I swallowed the pill and now I'm deep in the rabbit hole............
Mar 9, 2014 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

galt

New Head-Fier
Greetings all, 

I would like to say thank you to all who have shared their knowledge and opinions here in the forums over the years. You have provided me with much information to mine over the last three weeks. It has been consuming and fun. I now ask for your opinions. 

I mainly listen to: classic rock like Zeppelin; blues from delta acoustic to Kenny Wayne Shepherd; jam bands like Phish, Widespread Panic, The Heavy Pets. Mix in some modern bluegrass and modern country with a twist of classical and you have my profile. The phones will be for indoor use only and sub bass is not a priority. Over the ear, closed or open. Portability is not a concern. I will be using a Gen7 iPod Classic (Line out, and amp if necessary) to feed the phones. MP3 format from iTunes and Amazon. I mostly listen to music flat, just as it was meant to be from the studio. I could spend up to two hours listening to music through these phones.

I have tried some burned in Grado SRi80s with an E11 and the experience was unpleasant. I also tested a burned in AD900x straight from my Gen7 ipod Classic and while the listening experience was pleasant, something was missing or things just didn't line up right for my ears. I'm looking for a set of phones that will give me the punchy bass of funk while delivering the low bass of Zeppelin's "No Quarter". I like the midrange to be in its place and the treble needs to hit the mark but be controlled.  

I have listed some phones below I am considering, two closed & three open. The next pair I buy I keep. At this point in time it seems the HE400 may fit my needs the best. 

Audio Technica ATHM50x
Shure SRH840
Sennheiser HD598, amp
Fidelio X1/28
Hifiman HE-400, amp

I hope to hear comments about my list and recommendations for phones not listed. Keep your powder dry. 

OD

EDIT: SoundMAGIC HP100s are also on my list but I am fearful of quality issues. Should I be? 

Mar 9, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 7
Yes for that music, HE400 is the best on the list, followed (not closely) by SRH840.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 7
I would also add the AKG Q701 to the list. I'm listening to No Quarter through my Q701's & E17 as I post this, it sounds damn good. I also have the HD598 but I'm returning them, JB does not sound right at all, there is too much grit in the mid range. I was hoping it was a burn in concern so I burned them in for three days straight, yes, they improved but not enough. I just can't get past the grainy mids., doesn't matter if I run them through my Sansui AU or E17, still too gritty with no definition in the cymbals. The Q701's are crisp & airy with an excellent soundstage BUT I also run AKG mics so it makes sense why my ears prefer the Q701's. I've seen & taped Panic plenty, the Senns are not realistic on my recordings or WSP releases. There's my two cents if it matters. Good luck in your search!

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 7
I'm on the fence (just got them). I think I like them with the pleather pads better.

But yeah. The HE-400s are an impressive set of headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Probably depends on what you are listening to.

I found the velour pads to be much better than the pleather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back