I pulled the trigger on the ER-4S's...
Jul 6, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #16 of 36
I think Americans are a little bit hygiene obsessed. Humanity got along just fine for tens of thousands of years without hydrogen peroxide ear cleaning systems.

Jul 6, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dougmwpsu
I think Americans are a little bit hygiene obsessed. Humanity got along just fine for tens of thousands of years without hydrogen peroxide ear cleaning systems.

I am no American, and am quiet lousy myself.. I cringe at the thought of showing my Ety foamies to others.. or even looking at them myself..
biggrin.gif

That's why I shut my eyes when I open my Ety's case and only open my eyes when I have the phones out of sight and in my ear canals...
biggrin.gif
and repeat the process while taking them off and putting them away.. You see, I am too lazy to clean the foamies..
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

But they also didn't have Ety's to listen to!

Anyways, my ears will be nice and clean, and prepared for the first insertion of high end canal phones. Man, I can remember when I was drooling over the E2's while listening to my HD212's and MX500's...

Jul 6, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Europeans are much more hygiene obsessed than Americans are.

Jul 6, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #20 of 36
Hi,

According to my audioligist everyone is different regarding wax. He told me some people have an excess and some people never have an excess, it's just the luck of the draw.

I shower everyday and use a always use a Q tip in my outer ear prior to using my eties.

My Audiologist examined my ears prior to taking ear impressions and said I had no excess wax at all. He said in my case to continue my normal practice and not to use any cleaning substances. He recommends a couple of drops of olive oil, loose fitted cotton wool, prior to going to bed, for people with excess wax. He said a lot of proprietry solutions do more harm than good.

John

Jul 6, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #21 of 36
I am also going to be an owner of the ER-4P's soon.

Ety Owners what would be most useful:
Extra Filters, Extra Foamies, Extra Triple Flanged Tips?
Or What else?

Which, component/accessory mentioned above, wears out
the quickest and you had to replace?

Thanks!

Jul 6, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #22 of 36
For the extra foamies or tips, it would probably come down to preference which you prefer (though I'm guessing that the tips would last a lot longer than the foamies). Since I use the foamies, I find that I'd probably have to replace them before the filters and tips, since they're starting to get a bit squished and are losing their springiness

Jul 6, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
I am also going to be an owner of the ER-4P's soon.

Ety Owners what would be most useful:
Extra Filters, Extra Foamies, Extra Triple Flanged Tips?
Or What else?

Which, component/accessory mentioned above, wears out
the quickest and you had to replace?

Thanks!

I ordered extra sets of everything right off the bat and that wasn't really a good idea. I don't use the foamies, I tried them once or twice and then went to the tri-tips so they last pretty well for me. I just replaced my first set of tri-tips after 18 months of 20-40 hours per week use because they would come off the earpiences and stay in my ears... Heh, very embarrassing.
redface.gif
I replaced the filters once, not because they needed it but because I wanted to know if they needed it (and they didn't). So for me, none of them, but I've become convinced that I have low wax ears.

If you use the foamies I think you'd run through them relatively quickly as compared to the rest of the consumables, but in hindsite, I would wait till I actually need them before ordering more, you shouldn't be going through anything fast enough that it will matter.

Jul 6, 2004 at 8:38 AM Post #24 of 36
Over time I noticed that any ear-pulling-insertion is not really necessary. You can simply open your mouth while slowly twisting them into your canal. This gives me a great seal & sound while hardly feeling that the Etys are there at all.

Jul 6, 2004 at 12:42 PM Post #25 of 36
I just received my 4Ss yesterday (along with an SR-71 portable amp). I've not had much of a chance to listen them, but I was impressed how easily they formed a seal in my ears (with the tri-flanges), and how much isolation they provided. So far, so good.

When I get some time I'll compare them to my HD650s.

Jul 6, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregeas
I just received my 4Ss yesterday (along with an SR-71 portable amp). I've not had much of a chance to listen them, but I was impressed how easily they formed a seal in my ears (with the tri-flanges), and how much isolation they provided. So far, so good.

When I get some time I'll compare them to my HD650s.

Oh yeah, I'd like to hear how they compare to the HD650's. I have teh 580's and it would be a nice way to get a feel how they are gonna sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #27 of 36
Oh man they were shipped today, I can't freaking wait until this order from HeadRoom comes in! I also got a MiniBag, so I'll post pics of that too and let you guys know what I think
etysmile.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Oh yeah, I'd like to hear how they compare to the HD650's. I have teh 580's and it would be a nice way to get a feel how they are gonna sound
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the hd650 with zu cable and the etys 4P with S cable. I think the hd650/zu sounds much better. The music is much more engaging. The mids and low end are completely filled out. Drums sound like someone actually hitting the drums. The upper mid to high are very similar but the hd650/zu wins by being a little smoother and less harsh. With the Zu cable, the hd650 have just as much detail as the etys. Some of the detail in the mids might be just a little bit easier to pick out on the etys just because the bass is lacking.

I haven't really listened to the hd650 with the stock cable but I remember the etys had a more detail in this setup.

I listen to both headphones through my PPA w/diamond buffer. The etys greatly improve when using the amp vs using the headphone out on my ipod.

Jul 7, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #29 of 36
Thanks a lot for your comments. I'll take those into consideration, since I'm using my HD580's with the Oehlbach cable, but my amp and source aren't that great. That's ok though, I think I'm gonna like the Ety's
icon10.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I was gonna get the 4P's, but I was stretching my budget getting the ER series as is, so getting the converter cable would put me way over. Plus, I plan on using these with an amp most of the time anyways. When I'm not, I'll just have to deal with the sound unamped(unless I like it!).

Etymotic can convert your 4S to 4P but obviously that will involve a small fee. My brother in law had that done to 4S and uses the converter for home use. You could always get that done in the future.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back