I replaced a sansa e260 and mdr-ex90 rig with....
Sep 25, 2007 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sinner6

100+ Head-Fier
...a Sony a818 and denon C700's.

Let's just say there is not only a noticable difference, but a whole world of difference. The 818 does have the great sound quality that it is rumored to, with the only complaint being a slight hiss through the Denons, not as present on lower sensitivity headphones.

Some things worth mentioning:

the 818 WILL display album art on files that are drag n'dropped so long as the art is embedded into the file itself.

Playlists via mediamonkey or WMP11 worked flawlessly.

Screen looks great, will view jpegs, but there is no way to "zoom" on viewed photos.

The 818 has a very polished UI and is extremely responsive, unlike the Sansa. I liked tha e260 but you could actually hear interference coming from the CPU and it could get choked up when navigating the UI. The difference in Sound quality is significant, though at idle the sansa actually had less hiss than the sony. On the flipside, the sony does not make loud clicking, popping sounds of the sansa. During music playback, there is no contest, the Sony is far more "lively" and musical with a richer bottom and a smoother top end.

Regarding the headphones, lets just say the c700's make for a very nice upgrade from the ex-90's. The ex90's have "hole" in the mids that make the music sound "open" but a little lacking in defenition and bite. The C700's on the other hand sound flat, but not in an analytical way. They are a very natural and present sounding set of buds and I suspect they compare favorably to the M5's.

Sorry for the self indulgent newb post, my excitement got the better of me.

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 2
Its true. The e200 sounds terrible. Even with Rockbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back