I think I found the loudest song ever...
Mar 19, 2010 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Head Injury

Headphoneus Supremus
UPDATE: SHOT IN THE HEAD, THE SONG THIS POST IS ABOUT, IS NO LONGER THE MASTER OF LOUD. THE HONOR NOW BELONGS TO:

Artist: Gaybomb
Song: Crank Bang
dB: -20.72

The waveform of SHOT IN THE HEAD is funner to look at, though, so it remains the focus of the topic.

From the SXSW 2007 artist showcase torrent.

#??? (just realized my numbering of the files was wacky because of some untagged/no extension files. It's in there somewhere!)
Artist: Rusted Shut
Song: SHOT IN THE HEAD (even the title screams at you
biggrin.gif
)

89.0db Track ReplayGain: -17.48db. Yes, it has to be replaygained down 17.48. For those doing the math, that's nearly a 3/4 reduction in volume. Usually I consider something replaygained down 10db (1/2 volume) to be pretty loud. This is ridiculous.

The song itself is nothing but one long clip, really. You can't even hear the song because there's just one long fuzzy buzz the whole way through. I had to listen very closely to realize that there was even a bass drum. Here's an Audacity picture of the waveform, then of the clipping:

shotwaveform.jpg

shotwaveformclip.jpg

In Audacity I have to zoom in to a one-second scale to see any noticeable gaps, and even then they were few and far between:

shotwaveformzoom.jpg

If I had Death Magnetic to compare, I would. My next loudest song is I think a Flaming Lips one at around -13.8db. This song wins hands-down though. I can e-mail it to you if you want to listen to it, because it was given out as a free sample. You'll sympathize with the title if you do.

So, what's your loudest song?

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 24
Holy &%$#.
There comes a point where it feels like they're intentionally ruining the music. This is that point.

Edit: I just listened to it. Oh my god.....

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 24
Yeah, I think you have a really strong contender there.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #10 of 24
=O!!! period.

btw to the OP, your username made me giggle.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #15 of 24
<very long string of curse words>

I just tried to listen to this song through my laptop speakers, and shut the window in less than 13 seconds. I have some tolerance for this kind of stuff, hell some of the songs I listen use white noise/static at points in the song (not very often, only one comes to mind right away, but I'm sure I can find others).

but I could just barely hear anything over the static/white noice/what ever that was-- and what I could hear sounded horrible, I can not begin to describe that wretched sound.

and it was pretty loud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back