I think I have been freed from upgradititis
Nov 2, 2006 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MikoLayer

1000+ Head-Fier
Head-fi gradually have become a place to seek answers whenever I have issues to deal with or urgent to upgrade my audio gear. If memory serves me right, I havnt visited here for past few months. That of course, is partly due to being overwhelmed with school work and whatnot, but perhaps the bigger reason is because I feel no need to upgrade any more.

Few months ago, I have ordered a set of K701s to find out what all the fuss is about. Upon receving them after a long wait, I discovered they definitely deserve some praise and should be set aside as keepers. However, they would never replace my main cans - HD650 with some DIY replacement cables. My initial goal was to find a sub-headphone to give an alternate experience just so I wouldnt get bored of listening to the same phone, and complement the senns on songs they could sound better. K701 does just that, but not much more to me.

One major realization that struck me is that I have a very peculiar taste in music, being extremely sensitive to brightness by head-fi standards from what I can tell. This automatically rules out the possibility of myself shooting for many exquisite headphones in the higher echelon. While I did like K701's distinctive soundstanging and clear presentation, it never quite gave the soothing and immersive nature of sound the senns were able to present with lushness. Overall, I feel I have long since past the point of diminishing returns.

There were bunch of things I have done to improve the sound - ranging from tube dampers, power conditioner to fiddling with nagging ground-loop trouble and many more. Things have piled up on top of each other, culminating to what I find thoroughly pleasant without any apparant complaints.

Ultimately, I would wanna see and hear what a beauty and beast SDS XLR is, someday. Unless I hit the jackpot with lotto or get hired and become able to support myself (kinda hard without the green card, still in college anyway), I dont see that happening anytime soon.

My next investment in audio would probably mainfest itself as a decent 2ch bookshelf speakers/amps - possibly a set of x-ls. All in all I finally seem to have reached a quasi-destination (for a good while, at least), though it did take a good bit of fortune to get here. My sincere condolescenes to fellow head-fiers and their poor wallets
wink.gif
Hang in there!

Nov 2, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Hahaha. I think that's gotta be the first time I've heard anyone consider creating a purpose-built sleep rig!

Miko - congrats. I hope you remain happy for a long time. Just make sure you check in from time to time, and make use of the forums when it is inevitably time to upgrade or simply replace old gear again.

Cheers!

Nov 3, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
Hahaha. I think that's gotta be the first time I've heard anyone consider creating a purpose-built sleep rig!

Miko - congrats. I hope you remain happy for a long time. Just make sure you check in from time to time, and make use of the forums when it is inevitably time to upgrade or simply replace old gear again.

Cheers!

Well I was going to get a HD650, so it should help put me to sleep
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #5 of 6
Bought my first set of Audio Technica ATH a-900LTD's and found the sweet spot according to my needs, I use the pc a lot for gaming, movies, and some music. I think I'm set with this, I think once you find a comfort zone, unless you got money out the ying yang, stay there. Only thing I might add in future is an amp. Headphones wise I'm set. Home audio wise it's only the beginning. I was thinking of starting with a Denon 2807 and a pair of Cambridge Sound Worms M80's to compliment the arrival of the PS3.

Nov 4, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Well I was going to get a HD650, so it should help put me to sleep
biggrin.gif

I used the HD650 for a good amount of time in my bed-fi rig. I had no trouble falling asleep while listening to them.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back