I recieved my philips 890 today
Apr 8, 2002 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
These are supposed to be able to run with little power. I find that this is not the case, for me anyway. I have my total airhead at max. I e-mailed JAN MERIER and want to get the corda HA-1 to drive the 890s. The sound is like nothing that I have ever heard befor. Rather than the sound being left and right the sound is a huge sound somewhere around my head??? These are going to take a while for me to get used to. They sound good but need more power and are very different sounding cans. I am burning them in right now and they sound like a loud radio playing and I am 15 feet from them. The burn in source is very strong. They are very conft. as has been said befor but I didnot realize how different sounding these would be. I hope in time and after useing them for awhile that they grow on me and I get used to the huge sound stage and I mean huge.
I just got an E-MAIL from JAN and he said that the total airhead should drive the 890s very well. That it could be my source which is a mini disc 5 m/w out put. He also said that the T/A has more m/w output than the corda HA-1. Maby the 890s are loud enough. I just have to get used to them if not I will get the headroom little that puts out 500 m/w. I will wait a while though.

Apr 8, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 4
I find that an amp doesn't make that much of a difference in sound. Driving them from my computer and from my cdp>CHA 47>890s I could only detect the absence of hiss. Then again, I only tried it for a couple min. and they weren't burned in at all. I heard burn in is really important with these, but after about 20 hours I can't tell THAT much of a difference.

Apr 8, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 4
Problem solved with power for my 890s. I put 6 cds in my cd changer that is hooked up to my Sony STR-835 and at volume at 9 oclock was all that I needed. Just 3 noches up and the 890s were very full sounding and rich. the sony is 500 watts by 5 channels and the headphone jack is very good quality out put. Grate now I dont have to buy another amp.
ps
I dont intend to burn these in unless they are on my head. They sound real good right out of the box. But for me they sure needed a very good power source. I dont know if that means m/w or if that means watts. I dont know what the sony headphone jack out put is, the book dont tell me but it sure is strong and clean. No hint of noise

Apr 8, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 4
thx LTUCCII, ive been reading lots of different reviews about the 890's and 280's, i appreciate the contribution (after previous events with the slicsounds...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back