I only ask this of you, help a newb real quick!
May 1, 2002 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

OnlyOneQuestion

New Head-Fier
Hey I just wanted to see peoples opinions on teh Sennheiser HD495 headphones.

Im not a hifi nut or even an audio enthusiast, i just wanted a set of decent headphones and i bought those on ebay. i could always deadbeat out of the deal if they are a bad product. Looks like decent frequency response range..... What do you think?

May 1, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by OnlyOneQuestion

i could always deadbeat out of the deal if they are a bad product.

Well, you are certainly a great asset to the ebay community.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

May 1, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 11
well, the response range is pretty okay indeed...

they're fine cans man, dun worry. unless you're planning on using them portably, they're a bit of a push for p-cps and mds and such.

May 1, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by OnlyOneQuestion
i could always deadbeat out of the deal if they are a bad product.

Please do NOT do this. It really SUCKS when people do this -- screws the seller over royally. They lose their listing fees, and they lose a buyer. They have to relist the item again, and hope that someone else is willing to pay as much as you bid when you won the auction.

Besides the courtesy and consideration issues, if you bid on an ebay auction and win, you are technically legally bound to purchase the item from the seller.

Sorry, but this has happened to me FAR too many times.

</rant>

P.S. The HD495 are good headphones; however, they really require an amp to sound good.

May 2, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 11
JMT makes nice ones, best priced amps around. somewhere in the $60-70 if I'm correct, depending on what you want exactly. just shoot him a PM or a mail.

other cheap amps are over $100: the Headroom TA and Jan Meier's PortaCorda.

May 2, 2002 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 11
JMT?

sorry im not really familiar with who/what that is heh. Also another note: I will be using these almost exclusively in my computer soundcard (soundblaster live! 5.1) will amplification still be necesary?

May 2, 2002 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
JMT makes nice ones, best priced amps around. somewhere in the $60-70 if I'm correct, depending on what you want exactly. just shoot him a PM or a mail.

other cheap amps are over $100: the Headroom TA and Jan Meier's PortaCorda.

Braver, you should delete that price for jmt's amps.

May 2, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 11
OnlyOneQuestion, JMT is a frequent visitor/contributor to this forum, who also just happens to make great little amps out of Altoids mints cans! I'd recommend doing a search of threads, and scour the amp review section.

May 8, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 11
I love my HD-495's. They super comfortable, and sound terrific coming from my Denon receiver. I listen primarily to 224kbs MP3's going over a digital connection to the receiver. The louder they go, the better they sound. I keep all of the EQ's flat, and when I give it a little volume, all of the tones flesh out really nice, and the bass comes alive.

I bought a pair of HD-497's at the same time as these but sold them because they were too aggressive (I guess is the best way to describe it). Not only that, they're not even close to being as comfortable. I wear glasses, and can keep the 495's on for hours without discomfort (other than my backside).

I used to run them off of the headphone output on my Hercules Fortissimo II sound card, and they sounded great - in fact, I was running that rig when I got rid of the 497's. But now that I'm running out of the receiver, I don't have to tweak the EQ's at all, and it sounds even more natural than before.

I highly recommend these headphones. Of course, that's my opinion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back