I recently ordered the HD650. A bad investment for my taste?
Aug 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Hobsten

New Head-Fier
I recently put up a thread on another forum saying I needed a pair of open-back, over-ear and good sounding headphones. I stated that I was gonna use them for basically all genres and use them with my Asus Xonas Essence STX soundcard which I'm gonna be ordering next week. People recommended the HD650 and I watched a few reviews of them and just went for it and purchased them. However, after thinking a lot about it afterwards, I find myself listening to a lot of electronic/electric songs - Drum and Bass, Electro and so forth. The type of music you often see on Liquicity's and MrSuicideSheep's YouTube channels. And then I see a lot of people saying that the HD650 sounds "boring", whatever that means, and that they're not the best for electronic as it's not as fast(?). Aswell as people saying they are "bass light" or the sound being a bit thin. I'm not sure, I have little knowledge about audio in general. I'd like to have some good bass, not overwhelming amounts, as the electronic songs tend to have a bit of bass kicking in them. That in mind I DO listen to all types of genres. 70-80s rock, 70-00s Hip Hop/rap, different types of Jazz, a lot of Electronic and more. 

I'm gonna leave it at that. I'll wait for the HD650 to arrive and I'll test them. I have 14 days before I have to return them IF I do not like them. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna like them as they are an upgrade from my G930s. What are your thoughts?

Some songs I listen to

TLDR: HD650 for electronic?

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #4 of 12
I think you're better off with something different. I own the HD650 and yes they are not the best at electronic music.
The HD650 are mid centric so for anything with vocals it will really shine but for electronic it's a matter of bass and sub bass plus treble.
You're better off with a headphone with a more V shaped sound signature.

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 12
Immediately what comes to mind is the DT880 or if you can find one still, the Denon D2000
I'm sure there's tons more out there but I'm very much a mid centric kind of person, so hold up and see what others recommend

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

It looks like a lot of people are of that opinion but in my experience it's grossly exaggerated. DT 990 has more treble (and bass for that matter) emphasis than 880 but in most cases I do not find it piercing.

Hobsten, HD 650 is just more balanced in low-mid-high whereas the Beyers have some mids recession.

And the HD650 don't have a huge treble recession that is even more exaggerated by a great out front midrange? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back