I read through a thousand pages here on the forums and....
May 4, 2008 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sideways

100+ Head-Fier
I have come to the conclusion that I am in no way ahead of the game in purchasing a DAC. I was looking at a:

DAC-AH
Beresford
Zhaolu 2.5a

What I am really looking for is something that is extremely musical and I really don't give a rat's ***** if it's perfectly accurate. I want something that is airy without being bright or harsh...something that doesn't push the vocals in your face but rather presents itself to the room without attention.

This will be going to a 3020e played over old B&W's. This setup is nice, airy, open and although old it is very musical to me. I don't want to ruin that synergy just because I want to play some music off of my computer library.

My taste in music ranges from The Waterboys to Patricia Barber to Pat Metheny to David Sanborn to Priest to Lyle to Dwight to Lennon to Dala to everything in between...but it is all music and that is all I want to hear. I am not going to sit there and critique a soundstage if it's off a bit...it doesn't matter to me...just has to give me that warm and fuzzy feeling as if the music is coming from above
rolleyes.gif

Can anyone put a twist on all that DAC talk and give me a hint of what will let the music play??

Thanks!!!

May 4, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sideways /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have come to the conclusion that I am in no way ahead of the game in purchasing a DAC. I was looking at a:

DAC-AH
Beresford
Zhaolu 2.5a

What I am really looking for is something that is extremely musical and I really don't give a rat's ***** if it's perfectly accurate. I want something that is airy without being bright or harsh...something that doesn't push the vocals in your face but rather presents itself to the room without attention.

This will be going to a 3020e played over old B&W's. This setup is nice, airy, open and although old it is very musical to me. I don't want to ruin that synergy just because I want to play some music off of my computer library.

My taste in music ranges from The Waterboys to Patricia Barber to Pat Metheny to David Sanborn to Priest to Lyle to Dwight to Lennon to Dala to everything in between...but it is all music and that is all I want to hear. I am not going to sit there and critique a soundstage if it's off a bit...it doesn't matter to me...just has to give me that warm and fuzzy feeling as if the music is coming from above
rolleyes.gif

Can anyone put a twist on all that DAC talk and give me a hint of what will let the music play??

Thanks!!!

Have you tried a line out from your computer to your system? How does that compare to the sound of your cdp? If it is somehow lacking, or noisy, I'd start by getting the DAC out of the computer. Order something really simple and inexpensive, through a vendor who will give you a trial period and try it. That's what I intend to do.

I've read at least 1,000 pages here and elsewhere and the conclusion I've come to is that there are no conclusions. And the bet I'd take is that the air and musicality are in your speakers and your amp's ability to drive them properly, and that you can replicate it with your computer pretty inexpensively.

I'm starting here, because I need the USB transporter for a digital receiver I have, and this little box also has a well-regarded 16-bit Burr-Brown DAC in it:

http://www.trendsaudio.com/EN/Produc...Audio_desc.htm

If you don't need all the output options, this is more for your money, at least on paper:

DAC707 Super Pro

Unless you need USB. The USB model is another 30 bucks. Still really inexpensive compared to audiophile DACs. I can't really recommend it. Haven't heard it. But the components and specs are really good for the money. If it doesn't do the trick, send it back and try something else. You will not find any consensus on the internet. You're just going to have to hear it for yourself.

Tim

May 5, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 8
Ha... I was in a similar dilemma recently... First, I've digitized my entire music collection (well over 1000 albums) using Apple Lossless (I'm a Mac user for years). All of that music resides on a 2TB NAS unit in my office. In my living room I have a Mac Mini that is connected to a Rotel setup via Optical driving B&W speakers. It sounds great and I have had no desire to use a dedicated DAC in that setup. Although I might try it just for kicks (but this could be problematic as most DACs can't pass Dolby Digital... anyway....) The Rotel gear has decent DACs in them already, however.

Now, my office. I have a small integrated tube amp and some Usher speakers. I first tried the analog out from my 24" iMac to the amp and thought it just sounded OK. I had read the DAC in the iMac isn't all that great. So, I purchased an inexpensive DAC (Citypulse 7.2xII, inexpensive by audiophile standards) to see if I could hear a difference. Holy crap could I. It was substantially more resolving and had way better imaging. It almost sounded a little harsh at first, but after 200+ hours to burn in and rolling some tubes in my amp my little office setup sounds quite amazing.

Anyway, my point: Try an external DAC. If you don't like it, don't use it, sell it. Or get another.

May 5, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Citypulse 7.2xII, inexpensive by audiophile standards

Yep, that's a 24/192 DAC with a built-in HP amp for what? $350 or so? If you don't need the HP amp and all the connections - heck if you don't need 24/192 - all your ripped CDs are 16-bit - you should be able to get the same quality for a lot less. It makes one wonder what is in a $1200 or $3,000 DAC.

Tim

May 5, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 8
It's going to be hard to find information where accuracy isn't a big part of the review for obvious reasons. Again it's not the best DAC I've ever had, but the most 'warm and fuzzy' was a Scott Nixon TubeDAC+. You may want to look at his offerings.

May 5, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sideways /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Like 1UP already said Stello DA100/DA100S could suit you very well. It is a very musical DAC and not too harsh nor bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back