I think I'll stop now
Jun 27, 2002 at 10:13 AM Post #17 of 22
Heh, OK mate. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

But before I go, I would like to remind you of something: all absolute statements are wrong.

Wait, that was an absolute statement....

*head explodes*

Jun 27, 2002 at 10:48 AM Post #18 of 22
The best way I've found for an Internet/Audio geek like me, who likes to spend as much time in cars as possible, to get fit is to ride a overloaded Freeride mountain bike as a commuting transport. Not only does it give you incredible training resistance, it gets you some looks as well.

And if you have enough energy after pedalling into town, you can always pull some tricks to impress whoevers looking (usually an 80 year old grandma...
mad.gif
)

Jun 27, 2002 at 4:44 PM Post #19 of 22
um, thanks. looks like the Sony DVP-NS500V is the way to go. from now until July 2nd it is going for $171 shipped. I think I'll get it.

Perhaps I need to clarify a bit. I'm not trying to get in better shape to attract women, I'm doing it for myself. Every day I feel sore I feel like I've done something usefull.

Jun 27, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #20 of 22
Yes, that's a great feeling, isn't it? If you really want to feel sore, go lift though. Load up the squat bar and you'll feel all kinds of sore the next day.

If you're trying to burn calories, though, think about using a rowing machine. No impact on the knees (or anywhere else). I row collegiately and can easily burn 1000 calories in an hour on the erg. At your size, you'd probably be able to burn at least as many even if you're not in great shape. There was a guy on our freshman heavyweight team who came in at the start of the season at about 280-290lbs and was down to about 220lbs by the time we packed up for the summer. And he'd probably gained quite a few pounds in muscle, so the change was even more dramatic. Just make sure you know how to use the machines though ... won't do **** for you if you do it wrong, and you'll probably kill your back.

kererlybonto

Jun 27, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #21 of 22
We are thinking along the same lines, Capt. I have not been active here, for awhile now, but I have lost 20 pounds, built a new computer and got a small network set up in my house, Read several books and made a new friend. However, I have missed some of the people who hang out here. (Just don't disappear completely, Capt B. )

Jun 28, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #22 of 22
Let me just jump in here........

I would say 95% of women, like men, are very very shallow.

They say they want a kind, gentle, understanding, etc......

In reality, they want a big macho stud with mucho money.
Then they get that, and they can't figure out what happened when they get the nasties that come with it. To me, justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back