I own Shure E3... would like to upgrade. Suggestions?
Apr 13, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by gorman
Let's say I'm satisfied with E3's bass. Would I be downgrading on that regard with Etys? Because if Etys bass is similar to E3s, I might opt for Etys for the added detail.

Another dumb question: are Etys worn behind the ears as Shure? I find that very handy.

I disagree with lindrone -- I think the E3's bass is on par with the Etys, not superior. However, the sound signature is way different. Then again, I just wasn't blown away by the E3's at all. I chose to get the E2's for exercise for their hardiness and also good old thumping bass. (Don't miss the detail at all whilst sweating.) In my mind there is no doubt that the ER-4's are a step up from the E3's. Some people, though, just find them too sterile. In which case there's the E5's....

As for the behind your ear design -- no, the Etys are hang down the front. The work-arounds are absurd looking, so if you like them going down your back, I'd step up to the E5's instead.

Apr 16, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by wildeone
As for the behind your ear design -- no, the Etys are hang down the front. The work-arounds are absurd looking, so if you like them going down your back, I'd step up to the E5's instead.

Yes, I think that I'll be going with E5... another two weeks for the final decision, so... anybody knows how's the hissing issue when used with a Rio Karma?

Apr 17, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #18 of 22
After some more browsing... I'm really surprised by one thing.

Why is it that the major sponsors of this forums, that both sell both Etys and Shure, seem to sponsor Etys so heavily (both TTVJ and HeadRoom define Etys with great praise) and don't spend any good words for E5s?

Just curious...

Apr 17, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #19 of 22
I believe both Todd and Tyll have been big fans of the Etys sound for years and Headroom site has always been very vocal of headphones they liked (HD600, K1000, etc) so it doesn't really surprise me. Mind you that the Etys have been around for a while now. Given years Shure will have its fan base too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #20 of 22
Also, the Etys have an immediate WOW factor when you put them on. The absolutely stun you with the clarity. Some people grow addicted (like moi) and for some people the details eventually become wearisome.... The E5's on the other hand are more like "normal" headphones so people aren't quite as bowled over initially. They are superb headphones, though, and really grow on you. It's aweesome that you can pack so much punch into such a little package. Amazingly enough some of their strongest advocates are ex-Etyites.... I really don't think you're going wrong by getting these.

Apr 17, 2004 at 11:13 AM Post #21 of 22
Ok, thanks for the explanations. Anyone on possible Karma hissing problems?

By the way, this is really an awesome community.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
Also, if price is really of no concern, you can check out lindrone or welly wu reviews of the very high end canalphones.

You know, after some more time of thinking... I think you might be right in this suggestion. I'm afraid that after upgrading to either E5 or ER-4 I will be then left wondering about Sensaphonics or Ultimate Ears...

There's the problem of managing to organize everything to happen in the week or so I'll be in LA (as I *really* would not like to pay import duties on such a high price).

Lindrone, I got in touch with Claudia at Sensaphonics, care to expand on the process of getting the Prophonic Soft 2X?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back