I think I'm having a grounded loop issue (Studio monitors and Desktop PC)
Mar 20, 2016 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Xileize

New Head-Fier
Hey,

So I've had this problem since I got my speakers over a year ago, but I recently rearranged my room and it got a lot worse to the point of it not being bearable any more. I think it's a grounded loop problem, but I'd appreciate some input from people more knowledgeable than me.

I have two JBL LSR205 monitors hooked up to my pc, using a Stagg SYC3/MPS2PE stereo minijack to 2 x mono jack cable (specifically this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ARV3GK/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item).

This is then plugged into a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS. Originally, all of my cables were plugged into different outlets, but I recently bought a power strip to try and alleviate the problem to no avail.

The main problem stems from the fact that my speakers seem to pick up interference from my graphics card. When browsing the internet or whatever, there's a very faint hum, but that's completely manageable. When I play game however, the interference becomes incredibly loud and annoying, suggesting it's picking up the extra power being supplied to the graphics card.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 8
Try removing the Audigy 2 ZS card and connect the speakers to the motherboard's on-board audio (with on-board audio enabled).
If that removes the noise, then you know the Audigy 2 ZS was the problem.

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the CL Audigy 2 ZS?
Active on-board might be causing issues with the Audigy.

Replace the Audigy 2 ZS with a FiiO D03K optical DAC, ($30 USD).
Or a SMSL SD-192 Pro optical DAC, ($50 USD).
(most motherboards come with an optical output port)
Using optical would stop any ground loop between computer and speakers.

You could try a USB DAC

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 8
The onboard noise is actually worse than with the Audigy 2 ZS and that's why I bought the Audigy 2 to begin with.

I haven't tried disabling the on-board audio as I do actually use the front panel for headphones (I work from home a couple of days a week so I use them for VOIP calling), so I'd rather keep the front panel operational.

I had a quick look and it would appear that my motherboard (Z87-G41 PC Mate) actually doesn't have an optical port.

Are there any USB DACs you'd recommend?

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 8
  The on-board noise is actually worse than with the Audigy 2 ZS and that's why I bought the Audigy 2 to begin with.
I haven't tried disabling the on-board audio as I do actually use the front panel for headphones (I work from home a couple of days a week so I use them for VOIP calling), so I'd rather keep the front panel operational.
I had a quick look and it would appear that my motherboard (Z87-G41 PC Mate) actually doesn't have an optical port.
Are there any USB DACs you'd recommend?

USB DACs.
ELE EL-D01, $18
FiiO D5, $25
Assorted Hifimediy USB DACs, $30-$60

You also might consider replacing the Audigy 2 ZS with a sound card that comes with the front panel connector.

Maybe a Xonar DGX ($35-$40)
Creative Labs also has the newer Audigy RX & FX cards

You might try temporarily disabling the on-board audio, in the BIOS, then test the speaker's audio (connected to the Audigy 2ZS).
See if it help clear up the noise.

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 8
Hey,

Apologies for the late reply, but I have tried a few things in the interim.

I bought a Behringer UCA222 to try and fix the issue, to no avail. I also decided to get some better shielded cables as the ones I had were cheap rubbish, but that unfortunately didn't help either.

I'm running out of ideas. :frowning2:

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 8
This is uncanny because i bought a pair of LSR305s (I assume that's what you meant) a couple of months ago and had a very similar experience to you. I don't know if the cause was groundloop issue or EMI from the components (sound card, graphic cards, fans etc.) inside the case. Whenever I turn on games that are super taxing on the graphics, the noise, screech even, is unbearable. The noise level seemed to vary according to the frame rate as well.

I went through a list of possible problems and corresponding solutions but to no avail. My brother and I then decided to take apart the case (as part of my annual scheduled cleaning), and rearrange the fans, re-route cables, re-sit the RAM modules and cards. Oddly enough, that helped eliminate the screeching noise when I start up games.

However, at this moment, I still hear a faint hum/low-level white noise (this could be groundloop issue). I even get a power filter to help reduce the hum but since I still plug my speakers and computers to the same filter and to the same outlet (I have 2 other outlets in my room but they are just not conveniently located; besides, they seem to belong to the same circuit anyway), the hum is still there and I just choose to live with it.

Hum and interference noise is very painful to tackle. Using different outlets for your speakers and computers is usually the most common advice. It works for most but not all. If that still doesn't help, you have to take it down to the component-level. Try to single out what seem to cause the interference the most (which is the graphics card in your case). Try to reroute your cables, re-sit your cards/RAM modules. Try different VGA cables to pull power from the PSU.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mar 31, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 8
  This is uncanny because i bought a pair of LSR305s (I assume that's what you meant) a couple of months ago and had a very similar experience to you. I don't know if the cause was groundloop issue or EMI from the components (sound card, graphic cards, fans etc.) inside the case. Whenever I turn on games that are super taxing on the graphics, the noise, screech even, is unbearable. The noise level seemed to vary according to the frame rate as well.

I went through a list of possible problems and corresponding solutions but to no avail. My brother and I then decided to take apart the case (as part of my annual scheduled cleaning), and rearrange the fans, re-route cables, re-sit the RAM modules and cards. Oddly enough, that helped eliminate the screeching noise when I start up games.

However, at this moment, I still hear a faint hum/low-level white noise (this could be groundloop issue). I even get a power filter to help reduce the hum but since I still plug my speakers and computers to the same filter and to the same outlet (I have 2 other outlets in my room but they are just not conveniently located; besides, they seem to belong to the same circuit anyway), the hum is still there and I just choose to live with it.

Hum and interference noise is very painful to tackle. Using different outlets for your speakers and computers is usually the most common advice. It works for most but not all. If that still doesn't help, you have to take it down to the component-level. Try to single out what seem to cause the interference the most (which is the graphics card in your case). Try to reroute your cables, re-sit your cards/RAM modules. Try different VGA cables to pull power from the PSU.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I did mean 305, didn't even notice!

My PC is definitely overdue a cleaning, so I may do this at the weekend.

My problem did actually get worse after moving my PC a month or so ago (didn't take it apart, just picked it up out moved it out the room to get some new furniture in), so there's a definite possibility that the components became a bit loose or some cables moved around. I'll have a play and report back ASAP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back