I think I picked the wrong source
Mar 5, 2004 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jbroad572

500+ Head-Fier
Well I bought a Pioneer 563A last week and really enjoyed it and the sound that came from it. I read some reviews on the Sony DVP-NC685V and it seemed like it would be superior to the Pioneer. So I got it in this weekend and I was not impressed, so I went and bought the Pioneer again to compare the 2. I must say the Pioneer sounds better, it's much more lively, brighter, and it seems like the output is superior than the Sony. I ordered the Sony from Onecall and I think they charge 15% restock fee, so by the time I pay the shipping and the restock, I've lost $40. I keep trying to convince myself the Sony sounds better, it just needs to broken in
rolleyes.gif
. Maybe some pure silver IC's will brighten it up. Argh!!! I always make the bad decisions.

Mar 5, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 8
Yea and I paid $230 for this Sony and the Pioneer is definitely better. It only lacks 5 disc changer, and 2 audio outputs.

Mar 5, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 8
No offense guys but doesn't it strike you odd the difference in cost your spending on your sources in comparison to the rest of your gear? I can't talk though, I've been there myself but I'm going to finally pick up something half decent in the near future.

Jbroad572 I suspect you've spent almost as much on a replacement cable for your Senns as you have for your new source. A decent source should make much more of a difference than a cable upgrade ever will. With that in mind, I'd recommend returning the Sony and getting at least a mid-level source or buy the 563 with and get it modded, then you'll be starting to get to hear what the rest of your gear is really capable of.
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
the difference in cost your spending on your sources in comparison to the rest of your gear?

This is my, recently realized, problem as well.

Mar 6, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by eyeteeth
This is my, recently realized, problem as well.

Hehe, but the source listed in your profile doesn't look too bad, probably better than what I'm going to be getting which is most likely a Cambridge Azur 640C.

Mar 6, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero

Jbroad572 I suspect you've spent almost as much on a replacement cable for your Senns as you have for your new source. A decent source should make much more of a difference than a cable upgrade ever will. With that in mind, I'd recommend returning the Sony and getting at least a mid-level source or buy the 563 with and get it modded, then you'll be starting to get to hear what the rest of your gear is really capable of.
wink.gif

You are probably right about that. I am going to listen some more and maybe my mind will be changed. If not, I'm going to sell the Sony, keep the Pioneer and just upgtrade the Pioneer later down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back