I suggest if you are in the USA right now, stick with USPS over UPS
Mar 18, 2021 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jessedavid4

New Head-Fier
I am writing this post as a helpful post to my new fellow audiophiles!

tl;dr -- UPS using COVID-19 excuse to delay shipments when they don't have to. USPS more reliable atm.

In 2019 up into march 2020, I worked for UPS in their Air logistics. Their workload was going up prior to my leaving.
So what they decided to do was lay off less of the temporary employees and slowly add in more. After I left in late March,
former co-workers were asked to rejoin in the beginning of April. About 3 months after that, two of my former co-workers
told me that they hired nearly 40% more employees at this one location. A friend of mine, who is a feeder driver, told me
that they have outsourced drivers (they've only ever hired drivers by promoting within via union workers).

So by September 2020, they had nearly double the feeder drivers, ramp agents and even had about 6 more planes (this is from a source that was just guessing at that point in terms of workload) for that location.

Now we are in March 2021 and apparently they have hired more and brought in even more planes.

I am bringing this up because they are using the COVID-19 pandemic as an excuse for delays in deliveries and what not.
But to help my fellow audiophiles in the USA, if you plan on selling or trading or just shipping in the US, I suggest that you stick
with USPS right now as they are the most efficient and reliable. UPS isn't actually behind, but they are using the excuse to delay
some of their shipping for some reason, yet I haven't figured it out and know no one that is further up in the company.

Hope you take my suggestion if you plan to ship in the United States!

-Jesse

Mar 18, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 8
Your speculations and reasoning is weak. How can you write this BS without knowing inner details of the operations?
Not to mentioned taking into consideration gov. contracts, main accounts obligations, spike in shipping services and sick leave.
You don’t know what you’re taking about.
And just so you know USPS is using UPS planes for air services. Lol

Mar 19, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 8
Your speculations and reasoning is weak. How can you write this BS without knowing inner details of the operations?
Not to mentioned taking into consideration gov. contracts, main accounts obligations, spike in shipping services and sick leave.
You don’t know what you’re taking about.
And just so you know USPS is using UPS planes for air services. Lol
I do know this. They've been contracted for years. And I've loaded quite a few 757's with postal mail.

You're right, I don't know all the inner workings. But I suppose I don't know why the californian government is using the same excuse for unemployment in california and why only 40%, statistically speaking as to their records, has gotten the extended benefits, while the other 60% have not.

This isn't a troll post. UPS has been using this "because of Covid-19, we cannot handle the workload" excuse since march of last year.

You seem very offended by this post based on your tone of your comment, not sure why actually. But this has been going on for literally a year now.

Their operations have been exceeding, more planes, more workers, more locations, more routes. To be quite frank, I'm pretty sure the actual statistics and numbers are public as for stock reasons.

And really , much like a lot of other people and companies, the excuses of the virus are getting old.

Air cargo has definitely increased since March 2020, that is a fact and well known. Even still, the increase in employees and the opening of destinations account for the fact that they are doing more business.

Just to give you an idea, I worked on the second largest UPS hub in the world. The first is in Louisville KT, with about 3 times the amount of planes compared to where I work. So although I can't get all the information, I can get a lot from one of their busiest locations from current employees.

Like I said, not a troll post. But the delays exist for some reason when they shouldn't.

-Jesse

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 8
I do know this. They've been contracted for years. And I've loaded quite a few 757's with postal mail.

You're right, I don't know all the inner workings. But I suppose I don't know why the californian government is using the same excuse for unemployment in california and why only 40%, statistically speaking as to their records, has gotten the extended benefits, while the other 60% have not.

This isn't a troll post. UPS has been using this "because of Covid-19, we cannot handle the workload" excuse since march of last year.

You seem very offended by this post based on your tone of your comment, not sure why actually. But this has been going on for literally a year now.

Their operations have been exceeding, more planes, more workers, more locations, more routes. To be quite frank, I'm pretty sure the actual statistics and numbers are public as for stock reasons.

And really , much like a lot of other people and companies, the excuses of the virus are getting old.

Air cargo has definitely increased since March 2020, that is a fact and well known. Even still, the increase in employees and the opening of destinations account for the fact that they are doing more business.

Just to give you an idea, I worked on the second largest UPS hub in the world. The first is in Louisville KT, with about 3 times the amount of planes compared to where I work. So although I can't get all the information, I can get a lot from one of their busiest locations from current employees.

Like I said, not a troll post. But the delays exist for some reason when they shouldn't.

-Jesse
If you actually worked for UPS during Covid pandemic, than you should know how overwhelmed it got with online orders, shortages of equipment, skilled hands available and not enough hrs in a day to keep supply chain moving. Most UPS employees have worked OT since pandemic started. Literally maxing out hrs every week to keep up with the demand.
I am not offended but puzzled with this post.
Seems like you have personal agenda. And not all the facts.

