I need the cheapest speaker drivers that'll fit my cabinets (pic)
Dec 8, 2003 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

stallion11msu

100+ Head-Fier
We threw a party and my 35 y.o. speakers blew up.
evil_smiley.gif

attachment.php

The pic. (text: ghetto midrange, 3" port, 3" tweeter, 8" woofer)

I assume I'll need a 2-way or 3-way crossover and at least 2 8" woofers, 2 3" tweeters and 2...I don't know, something for midrange. (originally it was two spearate loudspeaker-type horns)

DIY speaker building and design is not my forte, so maybe y'all could come up with some options for how I could re-fit the same cabinet with new drivers.

Primary concerns are COST (cheaper the better, preferrably <$100) and the ability to be driven by a vintage 75W Kenwood integrated.)

Sound is secondary to cost -- it just needs to be respectable and loud. (We're talking rap/hip-hop in a party atmosphere.)

DEEP bass is also not necessarily paramount. I don't want any noise violations.

Dec 8, 2003 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 12
C'mon..just buying speakers wouldn't be any FUN.
tongue.gif

I do have some audio know-how and soldering skills.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in essence I just need a cheap, pre-assembled crossover (~$15 at partsexpress) and a series of drivers that are capable of outputting the frequency ranges desired, right?

These do not need to sound great (or even good), they just need to produce high dB's! It seems like keeping an 8" woofer would help that cause...and I don't know of any speakers that are sub-$100 out-the-door with 8" woofers.

(Forgive my ignorance
frown.gif
tongue.gif
)

Dec 8, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 12
How were all the drivers blown?
I never knew too much current effected the xovers?

Dec 8, 2003 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
Haha, fixing them would be fun, but if you don't want to, get some old Cerwin-Vega speakers with 12 or 15 inch woofers, they never, ever blow...real fun speakers. Should run from 150-300 on ebay or something...they were 400/500 pair when new.

Yeah, I have a pair of 3-way Cerwins, good speakers.

My suggestion would be to buy a pair of 2-way or 3-way crossovers and a pair 8" woofers from Radio Shack.

Hey, you said cheap.
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 12
How were they blown?
Not really sure. old, malfunctioning electronics? storage in a damp basement for 30 years? drunk students turning up my amp all the way, causing spine-tingling distortion and clipping?

All I know is that I went up to my room before the party ended
evil_smiley.gif
and when I came down in the morning, they were done for. I disassembled and tested each driver separately and all move on to speaker heaven.
mad.gif

Note: these speakers were originally DIY jobs by my father 35 years ago. I opened them up to find ugly, awful wiring and masking tape holding together some of the elec. connections.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 8, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 12
Did it sound like an Arc welder when it blew? That's what I remembered when I blew one driver, that horrible electrical sound, then Pop pop pop.

Dec 8, 2003 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 12
I don't know what it sounded like, as I was upstairs when it happened (and perhaps even passed out already)

Everyone in the house *claims* to be ignorant of the whole situation.

If I had to take a guess, I would say that most likely the tweeter or the midrange (for which I was using a freebie computer speaker
eek.gif
) blew first, and so to compromise for the loss of "detail," party-goers just kept turning up the volume.

My amp has an -20 dB attenuator, so perhaps some amplifier expert flipped it off with the volume all the way up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back