I need your help: +1000€ budget for High-End In-Ear / Upgrade from Xelento?
Oct 29, 2017 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

phiemon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I'm looking for High-End In-Ear with a budget of +1000€.

For now I tried the IE800s and the Xelento – because they are "famous" in this forum. Between the two I like much more the Xelento: more energie, direct, "in the head" etc. I found the IE800s (because of the soundstage?) boring.

So, I wonder if you know "better" (for you!) In-Ear than the Xelento which I could test.
What do you think about:

Ultimate Ears UE-7 Pro
InEar ProPhile 8
InEar StageDiver SD-4
Campfire Audio Andromeda

Thank you for your time!

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #2 of 10
The way you describe what you like (energy, small soundstage), I don't think both InEar models and Andromeda are what you're looking for...
Can't comment about the UE model, never tried it.

Most +1000€ models tend to go more "reference/flat/detailed" than Xelento (particularly with less bass), so it may be a long search, especially with the difficulty to find a place to demo such expensive models in Europe.

Maybe it would be easier if you describe what you don't like with Xelentos.

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 10
First of all, thank you for the reply!

Now, I received the PP8 and I don't like it as the Xelento because of the missing "energy" (namely, more treble extension and control and better bass which is definitely more present, penetrating ... that bass in "Muse - Dig Down" is for me phenomenal!!).

Someone else told me the same as you about the difficult to find such a IEM (@tienbasse) and about the Andromeda / Vega (@rantng). But the Campfires´ are very hard to find for testing here in EU. Do you know which IEM I could also try?

Maybe I just wish the Xelento has more soundstage (Vega has a worse soundstage: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/be...-ear-headset-for-mobile-devices.22337/reviews).

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 10
First of all, thank you for the reply!

Now, I received the PP8 and I don't like it as the Xelento because of the missing "energy" (namely, more treble extension and control and better bass which is definitely more present, penetrating ... that bass in "Muse - Dig Down" is for me phenomenal!!).

Someone else told me the same as you about the difficult to find such a IEM (@tienbasse) and about the Andromeda / Vega (@rantng). But the Campfires´ are very hard to find for testing here in EU. Do you know which IEM I could also try?

Maybe I just wish the Xelento has more soundstage (Vega has a worse soundstage: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/be...-ear-headset-for-mobile-devices.22337/reviews).
I think JVC HA FW01 is for you ,

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 10
It sounds like you're looking for the U12 and U18. Due to their warm tuning, they can be considered warm, musical, and full of energy. I think the bass will be exactly what you're looking for. They also achieve a very good sound stage for how warm they are. Initially, it might seem like the treble is rolled off or not as detailed, but it just sits a bit farther back in the mix. All the detail is still there :)

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 10
It sounds like you're looking for the U12 and U18. Due to their warm tuning, they can be considered warm, musical, and full of energy. I think the bass will be exactly what you're looking for. They also achieve a very good sound stage for how warm they are. Initially, it might seem like the treble is rolled off or not as detailed, but it just sits a bit farther back in the mix. All the detail is still there :)

That is being annoying: I cannot find in EU any resellers for 64audio U12 or U18. Also, they cost a bit much for me (price starts at 1600+ dollars for the U12).

Do you think, the VEGA could be for me a better candidate than the Xelento?

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 10
That is being annoying: I cannot find in EU any resellers for 64audio U12 or U18. Also, they cost a bit much for me (price starts at 1600+ dollars for the U12).

Do you think, the VEGA could be for me a better candidate than the Xelento?

Sorry, I haven't heard Vega. But you should be prepared for a lot more bass.

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 10
Sorry, I haven't heard Vega. But you should be prepared for a lot more bass.

Yep, I know that, and also that X's soundstage should be better.

Maybe has the Vega more "energy" than the Xelento? I'm noob on this, so I cannot interpret this technical explanation:

"X vs Vega - X has a wider soundstage, while depth is similar, maybe with X projecting sound a little further; with bass, they both have an elevated low end but in X you have more sub-bass and a touch less mid-bass impact while with Vega you have less sub-bass and stronger mid-bass. Also, X mid-bass has a little shorter decay which gives the bass more control and slightly better separation from lower mids. With lower mids, Vega has more body with thicker sound while X lower mids are leaner, north of neutral but still leaner in comparison to Vega. Both have a detailed clear upper mids with a natural tonality, X mids have a slightly more forward presentation in a relative comparison to Vega, but that could also be relative to low end impact which perhaps pushes Vega upper mids a little back. With treble, you hear the difference where even with Vega’s better extension and more airiness the tonality is brighter and harsher in comparison to a more natural smooth yet well defined crisp X treble which is more under control." (https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/be...-ear-headset-for-mobile-devices.22337/reviews)

What is the "concrete", "practically" difference between both IEMs, according to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back