Mar 19, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 8
If you actually worked for UPS during Covid pandemic, than you should know how overwhelmed it got with online orders, shortages of equipment, skilled hands available and not enough hrs in a day to keep supply chain moving. Most UPS employees have worked OT since pandemic started. Literally maxing out hrs every week to keep up with the demand.
I am not offended but puzzled with this post.
Seems like you have personal agenda. And not all the facts.
Maxing out hours? What the heck are you on about? How much do you actually know about working at UPS? A majority, and I mean a majority of their positions are part-time positions with offered over time. And no, it was not as overwhelming as it is during the Holidays. So generally, for 10 months out of the year, employees work an average of 18 hours per week. (this does not include drivers and feeder drivers, and it doesn't include UPS employees, it actually includes the union workers contracted through UPS, which makes up a good majority of the company, probably some where between 85-90%, although that number is mixed in locations from what I've been told, some areas there may be like 50% of the union workers and other places closer to 90%, really just depends on who you're talking to and where you're at)

This isn't personal... Did I say it was? I think you really are just not reading the post correctly lol. Apparently some people don't know how to read a post properly and take the tone differently. Sorry if my west coast english grammar isn't as clearly toned as your east coast english grammar lol.

-Jesse

Mar 19, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 8
Maxing out hours? What the heck are you on about? How much do you actually know about working at UPS? A majority, and I mean a majority of their positions are part-time positions with offered over time. And no, it was not as overwhelming as it is during the Holidays. So generally, for 10 months out of the year, employees work an average of 18 hours per week. (this does not include drivers and feeder drivers, and it doesn't include UPS employees, it actually includes the union workers contracted through UPS, which makes up a good majority of the company, probably some where between 85-90%, although that number is mixed in locations from what I've been told, some areas there may be like 50% of the union workers and other places closer to 90%, really just depends on who you're talking to and where you're at)

This isn't personal... Did I say it was? I think you really are just not reading the post correctly lol. Apparently some people don't know how to read a post properly and take the tone differently. Sorry if my west coast english grammar isn't as clearly toned as your east coast english grammar lol.

-Jesse
I don’t want to get into logistic details. But you’re correct that most of airport sort/deck employees are non union. Not sure what it has to do with anything. Lol
Feeders and package drivers maxing out hrs every week. So not sure what you’re smoking or what your beef is. And I have worked for UPS for quite a while.
Perhaps you should take your grievances somewhere else. Like I have said, it seems like personal vendetta since your facts are weirdly misrepresented.
And your posts/thread on headphone forum is even more disturbing, if not straight up, inappropriate.
Now take your packages to USPS and enjoy that West Cost paradise. Lmao

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 8
USPS has been straight garbage for 6+ months. I ordered like two dozen vintage car parts about six weeks ago on eBay for some repairs. Almost all were small packages shipped from the East Coast to California from many different vendors. ALL were quoted as delivery in 2-4 days. I think only ONE package made that estimate. Most were stuck for 1-2 weeks in transit centers with no tracking. One package took 4 weeks. A couple Priority packages took 2 weeks. Due to this, I will NEVER use USPS for long-distance shipping, only within California. In contrast, UPS and Fedex have been reliable within 1-2 days.

Mar 20, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 8
I don’t want to get into logistic details. But you’re correct that most of airport sort/deck employees are non union. Not sure what it has to do with anything. Lol
Feeders and package drivers maxing out hrs every week. So not sure what you’re smoking or what your beef is. And I have worked for UPS for quite a while.
Perhaps you should take your grievances somewhere else. Like I have said, it seems like personal vendetta since your facts are weirdly misrepresented.
And your posts/thread on headphone forum is even more disturbing, if not straight up, inappropriate.
Now take your packages to USPS and enjoy that West Cost paradise. Lmao
I mean no offense to this at all. But did you like read my last comment? I'm writing in dumbed down 9th grade american english so people can understand it. I don't mean this in any bad way. I'm not sure where you think my facts are weirdly misrepresented? But okay... I guess since you are from the east coast, you probably know more than us west coast people.

Also, and I quote from the forum guidelines: "Head-Fi generally allow for discussion of general audio topics and even completely non-headphone / non-audio / non-music topics (e.g., the Members' Lounge forum)" (in case you didn't realize this is the Members' Lounge forum). If you think it's inappropriate I suppose you can report me. This whole post was based of information I gathered from current employees. Like I said, I don't think you are reading my comments. Seriously. Go back and re-read, because these replies are making no sense at parts.

And wait, I never said most of airport sort/deck employees are non union, because I said the opposite of that. I am correct, but I think you mis-typed that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back