I need ways to prevent headphones from "blowing out"
Dec 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kippenger

New Head-Fier
I currently own a Beyerdynamic DT770, a Fiio E12 amp, and I use a Nokia Lumia 920 as my source. Its my second day with this set and sadly, they just blew out. I was listening to some music and I received a text message. I tap on the message to view it and the right cup begins to blare noise and a crackling sound. I life the headphone off my ear due to the loudness. It stops after 2 seconds and I place it back down on my ear. The music continues to play, and I notice there is no sound coming from the right cup. Though there is still sound in the left. I took it out and put it back in, no sound from the cup. I plug it directly to my phone, no sound from the cup either. So now I'm really upset my investment just went to waste that quickly. All this equipment, besides the phone hasn't been used until recently. The first time using the set was 2 days ago at night. My first full day was yesterday, and it blew out today. The sound was beautiful when it worked but I'm wondering if it just got a defective one, or if I'm just really unlucky. I haven't dropped them once. I have been "babying" then as if they were my first born. I wondering what you guys thought could know the reason it did so. Do I have to break in the amp too? Or is it something else too. Sorry if it seems as if I don't know anything, but that's because I barely know anything. I'm just starting out, so any help will be great. Thank you in advance. Any advice to avoid this I'm the future would be extremely useful for when I start up again. Thank you again. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 5
It almost sounds like the Nokia some how dumped some really loud audio into the Fiio (When text came in), which in turn, dumped it into your new cans and blew them out. Not sure if the DT770's should be expected to survive such a loud audio source, even if only for a short period of time. Have you ever noticed if this has happened on other headphones??. Get a cheap set of cans and get some one to text you while using them. See if it happens again. It might be that the "System Sounds" on the Phone need to turned down. If they are too high, and you have the volume up loud while jamming, you might get a really loud system sound. Bottom line is I would not try another set of good cans on that phone / Fiio until you get it all sorted out. You could return the cans but if it were me, I would be honest when you return them and let them know what happened. Let them make the call. Like I said, get it sorted out, use the process of elimination before you try another set of good cans on it!

Sorry to hear this happed to you bro.

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the advice! Through perseverance, I actually located the problem. It was the Lumia like you said. Except it was the same exact problem. The real reason was because the Audio Jack is buggy (or just broken). It works, but it has been getting progressivly getting worse the longer I own it (probably due to dropping sadly). Thank you for the advice though. I'll be careful with my rig from now on. I was really confused how the DT770's driver broke so quickly, it was scary. The Dt770's are fine if anyone was wondering, they still sound perfect. But now I know. Thanks for the advice, like I said, any would help. I believe this means I can close this thread since we finished up here, so thanks again for the extremely quick reply. Now I just need to locate a better source, but that's for another time 
rolleyes.gif
 Thanks again, Kipp out.

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 5
  Thanks for the advice! Through perseverance, I actually located the problem. It was the Lumia like you said. Except it was the same exact problem. The real reason was because the Audio Jack is buggy (or just broken). It works, but it has been getting progressivly getting worse the longer I own it (probably due to dropping sadly). Thank you for the advice though. I'll be careful with my rig from now on. I was really confused how the DT770's driver broke so quickly, it was scary. The Dt770's are fine if anyone was wondering, they still sound perfect. But now I know. Thanks for the advice, like I said, any would help. I believe this means I can close this thread since we finished up here, so thanks again for the extremely quick reply. Now I just need to locate a better source, but that's for another time 
rolleyes.gif
 Thanks again, Kipp out.

That's actually exactly what I thought the problem was when you mentioned the crackling.  Another thing you may want to check is whether or not any dust or debris may be in the jack.  Try and clear any of it out if you can.  I personally use a piece of tissue covering a small sewing needle.  Just be very gentle and don't dig in too hard or you may end up breaking the jack completely.  Also check the fitting on the headphone jack.  For the 920, I believe the fitting is supposed to be relatively tight out of the box.  If you don't feel a definitive "click" when pushing the 1/8" connector in, you may want to contact AT&T and ask if you can get a warranty replacement (assuming you are either within the first year of ownership or purchase insurance through them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back