I should hammer it out Westone 3 & TF 10 PRO
Mar 19, 2009 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

cancam

Head-Fier
My source is Cowon D2

Recently, I was finding a substitute for my q-jays. Or I should treat it as an upgrade.

I have seen a lot of threads about westone 3 and tf 10 pro, there are many different ideas on both iem so I can't figure out which suits me the best.

I love listening to female vocals like Norah Jones/Mariah Carey and some in Jpop

It is great if I can try both iem but the truth is that I can try neither
I appreciate your comments and suggestions a lot, thx dudes!

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 57
I agree with Mark. I'd give a small edge to TFPro for vocals but neither are excellent by any means. SE530 would be much better or even UM2 (if you really want great vocal presentation).

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 57
hi Mark & Spyro, thanks for your cms

however, my friend's experience told me that shure530 is a bit imbalanced
Undoubtedly, the performance of vocal is really great, but treble and bass are a bit weak

Sorry, I need to make sth clear, I think I am concerning more about the treble performance since most of my songs are female vocals, there are classical pieces also

Mar 20, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bass is weak?????? erm it most certainly is not, until the launch of the IE8 the the 530 is probably the most bass capable IEM's around. you give it a song with a lot of bass it will will pump it out effortlessly in spades

I see your point, but I can't find any shure dealers in my area
My choices are limited. Westone 3 and tf 10 pro, which one should suits me?

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #9 of 57
SE530 is good in vocals. I don't think I've heard of them lacking bass either...

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #10 of 57
^+1. more comfortable and easier to get a good fit with westone 3 too.

the main difference between westone 3 and TF10pro is mids and sub bass impact. westone 3 has better mids, but less sub bass. However sub bass is mainly for hip hop/R&B and bassy soundtracks.

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #11 of 57
well TF10 is hardly balanced; nowhere near it IMO. the mids are quite recessed much more of a U shaped frequency response. out of those 2 I would recommend the W3 easily as being better for vocals. I had the TF10 for a while and then upgraded to SE530; I have since bought the W3 too and it is superior to me than TF10 in comfort and SQ. I think you would be surprised how little of female vocals exists in the HF; it is still mainly in the mids and upper mds. so I would actually still recommend the SE530 for vocals. TF10 can have a tendency to be a little harsh in the highs; I had this problem among others with them and I have none of these problems with W3. with decent amping the SE530 jhas a very nice and balanced presentation IMO.

so I would recommend the SE530 but out of your 2
W3 FTW!!

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by cancam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

erm the internet? just order online anyway you are in hong kong right? possibly the most capitalist and commercial place on earth?????

Shure Where to Buy - Hong Kong

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm the internet? just order online anyway you are in hong kong right? possibly the most capitalist and commercial place on earth?????

Shure Where to Buy - Hong Kong

I am sure I can get a shure in HK
but I am not in HK right now and I may not be backed so soon
the carriage cost is really high if i order it from internet.....

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #14 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by cancam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh wow. You are in Hong Kong. The W3s must be cheap there. ~$295? I wish I could grab a pair at that price.

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well TF10 is hardly balanced; nowhere near it IMO. the mids are quite recessed much more of a U shaped frequency response. out of those 2 I would recommend the W3 easily as being better for vocals. I had the TF10 for a while and then upgraded to SE530; I have since bought the W3 too and it is superior to me than TF10 in comfort and SQ. I think you would be surprised how little of female vocals exists in the HF; it is still mainly in the mids and upper mds. so I would actually still recommend the SE530 for vocals. TF10 can have a tendency to be a little harsh in the highs; I had this problem among others with them and I have none of these problems with W3. with decent amping the SE530 jhas a very nice and balanced presentation IMO.

so I would recommend the SE530 but out of your 2

W3 FTW!!

Qusp...you are a "member of the trade"? For Westone by chance? There is absolutley NO WAY W3 is more balanced than TFPro. I would bet huge money that W3 is the most V-shaped freq response of any IEM ever made, period. As far as the midrange, I still prefer the smoothness of TFPro. It is slightly blurry but present whereas W3 it is a little siblant and clearly recessed. It is neither one's strong point but at worst I would call it a wash (even). This is personal preference but I MUCH prefer fit and comfort of TFPro. Much easier and faster to take in and out and only tip portion is touching your ear canal versus entire fairly large housing of W3 being mashed up against your entire ear canal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back