I own the Westone UM3x, which mp3 player should I buy?
Mar 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Mopshond

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
A few weeks ago I received my Westone UM3x pair.
Now I am searching for a mp3 player with a good SQ and that fits the UM3x sound wise. I already thought about the sony nwz-x1060, but I am wondering how it would be compared to a amped Ipod classic 160gb.
Please advise me?

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 23
im in the same boat, dont you love the fit on the um3x, blows away anything ive ever had before, no desire for customs now....im thinking ill get a Cowon S9, but am waiting to see what might be coming out, its about that time for all the new stuff to hit.

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagojammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im in the same boat, dont you love the fit on the um3x, blows away anything ive ever had before, no desire for customs now....im thinking ill get a Cowon S9, but am waiting to see what might be coming out, its about that time for all the new stuff to hit.

Yeah, totally I really like the fit and the SQ of the Westone UM3x.
It's difficult to find a really good player for every purpose.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my iTouch with UM3x and JH13.

I have heard a Ipod Classic without a amp and found it really dark, the
hights where not very nice to. Although we used lossless files.

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mopshond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard a Ipod Classic without a amp and found it really dark, the
hights where not very nice to. Although we used lossless files.

The last time I tried iPod classic at the Apple store, it does not sound the same and iTouch at all.

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go with the Sony X for sure. It sounds like it is in another league when compared to an ipod or a zune.

+1

Also the eq is decent and doesn't distort the music too much. I eq the highs on the um3x because I got used to the re0, but once I do it's perfect to me.

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go with the Sony X for sure. It sounds like it is in another league when compared to an ipod or a zune.

But what if you use the Ipod Classic with a amp, like the Pico Slim amp with a LOD. Sounds the Sony nwz-x1060 than still better?

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The last time I tried iPod classic at the Apple store, it does not sound the same and iTouch at all.

So you suggest that a Ipod Touch sounds better than a Ipod Classic?

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 23
1/3 on the source
1/3 on the amp
1/3 on the headphones

no idea about a source though. My 3GS flames my old 5.5g iPod

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by superpiper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1/3 on the source
1/3 on the amp
1/3 on the headphones

no idea about a source though. My 3GS flames my old 5.5g iPod

Hey, thanks for you comment, but I do don't understand what you are trying to say with it. Can you explain it to me, please?

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #13 of 23
Another vote for the Sony X. For me this combo is just amazing!

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for the Sony X. For me this combo is just amazing!

Hey,
Do you also use this combo; westone um3x + sony nwz-x1060?
And do you use the EQ of the sony x or don't you?
And can you discripe the sound of this combo?
Gr. Tjeerd

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mopshond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, thanks for you comment, but I do don't understand what you are trying to say with it. Can you explain it to me, please?

Well, going " old school" you would normally ( for a static system anyhow's ) look to spend 30% on each part, with the last 10% on interconnects . I think this is a good rule of thumb and can be applied to portable setups as well.
This then, suggests that to get the optimum bang/buck for your headphones, one should purchase an amp and a DAP of equal value. The DAP bit is blurred by the fact it contains an amp ( and lots of other ***** , Sound only DAP's are a dying breed.)
The westones are $400, so you should have allocated another 6-800 for the amp/player. $400 on an amp is easy, ( Ttvj slim for example ) but the DAP is another problem. Maybe an imod...

I'd say the above two should be stellar ( in theory) for the westones.

However, you may ( and wisely so) bought the best earphones you could possibly afford
if that is the case , and you want a multifunction DAP, without an amp, the 3GS is a good starting point.

Because my unamped Iphone beats my amped 5.5gipod ( a forum favorite for the last few years) IMHO then I'm stuck to suggest something worthy of $400 earphones

Am I making sence

Users who are viewing this thread

Back