I think id like to get into some Dave Mathews, where to start?
Dec 5, 2005 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I dont know anything by DM...and I really dont know if theyre for me.

So, can you guys maybe give me a little description of them and maybe some of their musical traits that you like/love and think contributes to them being a great band?

Feel free to ramble; I know nothing about them but have heard they are great musicians so I feel I have to give them an honest try.

Where should I start?

Dec 5, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 24
Crash is an obvious choice. Yeah, it's their more popular stuff, but the whole album really is good. The music has a lot layers to it and a funky beat. It's got that slightly ecclectic, artsy vibe to it, but it still grooves--good stuff.

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #3 of 24
I would buy these four albums first, and then buy Crash (I like the album, but I think these are better):

1) Dave Matthews Band - Live at Red Rocks

2) Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Live at Luther College

3) Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming

4) Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets

My comment would be to stick with stuff that was produced by Steve Lilywhite. Everything that they've done in the studio since they stopped collaborating is inconsistent and weak IMHO.

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 24
I agree with elrod in that those are great albums, but I also agree Crash is a great album, all their stuff is great. Just pick up any album by them, they are all pretty darn good.

Dec 5, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 24
My top five would be:

1. Live at Luther College
2. Before These Crowded Streets
3. Crash
4. Live at Red Rocks (not Weekend at Red Rocks)
5. Under the Table and Dreaming

If you can get your hands on the Lilywhite Sessions I'd add that to the list, the rough studio sessions are lightyears better than Busted Stuff. Also the band has an open taping policy so there are a wealth of great recordings available on the internet. I've always been partial to the 1998 and 2000 full band tours and the 1999 and 2003 Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds acoustic tours. Check out antsmarching.org for live recording downloads.

Dec 5, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 24
What other music do you like? Why do you want to check out DMB? What kind of music are you looking for?

Not to be negative, but I might suggest skipping them altogether. Sure, some folks dig them. But you might be able to get what you are looking for from better sources, imo. Then again, you might love them as well.

I have found that with 'jam' bands studio is usually the best way to get used to songs, then move into the much more beloved live stuff.

Dec 5, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 24
Crash

It's the most commercially accessible album. If you like this, and i think you will, then try these (in the following order):

1. Under the table and dreaming
2. Before these crowded streets
3. Some Devil (dave matthews solo cd)

I'm personally not into the official live albums, i find them too anemic and lacking in setlists. Concerts taped by fans can be found quite easily and i highly suggest trying those over the commercial releases, plus, many of the live concerts taped by fans sound damn good. You can also find many soundboards recordings on the net (www.antsmarching.org) is one place and some of these sbds sound pretty damn good. Live At Luther College is highly regarded by many and i do recall it being a well recording live album, i just never got into it. Red Rocks is another good option and i do think the setlist is good, eh, i prefer the unofficial stuff, its more raw for some reason.

Dec 5, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nmculbreth
If you can get your hands on the Lilywhite Sessions I'd add that to the list, the rough studio sessions are lightyears better than Busted Stuff. Also the band has an open taping policy so there are a wealth of great recordings available on the internet. I've always been partial to the 1998 and 2000 full band tours and the 1999 and 2003 Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds acoustic tours. Check out antsmarching.org for live recording downloads.

Hell yeah. The lillywhite sessions are excellent and i agree i prefer them over the Busted Stuff album which is sorely lacking and well, just plain boring at times.

Dec 7, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #14 of 24
Another vote for Live at Red Rocks. It is a great place to start with DMB.

As for the best recording of the Lillywhite Sessions, I would recommend the live trax vol. 3. Here is a link
The concert is only available on-line just FYI.

It also has a really good performance of The Maker on it and it is the best of the live trax series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back