I need to clamp my wallet shut!
Jan 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Hibuckhobby

100+ Head-Fier
About three weeks ago, I came across a smokin' deal on a pair of HD650's ($200) so I said: "why not?".
Within a week, I had ordered a Total Airhead portable amp because I wanted to see if it made an improvement
over the output on my Level 3 modded Shanling CDT-100.  Big difference.  Wider soundstage, tighter bass and
smoother midrange, yet better detail too.

Sooooo....after joining here and reading a bit as well as asking questions...I ordered a Schiit Asgard that will be 
here next week.  Now, I just ordered a pair of the Fostex 50's...somebody stop me!    I figured at the crazy low 
price, I could get a taste of the ortho phones.   I've been into audio for 40 years and am starting to downsize
my systems, so I figured something small like this would be better.  The disease is the same....you can just
fit more stuff into a smaller space.

Probably a story most of you are quite familiar with.
regards,
Hibuck.....

ps...just came across a Headroom Supreme at a decent price.   Or should I be looking at tubes (I have tubes in my
home systems)  Oh...and then there was that Thunderpants video....

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 6
This is the danger of head-fi. There are too many curious things to buy and try out. For me, I'm at the stage where I don't really care anymore and have found my satisfaction in my headphone needs.

IMO, all you really need is a decent mid fi level headphone and a good mid fi level amp with a nice not too expensive DAC and your all set. It will cost around $1000 total and not too bad. Of course, if your bank account allows it, you can buy a BMW level rig for a more buttery smooth tone of audiophilia sexiness and it's great but for me, I am too in love with too many genres of music and would rather dive in and buy more CDs and vinyl records.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 6
On the other hand, gear is fun and we love it. I suggest trying the DIY hobby because it will help understand the guts and the nuts and bolts. Gear is fun! Yippie!!!

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 6
But in fairness to people out there with money to spend, this is a great hobby and hobbies are usually expensive. If there is a hobby that I will spend money on, it's audio and IMO quality audio gear is worth it because it has amazing longevity.

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Just spend a little time in Sound Science and you'll stop spending money.

Guess I've been in the audio hobby too long to get caught up in the subjectivist/objectivist debates.  I know what sound I prefer
and at my age am not likely to change that.  Now DIY on the other hand, is attractive.  I was a Sonar Technician(submarines) in the USN
and am also a ham radio operator, so I'm pretty familiar with a soldering iron.
regards,
Hibuck....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back