I really can't decide! Need opinions on around the ear headphones!
Dec 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gotthelife11

New Head-Fier
Ok, so here's where I'm at with it. I'll start by saying that I'm no audiophile by any means, however, I definitely love my music as much as anyone else. I'm new to the around the ear headphones, and I've never owned an expensive pair. The most expensive pair I've owned are my Skullcandy Titan earbuds, which I like, but they start to bother my ears after a while which is why I'd like to start to get into some other ones. So, here is why I think I'm having troubles deciding: 1. I'm on a bit of a budget. I'm not looking to spend too much over $100, so I know that will limit a lot of my choices. And 2. being the most important, I listen to different genre's of music. First, I'm a huge metalhead so I listen to a lot of that. I've also recently gotten into Dubstep. I love it, so I'm also looking for headphones that have some good bass for that. I also listen to some good old rock in between, and a little rap, but not much at all, so mostly just Metal and Dubstep I would say. I really love good punchy bass, but I also don't want there to be too much that it would make the metal sound like crap. The devices I would be using are my Ipod Classic (the newest gen), and my Acer laptop.

I know I want the headphones to go around my ear, and not on top, however what peaked my interest were the Bluedio HT's I saw on Amazon. I know at only $30 they can't be that great, but they did get some good reviews, and for $30 I kind of thought why not right? I know they're really cheaply built though. I think the Bluetooth aspect is pretty cool, but it's definitely not necessary for me. I believe they have a 57mm driver, so I don't know if that would be beneficial to what I'm looking for. I've tried out the Skullcandy Cruhers, and although I found them to be extremely comfortable, I wasn't overly impressed with the bass. I was pretty disappointed with Skullcandy's around the ear phones. I really didn't like the Hesh ones. I've tried Beats, and for the price of them, I just didn't think the sound was that great. I've tried the JBL Synchros, and thought they were ok, but not a lot of bass as well. I've been looking at the JVC HA-MR55X, or the HA-MR77X. I really like the look of those, and they've also gotten some good reviews. I haven't had a chance to try any Sennheisers but a friend has some HD 280 pro's and he really likes them. I've been racking my brain over all of this, and looking at so many different types over the last few weeks, and I can't seem to decide, and since I'm new to the around the ear scene, I thought I would try and get some feedback. Thanks!!!

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 10
Ok, so here's where I'm at with it. I'll start by saying that I'm no audiophile by any means, however, I definitely love my music as much as anyone else. I'm new to the around the ear headphones, and I've never owned an expensive pair. The most expensive pair I've owned are my Skullcandy Titan earbuds, which I like, but they start to bother my ears after a while which is why I'd like to start to get into some other ones. So, here is why I think I'm having troubles deciding: 1. I'm on a bit of a budget. I'm not looking to spend too much over $100, so I know that will limit a lot of my choices. And 2. being the most important, I listen to different genre's of music. First, I'm a huge metalhead so I listen to a lot of that. I've also recently gotten into Dubstep. I love it, so I'm also looking for headphones that have some good bass for that. I also listen to some good old rock in between, and a little rap, but not much at all, so mostly just Metal and Dubstep I would say. I really love good punchy bass, but I also don't want there to be too much that it would make the metal sound like crap. The devices I would be using are my Ipod Classic (the newest gen), and my Acer laptop. I know I want the headphones to go around my ear, and not on top, however what peaked my interest were the Bluedio HT's I saw on Amazon. I know at only $30 they can't be that great, but they did get some good reviews, and for $30 I kind of thought why not right? I know they're really cheaply built though. I think the Bluetooth aspect is pretty cool, but it's definitely not necessary for me. I believe they have a 57mm driver, so I don't know if that would be beneficial to what I'm looking for. I've tried out the Skullcandy Cruhers, and although I found them to be extremely comfortable, I wasn't overly impressed with the bass. I was pretty disappointed with Skullcandy's around the ear phones. I really didn't like the Hesh ones. I've tried Beats, and for the price of them, I just didn't think the sound was that great. I've tried the JBL Synchros, and thought they were ok, but not a lot of bass as well. I've been looking at the JVC HA-MR55X, or the HA-MR77X. I really like the look of those, and they've also gotten some good reviews. I haven't had a chance to try any Sennheisers but a friend has some HD 280 pro's and he really likes them. I've been racking my brain over all of this, and looking at so many different types over the last few weeks, and I can't seem to decide, and since I'm new to the around the ear scene, I thought I would try and get some feedback. Thanks!!!

If you're still considering iems:
http://theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/#basshead
Which beats headphone did you try?

I would try looking at more "professional" reviews instead of amazon reviews.
Some good places to find reviews:
Innerfidelity
Pcmag
Digitaltrends
Whathifi
And of course, head-fi

