I smell disaster
Aug 13, 2001 at 7:55 PM Post #16 of 27
I think I asked this in some other thread somewhere, but no one really responded, so....

I just bought a CD-burner, and I have been burning copies of all of my parents CDs. Does anyone know anything about the laws pertaining to this? Like what is considered "owning" the CD? If my mom buys a CD, can my Dad make a copy for his car? If I live in the same household, can I copy the CD? What about when I go off to school, do I all of a sudden have to throw away all the copies I've made of legally purchased over-priced to begin with CD? No MP3s were involved here.

Oh yeah, I'm just curious, would these copy-protection schemes prevent straight disc to disc copying? I'm not ripping the songs off, just duplicating the data on the discs?

Aug 13, 2001 at 8:04 PM Post #17 of 27
Well, unless you start selling them, I wouldn't worry about the po-po showing up at your door.

But for the record, it probably IS illegal. You don't personally own it. If you jumped in your Dad's car and took off, you could be arrested for car theft. (I know it's a stupid analogy, but you get the point).

Aug 13, 2001 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 27
Heck, why rent when you can borrow from your public library for free (*nudge nudge*)
tongue.gif

I noticed a few shelves and racks filled with CD's you could borrow the last time I was at a local library, which was way too long ago
eek.gif
I guess back then, CD recorders weren't common at all, since those sold for computers averaged about $500 (my "expensive" brother bought one).

Aug 13, 2001 at 9:15 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

If I live in the same household, can I copy the CD? What about when I go off to school, do I all of a sudden have to throw away all the copies I've made of legally purchased over-priced to begin with CD?

Technically, if you live in the same household, it's a grey area, but no one's really going to care, and you probably couldn't be prosecuted. However, once you go to school, taking those copies with you technically becomes illegal, since you'll be able to use two copies of a single license (when you buy a CD you are actually purchasing a license) in two different geographic locations at the same time.

Oh, and burning copies of CDs from the local library is *definitely* illegal LOL.

P.S. There are laws and then there are ethics. Laws are what you can and can't legally do. Ethics are what you will and won't do knowing you won't get caught
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2001 at 1:57 AM Post #21 of 27
Yeah.....MacDEF's definition soundz about right. It's why I am willing to make MD copies of CDs from my local library, but refuse to burn CD copies.

Aug 14, 2001 at 5:12 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

It's why I am willing to make MD copies of CDs from my local library, but refuse to burn CD copies.

LOL, but it's the same thing, coolvij
wink.gif

Aug 14, 2001 at 6:54 AM Post #23 of 27
I know - but it feels more moral. I mean, I don't have an exact copy.

The fact that I don't have equipment to show the differences - that aint my concern!

Aug 14, 2001 at 7:43 PM Post #24 of 27
I believe CD's are covered by what's called a "book license"

That is: Any ONE copy of the CD can be in use at any one time (much like how you use a book) - so if dad makes a copy for his portable, and a copy for the car, as long as he's EITHER listening to the original at home, OR to the copy in the car, OR to the copy in his discman, he's "legal" - but as soon as more copies are in use simultaneously than you have "licenses" and/or legal copies, you're in violation of law.

See the glorieeeeeeee.... of the royal scam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back