i spent too much for a computer psu
Oct 29, 2008 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

terrymx

Headphoneus Supremus
warning: contents included liberal biasm and anti-videogamer enthuism. also mindless ranting.

Lately I've been trying to lower the energy consumption of my house. One of the prospect was to replace my desktop with a portable computer. I don't know why I didn't do this until now, but I measured the wattage output of the power supply and I was a bit suprised. My current computer:
-750watt psu
-microatx mobo
-3xfans
-8800gtx
-quadcore q6600
-2xhdd, 2xdvd, 2xrams
-etc

Now the 8800gtx is known to be a power hog, not many video cards use more power beside the top market ones. Even when the cpu is oc'ed to 3ghz, full video card speed, running h.264 encoding with 4 threads + playing 3d games + foobar playing asio emu1212m + internet running and downloading + folding@home, the psu does not output more than 290-305watt. But I don't overclock my computer and I underclock my video card because I never play a game that require that much mhz, so the computer idle at around 170watt and max at 230watt. When I found out this my thought was: What?

When I go to the newegg.com's power supply calculater page and entered my spec, it recommended me a 700watt psu, it seem to be another of their marketing scheme. I know you need a quality psu with good ampage for some of the parts I required, but $150 for the 750watt psu I bought was not needed.

I run my computer 24/7, says the computer run at all time 225watt, if I was paying 8cents per kwh, it will equate to around $250 a year. I guess people who use those Mac computers have a big advantage here. I could easily cut the consumption by almost half with a 45m 65watt amd quadcore and a 9600gt.

I would think this whole big power eating machine trend would have been fading out by this time, but I guess not, with all the monopolies companies running on the dominant x86 architecture.

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 30
450 W True power is sufficient i think.

i have it on my desktop and heres my config:

ASUS P5Q SLE 1600Mhz FSB Factory overclocked.
Intel C2D E7200 overclocked
GeForce 8800GT 512 MB
320 GB SeaGate HDD 7200 RPM

works fine without any issues.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 30
A good 450/500watt would probably be enough, but keep in mind that the wattage spec of a psu is usually it's maximum power output if all the different voltage rails are maxed out. Hardly any PSU except some expensive ones from brand manufacturers can actually provide that output without frying.
It would be better to buy a good branded PSU though because they are usaully quite a bit more efficient than the OEM crap PSUs computer manufacturers tend to put in their oem boxes.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 30
Nah, you're fine. When your power supply costs as much as a whole computer system, then you know you have a problem.

PS: You all computer nerds are the source of global warming I say.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 30
I understand. When I was doing research for my new PC, I had no idea what wattage to get, and a few people were recommending some powerful stuff. (750+) But most of the knowledgeable ones recommended 4-500watts to be safe. So I did some more reading and saw that similar rigs (to the one I wanted) were maxing out at like 300 watts.

I have a corsair 450w, and it hasn't caused any problems whatsoever.

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 30
I have a Corsair 520HX and it's enough for me.

Q9550, GTX 260 SC, 7 fans, etc. etc.

From my knowledge, a quality ~500w PSU is more than enough if you don't plan to go SLI. SLI I would get a 750w PSU.

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 30
I have no idea how much I use. My parents pay anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway I'm using a nice Corsair 520HXEU modular psu powering:
Asus P5K
E6750 @ 3,5ghz
8800GTS 640 (OC)

No problem at all and dead silent. Just the way I like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 30
There was an article on Anandtech.com about 6 months ago in regard to the fact that 600-1200W PSU's have been marketed in a way to make people think that they NEED them. This could not be further from the truth as you have proven. Even the most demanding PC's are pulling less than 500W (Quad core/multiple HD's/SLI or Xfire GPU's).

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #13 of 30
The real issue is that, despite what is put on the box, very VERY few PSU's can actually do what they are billed to, and even if they can preform at the advertised specs how efficient are they?

I encourage anyone interested in the real deal on power supplies to check out info and reviews by [H]ard OCP-

[H] Enthusiast --- www.hardocp.com

These guys don't look to make manufactures happy, and they actually test the power supplies with the kind of equipment that allows "full disclosure" of the issues found- DC output quality, efficiency, load testing (120v & 100v) build quality, temp, & noise while under load. It's pretty fun to watch em melt and explode too!

Basically what I'm saying, is that while you may have a 650W supply, you're not always running at that, so who cares about MAX wattage like the speedometer that goes to 180, it's there when you need it, and what is important is how efficient it runs at your 200W-300W normal usage... 80%... 70%.. 90%?

enough fluff- here is the core site- great community too-

[H]ard|OCP - www.hardocp.com

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #14 of 30
don't feel bad about overbuying a PSU. usually you get quality with higher priced PSU's - better filtering, more current, stable supply, more connectors, etc.

when I bought my OCZ three years ago, I also thought I overbought. To date, everything else has been upgraded. Except the PSU. It's still able to deliver power for my 9800GTX+ and OC'ed quad core and has enough connectors to deal with various devices.

Oct 29, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 30
Yeah. Last year, when I was in the market for a new computer I also was told to get a high-quality psu. It's one of the main things you'll need in a mid-high end pc especially if you'll be wanting to overclock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back