I seriously need help!
Nov 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

crossidmary

Head-Fier
Ok... I've narrowed it down. Help me decide...
Price point, comfort, isolation and of course SQ are all factors.
Etymotic hf3
Westone W1
Shure SE215
Phonak 132
Please advise and reasons for choice. Mini reviews or comparisons would be desirable.
Thanks for your time!

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 16
I will suggest you research Vsonic VSD3S and see if it fits your requirements. It's much cheaper than your other choices and punches up into thier sound quality territory. Just use our search feature to find the main thread.

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 16
Thanks, will do. At first glance they seem to fit with the exception of an iPhone control. Is there a swapable iPhone cable for these?
Cheers!
Oh - and the impedance might indicate the need for amplification, no?

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks, will do. At first glance they seem to fit with the exception of an iPhone control. Is there a swapable iPhone cable for these?
Cheers!
Oh - and the impedance might indicate the need for amplification, no?

May I suggest you ask in the VSD3S thread as I saw them talking about an ebay cable for VSD3S that supports a mic just a few days ago.

Here's the thread, it's quite busy in there though, if no one replies I'll find that post for you and put it here tomorrow as I'm surfing mobile right now.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/669510

About the impedance VSD3S is actually low impedance so you won't require an amp, all phones for example will drive them.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 16
Penon ships from Asia, does it take weeks or do they have some streamlined way of getting it to Canada quicker?
I think they're worth a shot for $45. Hopefully an "i" cable will be available.

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #8 of 16
Penon ships from Asia, does it take weeks or do they have some streamlined way of getting it to Canada quicker?
I think they're worth a shot for $45. Hopefully an "i" cable will be available.

Usually takes about 10-15 days, normal routine once you've been here a while. And yes, I'll find you that link.

Actually here, I back tracked and found it for you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/669510/the-new-iem-of-vsonic-vsd-3s-impression-updated-by-smailbz/3450#post_11002908

Knowing Luna shops it will take a good 2-3 weeks so just hang in there while it arrives.

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 16
http://www.lendmeurears.com/vsonic/

Is running a sale on VSONIC right now.
- GR07 Bass Edition is $107
- GR07 Classic is $77
- VSD3S is $43

They also carry the Havi B3 Pro I's for $60 and the Ostry KC06A's for $77

FWIW, I was/am very happy with my VSD1S at $43 and the VSD3S's are supposed to be even better...making them a great value!

Right now, I'm thinking about the GR07s...not sure if it's worth the extra $30 for the Bass Editions though.

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 16
Most excellent, thank you.
Now I'm also throwing around the Mee A151P...
What say you?
They are well reviewed here and seem like a steal at $60(ish)

I like the A151s -- solid all-rounders; nice sound for a low end single BA and a very nice cable. $60 seems high for cost though; Amazon is currently $45. I think I paid low $30's for mine and $40 for my A161's.

Personally, I like the VSD1S better than the A151s -- more balanced sound signature to my ears. I wish I could switch the cable from the MEElecs to the VSONICs. The cool thing about the VSD3S is the removable cable in addition to the reported sound improvements for nearly the same price.

I'll mention one additional thing because you've had the HF3s. For my money, I've yet to hear another mid-priced IEM as clear sounding as Etys. Overall, the sound signatures of the other IEMs you're considering are probably better for listening to a wide variety of music genres. However, if I know I'm going to be listening to acoustic guitar, jazz, chamber music, vocals, etc, I'm putting in the Etys. They are something special for detail and clarity.

That said, if I had to pick only one of the IEMs mentioned so far, it would be the GR07s. This is based on a very positive VSD1S experience and the fact that, when they came out, they were supposed to be '80% of a GR07' for a third of the price. For $77, the GR07s are an outstanding value.

EDIT: looking at H20Fidelity's profile, he's currently got the GR07's, the VSD3S, and the Havi B3 Pro's. He also got rid of the SE215s. The fact that he recommends the VSD3S says something. I'd certainly be curious to know how close they get to the GR07s.

Here are some thoughts from ljokerl on TheHeadphoneList (http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-impressions-vsonic-vsd3s-ostry-kc06-havi-b3-pro/)

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #14 of 16
Ok... so, for now - just for fun - I've ordered the A151 for $40. Gotta give 'em a try.
As for the rest, well .... still going to make a purchase.
Unless ... the Mee turn out to be heavenly.

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #15 of 16
Ok... so, for now - just for fun - I've ordered the A151 for $40. Gotta give 'em a try.
As for the rest, well .... still going to make a purchase.
Unless ... the Mee turn out to be heavenly.

Think you'll like them...good all-rounder for that price; slightly warmer signature than a lot of single BA IEMs which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned to listen to a variety of genres

Users who are viewing this thread

Back