Also,
Don't pay attention to frequency response specs without tolerances such as +-3db and driver size. They tend to mean nothing.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 10
Ok, so here's where I'm at with it. I'll start by saying that I'm no audiophile by any means, however, I definitely love my music as much as anyone else. I'm new to the around the ear headphones, and I've never owned an expensive pair. The most expensive pair I've owned are my Skullcandy Titan earbuds, which I like, but they start to bother my ears after a while which is why I'd like to start to get into some other ones. So, here is why I think I'm having troubles deciding: 1. I'm on a bit of a budget. I'm not looking to spend too much over $100, so I know that will limit a lot of my choices. And 2. being the most important, I listen to different genre's of music. First, I'm a huge metalhead so I listen to a lot of that. I've also recently gotten into Dubstep. I love it, so I'm also looking for headphones that have some good bass for that. I also listen to some good old rock in between, and a little rap, but not much at all, so mostly just Metal and Dubstep I would say. I really love good punchy bass, but I also don't want there to be too much that it would make the metal sound like crap. The devices I would be using are my Ipod Classic (the newest gen), and my Acer laptop. I know I want the headphones to go around my ear, and not on top, however what peaked my interest were the Bluedio HT's I saw on Amazon. I know at only $30 they can't be that great, but they did get some good reviews, and for $30 I kind of thought why not right? I know they're really cheaply built though. I think the Bluetooth aspect is pretty cool, but it's definitely not necessary for me. I believe they have a 57mm driver, so I don't know if that would be beneficial to what I'm looking for. I've tried out the Skullcandy Cruhers, and although I found them to be extremely comfortable, I wasn't overly impressed with the bass. I was pretty disappointed with Skullcandy's around the ear phones. I really didn't like the Hesh ones. I've tried Beats, and for the price of them, I just didn't think the sound was that great. I've tried the JBL Synchros, and thought they were ok, but not a lot of bass as well. I've been looking at the JVC HA-MR55X, or the HA-MR77X. I really like the look of those, and they've also gotten some good reviews. I haven't had a chance to try any Sennheisers but a friend has some HD 280 pro's and he really likes them. I've been racking my brain over all of this, and looking at so many different types over the last few weeks, and I can't seem to decide, and since I'm new to the around the ear scene, I thought I would try and get some feedback. Thanks!!!

You might get more replies if you break up the paragraph a bit btw

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 10

I would try looking at more professional reviews instead of amazon reviews.
Innerfidelity
Pcmag
And of course, head-fi

Thanks! Yeah, I'd like to get away from the earbuds, as they start to bother my ears after a while. I think the Beats that I tried were the Studio's and the Mixr's. Just wasn't overly impressed with the bass for what you pay for them...

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 10
Ok, so here's where I'm at with it. I'll start by saying that I'm no audiophile by any means, however, I definitely love my music as much as anyone else. I'm new to the around the ear headphones, and I've never owned an expensive pair. The most expensive pair I've owned are my Skullcandy Titan earbuds, which I like, but they start to bother my ears after a while which is why I'd like to start to get into some other ones. So, here is why I think I'm having troubles deciding: 1. I'm on a bit of a budget. I'm not looking to spend too much over $100, so I know that will limit a lot of my choices. And 2. being the most important, I listen to different genre's of music. First, I'm a huge metalhead so I listen to a lot of that. I've also recently gotten into Dubstep. I love it, so I'm also looking for headphones that have some good bass for that. I also listen to some good old rock in between, and a little rap, but not much at all, so mostly just Metal and Dubstep I would say. I really love good punchy bass, but I also don't want there to be too much that it would make the metal sound like crap. The devices I would be using are my Ipod Classic (the newest gen), and my Acer laptop.

I know I want the headphones to go around my ear, and not on top, however what peaked my interest were the Bluedio HT's I saw on Amazon. I know at only $30 they can't be that great, but they did get some good reviews, and for $30 I kind of thought why not right? I know they're really cheaply built though. I think the Bluetooth aspect is pretty cool, but it's definitely not necessary for me. I believe they have a 57mm driver, so I don't know if that would be beneficial to what I'm looking for. I've tried out the Skullcandy Cruhers, and although I found them to be extremely comfortable, I wasn't overly impressed with the bass. I was pretty disappointed with Skullcandy's around the ear phones. I really didn't like the Hesh ones. I've tried Beats, and for the price of them, I just didn't think the sound was that great. I've tried the JBL Synchros, and thought they were ok, but not a lot of bass as well. I've been looking at the JVC HA-MR55X, or the HA-MR77X. I really like the look of those, and they've also gotten some good reviews. I haven't had a chance to try any Sennheisers but a friend has some HD 280 pro's and he really likes them. I've been racking my brain over all of this, and looking at so many different types over the last few weeks, and I can't seem to decide, and since I'm new to the around the ear scene, I thought I would try and get some feedback. Thanks!!!

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD280Pro.pdf
The hd280 pro probably isn't what you're looking for in terms of sound signature.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 10

Yeah, I just wish I could get a chance to try out the mr55x or the mr77x, that might be what I'm looking for, but can't find any demo units in my city. Still curious about the Bluedio's but a lot of people are saying they have decent sound, but a super cheap build, Which is expected for $30 headphones I guess.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 10
Yeah, I just wish I could get a chance to try out the mr55x or the mr77x, that might be what I'm looking for, but can't find any demo units in my city. Still curious about the Bluedio's but a lot of people are saying they have decent sound, but a super cheap build, Which is expected for $30 headphones I guess.

The only other basshead cans i can think of are:
M audio q40 (needs pad change... Dt770 velour pads are commonly used)
Donscorpio drama
Yamaha pro 400

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 10

I would try looking at more "professional" reviews instead of amazon reviews.
Innerfidelity
Pcmag
Digitaltrends
Whathifi
And of course, head-fi

Also,
Don't pay attention to frequency response specs without tolerances such as +-3db and driver size. They tend to mean nothing.

Actually I would look at Amazon reviews as well.

Just make sure not to focus only on the "5 star" reviews, but also read the "1 star" and "3 star" reviews to get a complete opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back