a SRD-7 so I doubt the amp is at fault.

I think there is only one way for you to go forward. I just got a second set of SR-Lambdas and removed the damping material and they are better in every way. The bass is tighter and more subtle and they are more like the SR-007, laid back and the music just emerges from the utter blackness instead of being forced. Makes an excellent headphone even better and all this just from a T1.
icon10.gif

You can always drive normal bias headphones from the Aristaeus by leaching the bias voltage from another amp/adaptor. All you need is one Stax socket, 2 Stax plugs and 5 wires.

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #36 of 110
I must respectfully disagree with this statement. Source changes can have a significant impact on the sound of an entire system. Also, isn't the EMP known as a warm amp, without the kind of treble sparkle that would make someone think the sound is edgy/non-diffuse? This might be contributing to your characterization of Sennheiser as diffuse. I don't know about that, though. I haven't spent enough time with the EMP to get a good idea of its sound. Actually, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by diffuse. I interpret it as a lack of hard edges. Where did you get that information on the Sennheiser philosophy?

It sounds to me like you are trying to convince jjcha to sell you his rig!
icon10.gif

Before that, I think experimenting with different sources and tuberolling would be a good idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if the source isn't "up to par", I doubt - without any personal experience with the HE90 in particular - that the tonal qualities are going to change much if you upgrade to something better. Maybe give the Omega I a try before selling the Aristaeus or invest the money from selling the HE90/Aristaeus in a monster source and amp to pair with the Qualia (I know I would do that).
Sennheisers all have that slightly diffuse (Sennheiser people are big on diffuse-field equalization), romanticized and speaker-sound-field-emulating sound and no amp or source upgrade is going to change that much. A balanced HD 650 from a Bel Canto DAC2 / EMP combo, but it's still the same diffuse sound. Anyways, you know all of this already, so just let me know when you intend to sell the Aristaeus.
biggrin.gif

Also, Jason, can you supply a slightly more specific description of euphonic sound. The word has come up a few times here and I feel like there is another, audiophile definition that I don't know but which is agreed upon by those who do. I have an idea of what you mean, but I can't quite get your meaning. The dictionary defines euphony simply as pleasing sound. I know you mean something else. Something more relaxed? Or lacking impact? Are you talking dynamic range maybe? I've never really used the word euphonic as a negative. I would imagine that the detail must be pretty good with the HE90, but I can also imagine that the impact is what you are missing. I don't know.

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #37 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must respectfully disagree with this statement. Source changes can have a significant impact on the sound of an entire system. Also, isn't the EMP known as a warm amp, without the kind of treble sparkle that would make someone think the sound is edgy/non-diffuse? This might be contributing to your characterization of Sennheiser as diffuse. I don't know about that, though. I haven't spent enough time with the EMP to get a good idea of its sound. Actually, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by diffuse. I interpret it as a lack of hard edges. Where did you get that information on the Sennheiser philosophy?

icon10.gif

Before that, I think experimenting with different sources and tuberolling would be a good idea.

Source changes can affect the balance and overall quality of the sound, but it won't stop the HE90 sounding like an HE90. Otherwise it wouldn't matter what headphone we bought; we could just make whatever we want sound however we want simply by fiddling with upstream components.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #38 of 110
I heard the HE-90 with a set up tailor made for it. Did a direct comparison to the K-1000/F1. I felt the HE-90 was technically better, BUT I think the K-1000 is more to my taste.

Stats are great but I always feel like their sound is manufactured. I get a kind of microwave ultra fast vibration feel with them that makes things sound metallic and manufactured. I guess I just prefer the smooth clean sound of the HP-2 and the K-1000. I also felt this way about the OII to some extent.

Don't get me wrong I could spend hour after hour with the HE-90
orphsmile.gif
In the end, I just like dynamic drivers. This goes for speakers too but to a lesser degree. Maybe your a dynamic driver guy in the end?

I wonder if I'd like the Qualia. I'd better not hear it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #39 of 110
Funny how people are saying adjust your system to make the HE-90 sound good. I guess all Senns require hard core systems to sound good - from the HD650 --> HE-90.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #40 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Source changes can affect the balance and overall quality of the sound, but it won't stop the HE90 sounding like an HE90. Otherwise it wouldn't matter what headphone we bought; we could just make whatever we want sound however we want simply by fiddling with upstream components.

I agree, but one of the things jjcha is interested in is bringing the HE90 closer to his sound. One way would be to change the source. Changing the transducer might change too much. If jjcha wasn't willing to give his HE90 a chance, we would be having this discussion in the for sale forums (which, of course, isn't allowed). I also think you underestimate the impact of source changes with your analogy. A similar analogy can be used to de-value any component in the chain. Although I do see what you mean as the best source would be no source at all (that is, the best source is the pure music which is then played back by the amp and the cans). But then again, the best headphone or amp is none at all... This is becoming too Zen. What is the sound of one source clapping?

