I need to be educated about tubes!
Feb 11, 2002 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pr0crastin8r

New Head-Fier
I've been watching this forum for awhile and have decided to go with the HD600/MG-HeadDT OTL. I read that tube amps are supposed to be better than solid state amps for the HD600, but I don't know why. How does a tube amp work? Why is there a tube? How does upgrading the tubes help the sound quality, and how does one go about doing this? What tubes are best? Where is a good place to buy tubes, and how would I go about choosing which ones? What is "tube matching?" Thanks.

Feb 11, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 6
Try this thread for some ideas of places where to begin (won't answer all your above questions though):
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/printt...?threadid=1923

Know this, tube newbie---one does not enter the world of tubes lightly. I'm sorry to be the guy who has to tell you this, but be prepared to invest more time than you think. Take your estimate of how long you think it will take to get a handle on tubes and multiply by ten!

If you have a low tolerance level for minutia, trivia, heresay, red herrings, mis-conceptions, mis-information, and outright deception, abandon this quest! It's been known to drive grown men INSANE!!!!!!!!!!

Happy hunting. Cheers.

markl

Feb 11, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 6
Heheh, don't let Markl scare you. There's no need to get deeply into the world of NOS tubes like Markl to get incredible sound from a tube amp. (NOS, by the way, means "New Old Stock"; that is, they're tubes made prior to 1985, generally by companies that are now long gone. Some people like these kind of tubes because they sound different in some ways than tubes made today.)

Many audiophiles believe that tube amps sound better than solid state amps (ones made from transistors). Why? There are a lot of arguments, but basically the circuits are simpler (less to get in the way of the sound), tubes are more linear than transistors at low power, and no need to use feedback to keep a circuit stable (this deadens the sound of most low and mid-range solid-state equipment).

From a sound perspective, tubes have a gorgeous midrange -- female voices in particular sound incredibly, beautifully realistic.

To upgrade tubes (called "rolling" tubes), just pull out the old tubes and put in the new ones. Plug and play. Some amps may need you to do something called "biasing", but I'm not aware of any headphone amps that require this. Most are auto-biasing. Matched tubes are tubes that are measured to have similar characteristics, like matching capacitors or resistors. You generally want matched tubes if you can get them, so that the left and right sound channels will sound the same. Not all amps require matched tubes though.

Triode Electronics is a good place to buy new tubes. If you want to buy NOS tubes, Upscale Audio and Vacuum Tube Valley are good sources, but be prepared to pay a lot of money. In general, you can just avoid NOS tubes and buy good quality new ones. Much cheaper, and the sound quality is still very much above solid state.

Feb 11, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 6
to make a long quest a tiny bit shorter, the only current production tubes worth trying are JJ electronics. NOS adventures... at your own risk.

Feb 12, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for all the helpful replies so far!

Oh, and markl... your act doesn't scare me a bit
wink.gif
I'm fully prepared to delve into the world of tubes, slowly but surely... :)

Feb 18, 2002 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 6
Check out this site http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/tubeprimer.html sorry I just found it again.Lots of facts,lots of opinion all good info.I would also suggest a book called "VTL guide to tube audio" written by David Manley.He unashamedly touts his own amps but the info is excellent and will teach you a lot.This book does not get into SET amps much but tells you where to look for that info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back