I need your professional opinion on buying headphones for positional audio!
Oct 17, 2020 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

said53

New Head-Fier
Hello guys! A few days ago I broke my DT880pro headphones which were ok for playing casual games and great for music and movies! But now I would like to get something "very good" for positional audio I really don't care how they will sound for music! I will pair them with a Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 sound card my budget is 200$. Thank you!

Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1X Open Air High-Fidelity Gaming Headset
Philips Audio Fidelio X2HR Over-Ear Open-Air Headphone 50mm Drivers- Black
EPOS I Sennheiser GSP 600 – Wired Closed Acoustic Gaming Headset
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm Closed-Back Studio Mixing Headphones

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 9
The DT880 are very good for a positional audio. Although certainly, if you could demo headphones you might find something better for you.

I say demo, because we have different shaped ears, and game surround mixes are different. Both of which are factors that affect how one finds the positional audio for a headphone. And unfortunately, researching online doesn't get you all the way there.

Oct 17, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 9
The problem with DT880 is sound is to reach and it makes lose concentration on footsteps and makes you lose that alert state, don't get me wrong they are good for single player games even I would say amazing but for competitive they are lacking details of that footsteps especially in games like PUBG or BF or COD. I'm looking for the real pinpoint positional sound I want to hear the difference when a person above me or behind me or under me. DT880 is lacking in that department! I feel like DT gives that feeling that you are inside the game which is not good for competitive play style.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 9
The problem with DT880 is sound is to reach and it makes lose concentration on footsteps and makes you lose that alert state, don't get me wrong they are good for single player games even I would say amazing but for competitive they are lacking details of that footsteps especially in games like PUBG or BF or COD.
Im a bit confused. The DT880s are quite bright and analytical headphones with very little bass. Typically they would be damn near perfect for FPSers and not so great with single player.
The Fidelio X2 on the other hand is quite good for single player as that +bass makes explosions/gunfire sound quite powerful, but can drown out footsteps in FPSers..

If you want something with less bass than the DT880, perhaps maybe the AKG K501/601/701 , but im not sure your amp can drive them well enough, and frankly I think the K701 has more bass than the DT880

EDIT: The DT770 has much, much more bass than the DT880.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm a bit confused. The DT880s are quite bright and analytical headphones with very little bass. Typically they would be damn near perfect for FPSers and not so great with a single player.
The Fidelio X2 on the other hand is quite good for a single player as that +bass makes explosions/gunfire sound quite powerful, but can drown out footsteps in FPSers..

If you want something with less bass than the DT880, perhaps maybe the AKG K501/601/701 , but I'm not sure your amp can drive them well enough, and frankly, I think the K701 has more bass than the DT880

EDIT: The DT770 has much, much more bass than the DT880.
My DT880 600@ was too bassy I don't know why! Maybe my AE-5 couldn't power them properly but in games like COD AND BF AND PUBG bass was to Loud!!!

Oct 17, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 9
That's what I'm actually thinking to buy MASSDROP X SENNHEISER HD 58X JUBILEE HEADPHONES or Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80@. I would like to know what will you suggest guys?

Oct 17, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 9
That's what I'm actually thinking to buy MASSDROP X SENNHEISER HD 58X JUBILEE HEADPHONES or Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80@. I would like to know what will you suggest guys?
I own both and would take the HD58X over the DT770, more so for movies and music, not so sure of FPS gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back