I need to get me an ATH-W11JPN
Jun 30, 2006 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
So I've got a pair of jjcha's ATH woodies here at the moment, the W11JPN. I've spent a few hours listening to them, and man... there's magic in there.

It's such a funky headphone. It might not be super quick, but somehow the PRAT is right on, and they have this really nice punchiness that I really enjoy. The soundstage is smaller than you'd expect for a closed headphone of this size (they're huge) but at the same time it is intimate and warm. The midrange is pushed forward and everything else sort of sits behind it. The singer's right there with you, almost in a Grado kind of way.

And sweet.... they are so sweet and smooth. I threw on the Beyer DT770 and it was almost unlistenable in comparison. I can't imagine a more blatant way to show someone what "smooth" really is.

There are certainly things "incorrect" or not as good about the sound, but the whole thing just totally meshes. It's this lovely euphoric kind of sound that just says "Hey, it's music. Relax and enjoy." Why don't they make these anymore!?

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 37
Nope they are not good at all.
evil_smiley.gif

Everytime you praise a discontinued headphone. It's price increases for everyone by $25.
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Join the club dude. They sounded soooo good on the MPX3 with 6bx7's as driver tubes...

So are they done being restored by the wood guy? How do they look?

Yup! Just got them back from him today. The W11JPN had a few dents on the underside of one of the cups, I think. It has a brand new finish... same color, but it is glossy and more beautiful than a W2002. Dents? What dents? They're totally gone now.

The W10VTG was the one that had the chip, and it's completely repaired... you can't even see where it was. I only have the cups of it at the moment for that one, Jason's got the other parts.

And here are a few pictures for those of you wondering what an ATH woodie cup looks like when it's off the headphone:

Insides.jpg

And the outside:

Outside.jpg

And here's how they make me feel (note the thumbs up):

Happyphones.jpg

Jun 30, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Everytime you praise a discontinued headphone. It's price increases for everyone by $25.
wink.gif

You mean $25 per post, right?
icon10.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Hmmm, those are a bit different looking from the W5000 cups, I'll post a few pics when I finish recabling them next week.

See if you can listen to Alex's pair. They are a complete kettle of fish to the
W5K you own.

Man I should of never of sold my pair.

Jun 30, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih
You mean $25 per post, right?
icon10.gif

eek.gif
Stop the madness!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Man I should of never of sold my pair.

Where is your pair now?
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 37
They are indeed special..ive had around 2 chances to snag a pair, but i got too picky of some blemishes on the cups..still regret it till this very day...

If i may ask..where did you get them restored? Did you send them to Audio-technica in Japan?

Jun 30, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mega
They are indeed special..ive had around 2 chances to snag a pair, but i got too picky of some blemishes on the cups..still regret it till this very day...

If i may ask..where did you get them restored? Did you send them to Audio-technica in Japan?

I work in an interior design office. We do a lot of high end residential stuff, and often have to restore antiques etc for the spaces. I went through one of our antique restoration companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back