I still can't decide on headphones. $400 or less
May 21, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #91 of 189
As a long time HD600 owner and lover I really don't think you'd like them due the lack of bass. I mean I REALLY love mine, but for other reasons, and I often EQ in more low end. The 650's are supposed to have a bit more bass, but I've never heard them so can't give you any advice there.

BUT, the main reason I'm chiming in is to implore you to look more closely at the Meze 99 Classics (or the Noirs on Drop?). I got a set this winter, I love them, and I really think they check every box for you:
- very light & comfy
- relaxed high end, but still very clean & clear
- solid thump on bottom that's just a bit elevated above neutral
- and not hard on the eyes

I don't know what you read about their cost/performance ratio, but I think they're easily worth the $309 that they're going for now. More, I'd say.

In fact i just took them for a long walk this weekend with Dio's Holy Diver and it was awesome! Even though I was outside, I heard some flaws in the recording that I never noticed before in 30 years of listening to this album! (just to give you an idea of their deft detail retrieval)

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #92 of 189
As a long time HD600 owner and lover I really don't think you'd like them due the lack of bass. I mean I REALLY love mine, but for other reasons, and I often EQ in more low end. The 650's are supposed to have a bit more bass, but I've never heard them so can't give you any advice there.

BUT, the main reason I'm chiming in is to implore you to look more closely at the Meze 99 Classics (or the Noirs on Drop?). I really think they check every box:
- very light & comfy
- relaxed high end, but still very clean & clear
- solid thump on bottom that's just a bit elevated above neutral
- and not hard on the eyes

I don't know what you read about they're cost/performance ratio, but I think they're easily worth the $309 that they're going for now. More, I'd say.
Mhm mezes are on the list. I think the tiering right now is uh. TRX00 - 99 - k712.

As much as I've heard good on the mezes. I have heard so much more on the fostex, and I just. I'm hopeful ya know

May 21, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #96 of 189
They lack much bass, and the whole response isn't great (at least not for what they are going for). I don't know where you got that recommendation from.
Fair enough. Lacking bass is not fun.

I am enjoying the blons a little bit more as I've gone through, but as much as I may ever like them, they definitely don't have that bass.

May 21, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #98 of 189
Yeah that's cool. Just had to get my vote on record. ; )

(Fyi, i edited my post to correct / add a few bits)
It's such a hard decision :C Mezes or fostex, ugh.

I really hope I can sell these blons though... I don't wanna be stuck with them, I need the fostex ;w;

May 21, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #99 of 189
It's such a hard decision :C Mezes or fostex, ugh.

I really hope I can sell these blons though... I don't wanna be stuck with them, I need the fostex ;w;
I wish i had more to offer, but I've never heard anything by Fostex. Maybe there's a dedicated TRX00 impressions thread that you could ask whether anyone can directly compare to the 99C?

Alternatively, I know there's a well attended 99C Impressions thread, you could ask if anyone there has heard the Fostex.

May 21, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #100 of 189
I wish i had more to offer, but I've never heard anything by Fostex. Maybe there's a dedicated TRX00 impressions thread that you could ask whether anyone can directly compare to the 99C?

Alternatively, I know there's a well attended 99C Impressions thread, you could ask if anyone there has heard the Fostex.
Impressions threads won't help. I've read enough on both pairs of headphones to know that it's at the point I just have to try them.

May 21, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #103 of 189
I’ve listened to the Fostex purple hearts and found them musically wonderful when on a good amp. I think the Fostex would serve you well based on what you have said your preferences are.

May 21, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #104 of 189
I’ve listened to the Fostex purple hearts and found them musically wonderful when on a good amp. I think the Fostex would serve you well based on what you have said your preferences are.
I am so mad with myself, I chose the blons over some THx00 purplehearts . They sold for like $250 :C

May 21, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #105 of 189
I am so mad with myself, I chose the blons over some THx00 purplehearts . They sold for like $250 :C
Well this hobby is an endless adventure in lighting wallets on fire! Sell the Blons and look for the Fostex and continue the quest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back