I need to be made aware of what I am looking for in an IEM.
May 16, 2012 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

onthefence

New Head-Fier
I am new to high-end IEMs and have previously just used a stock car stereo or cheapo earbuds for music listening on-the-go. I've been using the Multi-IEM Review here to try and get an idea of what I want, but it has just made me realize that I don't really know what I want.

The guide speaks in terms using words such as analytical, dynamic, cloured, liquid, transparent, etc which I know the definitions of but still cannot identify with since I have no experience. For example, I think I want a big soundstage since I love how the music sounds when it surrounds me in my car stereo, but I am unsure if this is what a soundstage really is like. Highs, mids, and lows - I have no idea what my musical tastes signal preference to since they all seem to be emphasized in various songs at one point or another.

My facts:
I'll be listening to strictly music on-the-go with no amp on my portable player.
I don't listen to rap, hip-hop, dubstep, electronic, etc.
I do listen to various forms of rock and indie.
I don't want something with low isolation standards.
I don't want something that eats my music player's battery quick.
I don't want to spend more than $350ish.

Other than that I really don't know what I want. Please help me get a better idea of what exactly I should be looking for in an IEM when I read reviews.

May 16, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 6
Firstly, if you want a wide soundstage, you should probably look at something other than IEMs, not that there soundstage is that bad, but i don't think anybody is going to argue that the sounstage produced by IEMs is smaller than that produced by headphones.

Power usage is irrelevent really, unless your choice of IEMs were so insensitive and of such a bad impedance match that you had to have the player at maximum volume or something, speaking of which, what player are you planning to use?

On a budget of $350 the world is your oyster really, however for rock i am going to suggest Vsonic GR07's, they are under half your budget, and have quite a accurate sound signature for the price.

May 16, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 6
I think in terms of "big" soundstage and "wide" soundstage, they can be really different. But what you're looking for seems to be a more 3D-ish kind of sound. And as for highs, it refers to the high frequency, or mostly treble, which is made up of cymbals, violins etc. mids would be the vocals, acoustic guitars etc. Lows would be the bass, which consists of the drums, bass guitars and so on. 

I can't really help much, but do read this, it's very useful in describing sound - http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

May 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 6
Adding to the above, if possible, listen to some good headphones yourself at a store etc. That'll give you the best idea about what to expect, and how much of a difference it'll make.

May 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 6
The Sennheiser IE8/80, ASG-1, Sony EX1000, Westone 4R offers wide soundstage and detailed soundquality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back