I seek your wisdom o headphones gods
May 16, 2017 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

some random dude

New Head-Fier
Hey I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the purchase of an over ear headset with these specifications (I just filled out a general headphone template):

Budget - Around $100

Use - Phone and work computer

Requirements for Isolation - High

Preferred Type of Headphone - Closed over ear

Preferred tonal balance - Balanced

Current headphones - Razer Kraken 2014 Pro over ear headset

What would you like to improve on from your set-up - Comfort and more noise cancellation.

The issue I have the most with my current headphones are that they get very uncomfortable and make my ears hurt after long periods of use (2+ hours). I think this is mainly due to the fact that my ears are decently large and cannot fit inside the Kraken headset. They stick out and are bent back, causing pain after extended use. Also they don't cancel noise THAT well (imagine most of the problem is due to part of my ears not being inside).

I looked around a but and found the NVX XPT 100 headphones. These actually look good, although I am not sure if there are better suited/quality (the cable jack is very fragile apparently) cans out there for me. Which is where you gods come in. So I ask o wise ones to bless me with your profound knowledge and guide me to the right headphones... Amen

TL;DR I'm looking for a comfortable pair of headphones with noise cancellation for around $100.

May 16, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 12
Why hast thou summoned me? lol. I just thought your thread title was amusing.

I used to have the NVX XPT100. Although I'm not a fan of the sound, it's one of the best out there when it comes to passive sound isolation (not to be confused with active noise cancellation, which uses electronic processing) and comfort in an affordable closed-back.

If you listen at realistic (as in true to life) volume levels, though, better isolation isn't very noticeable when music is playing.

The Audio-Technica ATH-M40x is an alternative. It's not as comfortable, but you can always swap the pads.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 12
Why hast thou summoned me? lol. I just thought your thread title was amusing.

I used to have the NVX XPT100. Although I'm not a fan of the sound, it's one of the best out there when it comes to passive sound isolation (not to be confused with active noise cancellation, which uses electronic processing) and comfort in an affordable closed-back.

If you listen at realistic (as in true to life) volume levels, though, better isolation isn't very noticeable when music is playing.

The Audio-Technica ATH-M40x is an alternative. It's not as comfortable, but you can always swap the pads.
O praise the heavens! A God has acknowledged my plea!

Lol thanks for the reply! Did you happen to have any other problems with the NVX other than the sound quality you mentioned? With these headphones I'm actually looking for more comfort and sound cancellation than sound quality. I plan to use them without any music playing sometimes so I actually need that good passive isolation as you mentioned.

Thank you for the recommendation as well. I looked up the reviews for those headphones and they seem to be very good. Do you think the pads will be able to fit over my big fat ears? And how much lower would you rate the comfort compared to the NVX ones? Im gonna be wearing them for hours so I need to know when they would start hurt/feel uncomfortable. Is the noise cancellation just as good as well? Which pads would be the best to swap with them?

Sorry for all the questions I just need assurance.

BTW I am a fellow Pokemon trainer as well cannot wait to see if a game will be released on the switch.

May 16, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 12
I also like the M40X and it is overall comfortable I would say. I believe the Brainwavz HM5 pads should work, but they are rather large and I'm sure would affect the sound signature. If the effect is for the better or worse will depend on the individual.

May 16, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 12
O praise the heavens! A God has acknowledged my plea!

Lol thanks for the reply! Did you happen to have any other problems with the NVX other than the sound quality you mentioned? With these headphones I'm actually looking for more comfort and sound cancellation than sound quality. I plan to use them without any music playing sometimes so I actually need that good passive isolation as you mentioned.

Thank you for the recommendation as well. I looked up the reviews for those headphones and they seem to be very good. Do you think the pads will be able to fit over my big fat ears? And how much lower would you rate the comfort compared to the NVX ones? Im gonna be wearing them for hours so I need to know when they would start hurt/feel uncomfortable. Is the noise cancellation just as good as well? Which pads would be the best to swap with them?

Sorry for all the questions I just need assurance.

BTW I am a fellow Pokemon trainer as well cannot wait to see if a game will be released on the switch.

If your priority is isolation and comfort, then XPT100 all the way. I had no other problems with it.

If you have large ears, the M40x could be uncomfortable for you. You can buy the XPT100 pads by themselves, or as mentioned, get Brainwavz pads. But the M40x doesn't isolate nearly as well. The XPT100 can block out the sound of a microwave.

My custom title refers to me going through so many headphones at such a rapid rate, as well as (formerly) wanting to "catch 'em all"...among other things. hehe

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 12
My 2 favorite cans for under 100 are the Audio Technica M40x and the Brainwavz HM5. I lean more towards the HM5 because of their excellent build quality, comfort, design and overall neutral sound.

The NVX XPT100 looks like another FA-002 clone just like the Brainwavz HM5. If so I'm sure they are a great pair of cans at a lower price.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 12
I've had the Sennheiser HD 280 PRO for about eight years. Amazon currently has them for about $100 (USD). They could suit you well, with two possible concerns: (1) Ear size, which is always a concern for headphones; and (2) Depending on your phone, they may not sound amazing. They're 64-ohm rated, and they sound noticeably better on my computer than on my cell phone, a Galaxy S5 Active.

Good luck!

P.S. Title and username made me LOL.

May 19, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 12
For $60, I highly recommend the Yamaha HPH-100 series.
They have the new ones in black as well.
It's closed, isolates quite well, and should suit your needs.

For a little more than your budget, you can also pick up a nice pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 32 Ohm ($14x right now on Amz).
That would be an excellent audiophile headphone to last you many years.

May 19, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 12
The HD 280 PRO might be the most uncomfortable headphone I've worn. Clamping force usually isn't a problem for me, but that one felt like a vise.
They do loosen up over time have had mine closing on 8 or 9 years as well. They are still tight though. I put them on ever now and then when someone has a question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back