I own an Old Marantz CD Recorder (MARANTZ CDR630) with a Headphones Amp incorporated. Do I still need an amp?
Nov 27, 2012 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Thanasis

New Head-Fier

Hello wonderful new friends at head-fi.org

I am new to this field but definitely not new to the field of sound as a general.

In my endeavour to achieve my best preferable sound signature and stage using speakers with a customized set up of my old but indispensable Yamaha speakers, amplifier and customized Alpine car set of Sub-Amplifier and 12 inch Subwoofer (yes why not if it is better than any other consumer or professional alternatives), but I had a major problem.

I need to turn my head around because my Piano Keyboards, PCs and other Gear, are in different locations. This is really bad because by the time I turned my chair (and head) into another direction I lost the image of the sound coming from the speakers. So unless you have multiple Speaker Pairs in front of each different direction, turning your head around is just pain.

So I decided to burn some money in the Headphones Field. I use the word "Burn" because I am very capricious in regard to sound. It happens many times that I leave bars or club because I can’t stand their crappy sound while others enjoy their time. Even the smallest spike of a bad sound can get in my nerves very easily and destroy the joy (Probably like it happens with most of you here) that is why I am here.

I know this is a passion and many of you here own many different headphone and amp sets. And don't tell me. At the end of the day this is an expensive passion and it is your hard earned monthly or bimonthly salary that you sacrifice every so and then.

In the pursuit of the best sound, I feel it is my duty to ask people like you, who sacrificed a fortune on this hobby, so the burning of money becomes a less foolish activity.  

My goal is to own a quality Tube amplifier with the proper tweak knobs. This could be a preamp and headphone amp combination so I can also use it externally with speakers to spice up the audio experience.

For now I plan to use the HD650 (not delivered yet)  with my Yamaha Mixing Console.

Ok. Back to the question, I don’t know if anyone owns any marantz CD player/Recorder or preamp. I just own one of those old Marantz CD-Recorders (CDR-30). I haven’t used it since 1999. What do you think about the quality of these things? There are even Optical Coaxial inputs outputs at the back which can help in connecting PCs digitally !!!! So this can be used not only a a CD player/recorder but as a digital gate between computer, mixer and Headphones Amp…..Some pictures below !

630back.jpg

87e7cca6fe7a1ead.jpg

7fce25683d66a731.jpg

3f7cd6e163e59ea0.jpg

Take Care

Athanasis

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 5
you CAN use this to power your phones and ultimately the decision is up to you and what you can hear/pay for.  I have a marantz AVR with a headphone jack on it and it sounds surprisingly nice with my grado's but not with anything else.  You hd650 though not power hogs do need a certain amount of power, esp if you heard the hd650 veil. But you can use your CDP and even get a feel for how it's supposed to sound.  I'm sure it will act as a great DAC for your computer too though you may be limited to low (ie normal) resolution music (but I have no idea).   You can go to a head-fi meet or get a used head-amp on this forum to try something different out.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi tme110

First of all thanks for your kind reply.

You own 4 cans and 6 amps.... This is impressive.

I know about the veil but I didn't take it seriously. If this means "Smooth" then I thing it is what I am looking for....

I will let you know how I feel with the HD650 when I get them....

Thanks again
(You are invited for a beer if you wish ! ...:D )

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
you CAN use this to power your phones and ultimately the decision is up to you and what you can hear/pay for.  I have a marantz AVR with a headphone jack on it and it sounds surprisingly nice with my grado's but not with anything else.  You hd650 though not power hogs do need a certain amount of power, esp if you heard the hd650 veil. But you can use your CDP and even get a feel for how it's supposed to sound.  I'm sure it will act as a great DAC for your computer too though you may be limited to low (ie normal) resolution music (but I have no idea).   You can go to a head-fi meet or get a used head-amp on this forum to try something different out.

If I"m not mistaken, the amp on the Marantz CD player is an actual headphone amp, while the headphone plug on the AVR is mainly a derivation from the speaker amp. It doesn't necessarily make a difference, but from my experience, the Marantz CD player is far more likely to be an adequate solution.

As for the Seinheiser veil... I dunno what to say about it. I've heard so many definitions of it but nobody really seems to know what it really is, nor has its existence been confirmed. It's probably not something you should worry about IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back