I require your expertise! - My trusty DAC has died on me.
Jul 23, 2020 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Scrivs

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

For almost 11 years I've been using the Dr. DAC2 DX on a daily basis for my PC/home studio setup, but for the past couple of months it has been producing a terrible distortion to the right audio channel every time I raise or lower the volume. I've been living with it, but it's now becoming so annoying that I guess it's time to look for something new.

The reason why I went with the Dr. DAC2 was that it had an output switch which allowed me to send the audio signal to either my speakers or my headphones. Which, when you're living with someone, is pretty much essential. The other reason was that it had a built-in headphone amp with a specialized high impedance output which, also, was essential for my 250 ohm DT770 Pro. I am, therefore, looking for a replacement DAC/Amp unit with these same features. So, to recap:

Requirements:
  • Output switch (speakers/headphone)
  • Built-in amp strong enough to power 250 ohm headphones
  • S/PDIF or USB input
  • Budget of around $500.-
Preferences:
  • Black device
  • The smaller the better
I initially came across the Fostex HP-A4 BL, but because I don't have a balanced headphone, it seemed pointless to me to be paying for a feature I was never going to use. I then ended up at the HP-A4, which still seemed to tick all of my boxes, if not for the fact that - as opposed to the BL - it is a USB powered unit which makes me wonder if it's strong enough to power my 250 ohm headphones. Any thoughts on that perhaps?

Any other recommendations that you may have for me are, of course, very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the suggestion Ozz! It looks like a great unit, but I'm not a big fan of it routing the audio signal to the speakers or headphones depending on whether the headphones are plugged in or not. I would much prefer to have a switch so that I could I could keep my headphones plugged in at all times. At the moment that is just more convenient for me cable-clutter-wise. But thanks again! I'm still considering it.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Just to add, it doesn't necessarily have to be a single unit. I have no problem buying a separate dac and amp, so long as it allows me to easily switch between my speakers and headphones.

Jul 24, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 8
I would highly recommend the JDS Labs EL II Amp and DAC (2 separate units, not the combo). I have almost the exact use case as you for my bedroom setup and it works wonderfully, has a small footprint and looks nice, to boot.

Jul 24, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 8
I would highly recommend the JDS Labs EL II Amp and DAC (2 separate units, not the combo). I have almost the exact use case as you for my bedroom setup and it works wonderfully, has a small footprint and looks nice, to boot.
This is looking like my most promising option so far, thanks! I love that the amp has an output selection, though I have one question about that; I read in the manual that the output mode (headphones / speakers) is changed by holding the power button for at least 1 second - is this convenient, or finicky?

I have never had a chance to try or even see these units - so I don't know - but my initial impression is that it could perhaps be a bit convoluted to have to reach to the back of the unit and hold the power button for fixed amount of time to switch the output channel. But what has your experience been with that? Have you ever turned it off by accident, for example?

Does it also show you which mode it is currently in? i.e. do you have to have sound playing in order to notice the switch in output channel, or are you notified of it in a different way? It's a super clean design without any LEDs or other indicators (as far as I can tell), so I wonder if it somehow gives you an indication of the currently active output mode.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 8
I have no concerns with the method of switching outputs, as far as holding the power button; so far, it has worked flawlessly, no accidents and always works. However, I would prefer the power button on the front, as I have my stack on a DIY mini-rack and I find it tough to fit my hand into the back of it. The output switching works well but, yes, YMMV on convenience depending on where your stack is set-up.

There is no indication of which output is active, either, other than the sound coming out of the device. I would have preferred an LED on the front indicating which one was active, but I also love the clean, sleek approach they took with it, so can't say I mind too much.

Also, JDS Labs stuff is Made in USA (for those who care about that stuff) and they got great customer service (we all care about that haha). All in all, I'm quite satisfied with the stack and it's one of the only ones in the $500 range that takes care of the output switching I need.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 8
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back