I still can't understand clipping
Feb 15, 2014 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hikaru12

1000+ Head-Fier
I've read so much about this issue and it seems like it's a pretty simple concept but I still don't get it's causes nor how to prevent it. From what I understand clipping is when a sound is amplified too much so that the speaker is not allowed to move in it's normal up and down pattern but rather gets stuck for a few seconds at the peak volume and it clips the sine wave into a square shape introducing lots of strain into the coil. Am I correct? If that's the case then preventing it should be as simple as turning the volume down, right?

I've just heard many mixed messages about this issue and I don't know want to end up buying an amp of too high or lower wattage and blowing a pair of speakers because I don't know what I'm doing. For the record, it's probably better to go with a lower wattage amp and pair them to higher wattage speakers then vice versa right?

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 8

I've just heard many mixed messages about this issue and I don't know want to end up buying an amp of too high or lower wattage and blowing a pair of speakers because I don't know what I'm doing. For the record, it's probably better to go with a lower wattage amp and pair them to higher wattage speakers then vice versa right?

You'd have a lot more chances of getting clipping using a low power amp on inefficient speakers than a high power amp on a relatively efficient speaker. Speaker input power ratings are nearly irrelevant because, seriously, has anyone used an amp with an output that really exceeded the maximum continuous input power ratings on speakers? Most standmounts get over 100watts max input, and floorstanders with more than two drivers usually get 150w max input. Unless you're using a powerful $300+ 150wpc T-amp you won't be getting anywhere near the maximum.

Unless what you have is an amp with bloated ratings and you're still going to get clipping, but in that case if you factor in the THD levels you are not really using a powerful amp. If anything the problem with an extremely powerful amp on a very efficient speaker is it might get it too loud too quickly, but from my own experience with equipment that is only really a problem with custom car audio systems using active crossovers (before the amp stage), and you have a 4ch amp with, say, 75w front channels powering 10wpc tweeters with no passive crossovers - fortunately the processor can lower the signal voltage to them by -8db. Unless you're at such an extreme situation, chances are you'd be annoying your neighbors before you hear clipping, provided that high-output amp is one that doesn't distort at that output level.

So really the only thing against quality high power amps is the price and size. When using a lower output amp, as long as you meet the minimum output required by the speakers and you aren't trying to mimic the SPLs in a live rock concert, you should be fine.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 8

So really the only thing against quality high power amps is the price and size. When using a lower output amp, as long as you meet the minimum output required by the speakers and you aren't trying to mimic the SPLs in a live rock concert, you should be fine.

So you're more likely to run into a lower powered amp that will begin to distort at it's highest volume levels then ever max out a speakers maximum input levels? That makes sense since most integrated amps are like 50W. The reason why I ask is the speakers I plan on getting are rated for 90db of sensitivity which is really good and have a max of 225w so something around the 50 to 75W range should sound pretty damn loud without running into issues?

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #4 of 8

So you're more likely to run into a lower powered amp that will begin to distort at it's highest volume levels then ever max out a speakers maximum input levels? That makes sense since most integrated amps are like 50W. The reason why I ask is the speakers I plan on getting are rated for 90db of sensitivity which is really good and have a max of 225w so something around the 50 to 75W range should sound pretty damn loud without running into issues?

90dB of sensitivity at what power?

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 8

Assuming it's rated for 1watt measured at 1m, and the amp is still at 0.1% distortion (or less) at 50watts, that should be enough to make the neighbors hate you if you have windows open.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 8

Assuming it's rated for 1watt measured at 1m, and the amp is still at 0.1% distortion (or less) at 50watts, that should be enough to make the neighbors hate you if you have windows open.

Here's the speakers I'm planning on getting: (They don't tell you the power rating at that sensitivity level): LINK 

The amp specs says 0.015% THD using the digital outputs at 30W with 8 ohms of impedance. At 95W it jumps to 0.7 %THD at 4 ohms of impedance. Here's the spec sheet: LINK

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 8

If you have to open your windows to make your neighbors hate you, you're not trying hard enough. :p

se

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 8
  90dB of sensitivity at what power?

They don't state what they rated it at but I'm assuming 1W/M as that's the standard. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back