Perhaps what I mean is that the impact of source upgrades is significant.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #41 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny how people are saying adjust your system to make the HE-90 sound good. I guess all Senns require hard core systems to sound good - from the HD650 --> HE-90.

The HE90 and HE60 are far easier to drive than the Omega II is. It's not so much a case of needing a hardcore system as getting good system synergy.

Quote:

I agree, but one of the things jjcha is interested in is bringing the HE90 closer to his sound. One way would be to change the source. Changing the transducer might change too much. If jjcha wasn't willing to give his HE90 a chance, we would be having this discussion in the for sale forums (which, of course, isn't allowed). I also think you underestimate the impact of source changes with your analogy. A similar analogy can be used to de-value any component in the chain. Although I do see what you mean as the best source would be no source at all (that is, the best source is the pure music which is then played back by the amp and the cans). But then again, the best headphone or amp is none at all... This is becoming too Zen. What is the sound of one source clapping?

Perhaps what I mean is that the impact of source upgrades is significant.

I think you're putting works in my mouth a bit there.

Tweaking components is all well and good, but if you simply don't enjoy listening to the component in question then no amount of tweaking is going to change that. If you like the sound but there are a few things about it you're not happy with then yes, there is a valid reason to tweak.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #42 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Funny how people say that about the k1000 too
wink.gif
icon10.gif
I think sometimes this forum spends too much time yelling "it's your amp" if someone is not into a headphone. Once you find a headphone that floats your boat, it will sound that much better to you with a high end system. All headphones have different characters that some will gravitate towards and others not. Doesn't matter how expensive the source is....if a headphone is not your cup of tea, it still won't be your cup of tea with an ultra high end source.

I've caught on that Senns are just not your cup of tea Rob...to each his own!
icon10.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #43 of 110
“Funny how people are saying adjust your system to make the HE-90 sound good.”

Take the best wine ever made and drink it out of a dirty glass- umm good?

Ok realize there is more than 1 member here who doesn’t like the HE90’s and reminds us of that in every HE90 / HE90 amp thread- Thanks.

The basic question is- what drove you to buy the HE90’s? What are you looking for in your sound and what will give you that? You don’t have to like the HE90s but you do have to have a system that you like.

Have you ever heard the HE90’s in a system that you liked? If so what is different? Can you achieve what you’re looking for in the HE90’s or is it really somewhere else? It doesn’t matter where it is, you being happy is all that matters.

You could off the HE90’s and get a nice source and the O2’s?

Mitch

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #44 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HE90 and HE60 are far easier to drive than the Omega II is. It's not so much a case of needing a hardcore system as getting good system synergy.

I think you're putting works in my mouth a bit there.

Tweaking components is all well and good, but if you simply don't enjoy listening to the component in question then no amount of tweaking is going to change that. If you like the sound but there are a few things about it you're not happy with then yes, there is a valid reason to tweak.

I'm not interested in having an argument, but changing sources is hardly a "tweak." Please look at my other posts in this thread. Source changes are not my only recommendation to jjcha. But if he wants to keep the HE90 and Aristaeus, what else is there to change? If he was willing to change his amp the first thing I would recommend is a Maxxed ES-1.

If he wants to change his entire rig I suggested certain things in that area as well. I'm trying to help jjcha find his sound and I'm also trying to answer his original question. That's all.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #45 of 110
Quote:

I must respectfully disagree with this statement. Source changes can have a significant impact on the sound of an entire system.

Certainly but IME not to the degree that it can seriously change a system's tonal balance or timbre. I think some sources like the Rega Planet 2000 have a habit of imposing their character on the rest of the system, but with most other sources I've tried, the changes were much more subtle as far as tonal characteristics are concerned. Admittedly, distinguising between tonal and technical traits might be a bit of hair splitting, but I think it's a fair differentiation to make.

Quote:

Also, isn't the EMP known as a warm amp, without the kind of treble sparkle that would make someone think the sound is edgy/non-diffuse? This might be contributing to your characterization of Sennheiser as diffuse. I don't know about that, though. I haven't spent enough time with the EMP to get a good idea of its sound. Actually, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by diffuse. I interpret it as a lack of hard edges.

The EMP being warm is exactly my point. Sorry if I didn't state it more clearly. The HD 650 still sounded like one regardless of being driven from a rather analytical Dynamight and an analytical source (Benchmark DAC1) compared to the warm and fuzzy EMP paired with a more analog-sounding Bel Canto DAC2. By diffuse, I mean that the attack and notes aren't as sharp as compared to a Sony SA5000 or AKG K1000 for instance.

Quote:

Where did you get that information on the Sennheiser philosophy?

http://buy.sennheiserusa.com/ASP/Sen...df/orpheus.pdf
Most of their headphones are diffuse-field equalised if I remember correctly.

Quote:

icon10.gif

That, too.
biggrin.gif

Anyways, sorry Jason for going a bit off-topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back