I read somewhere that EAC is slow...
Jun 7, 2007 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mr00000

100+ Head-Fier
Call me silly, but I think EAC (ripping to FLAC) is pretty damn fast. Am I halloucinating here? Or, is it really not that slow unless your're ripping some messed up CDs?

Mr00000

Jun 7, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #2 of 13
i don't think it's very slow either. but yeah, depends on the condition of your CD, and also the drive being used to rip... if it's an old drive it probably is slow haha.

maybe a little reliance on your PC specs too, but i can't imagine that it plays that much of a role, it's just ripping
tongue.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 13
If you rip in burst mode - test & copy - it's pretty damn fast. <5 min for any CD.

Jun 7, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 13
EAC is slow in Secure Copy Mode if your drive doesn't properly handle Error Reporting. If you select the option stating that the drive handles error reporting, then ripping is pretty fast, but if the drive doesn't REALLY support it, then the rip gets really screwed up and you have to turn off that option, at which point ripping WILL be really slow since it'll have to read the same data three times.

Remember, there are faster rippers out there, but EAC is the most accurate (at least for Windows).

Jun 7, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 13
The only reason people even use EAC is because it has a secure (and paranoid) mode with which it will correct errors on the CD.

I think it would be safe to say that most laptop drives for instance will not be able to do this and because of that you will not get a bit-perfect copy of the CD. I think it is the least thing you should do if you are planning on getting a lossless copy. The difference between a lossless copy which is not bit-perfect and one which is lossy (-v0) and bit-perfect (bit-perfect before encoding it with something else that is) is that the first one will have clearly audible clicks in it and the latter doesn't.

So the conclusion would be: Extract audio content in secure mode or just don't extract at all.

Jun 7, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 13
Secure mode on very damaged CD's is a waste. It ends up taking 3-4hrs per track (or far longer depending) and may end up crashing your PC. On those CD's, I figure there's no way to get around the skips. Though I only have a few CD's like this, and I've had these CD's since I was little (hence the bad shape), secure mode just doesn't cut it with them.

Secure mode on discs in good condition or in fair condition is great. You get a guarantee of as close to a perfect rip as humanly possible. There won't be any fluke skips just because the ripper fails for 1/100th of a second during long ripping sessions. And any minor skips that may be present, it does a great job on minimizing their presence.

Jun 7, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 13
The biggest difference in total time to rip is how you have set up EAC's options. I didn't understand why my notebook was ripping faster than either drive on my desktop PC until I found that I'd inadvertently messed up some settings on the desktop drives.

The FAQ's and help for EAC isn't crystal clear on those issues. I don't use secure mode for the most part, because the first thing I do when I get a new CD is carefully remove it from the case, inspect the surface for any gross contamination or defect, place it in the drive and rip to FLAC.

Jun 7, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So the conclusion would be: Extract audio content in secure mode or just don't extract at all.

Nonsense. Test And Copy in burst mode all the way. You can also setup AccurateRip if you are paranoid, but I found that just a nuisance and redundancy.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #9 of 13
God damnit!!! I just realized that my settings were on burst mode
mad.gif

Now I'm thinking about re-ripping everything
frown.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #10 of 13
Burst mode is recommended if you use Test & Copy (and know that your CD doesn't have scratches). Just remember to check the test and copy CRC values for a match.

I don't rip very often, so I just leave it in secure mode.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #13 of 13
I setup EAC according to a guide I found here. I have a drive that is 3 months old. A 20X DVD burner. The first album I tried to rip was up to something like 5 or 6 minutes on the first track when I decided EAC ain't for me. Foobar 2K 0.8.3 rips a whole CD to flac files in 2 or 3 minutes on the same drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back