I need some "solid" headphones
Feb 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

GeneralSmirnoff

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy my first serious pair of headphones. What I meant by solid is just in general a solid pair of headphones. With all of the new headphones unveiled at CESI'm wondering if there's something new that fits my needs.

Budget: $100-$175. I can go all the way to $200 but that's if there will be significant improvements.
Music taste: I'm really into electronic now but I also listen to game and movie soundtracks so while the headphones do need a powerful low end they also have to be capable in other areas as well.
What will I be doing with them: My daily pair that I'll be wearing on the bus and pretty much everywhere else.

So far I was thinking about the Ultrasone HFI-780's. They are cheaper than the other pairs like the 580's and DJ1's and in general have a more refined sound, or so I've read. I can also get a pair of refurbished Monster Beats Pro's for $200 which I've read are a much more improved version of their previous headphones and rival (Some even say beat) the HD-25's.

Oh and last thing, I will be running these off of my iPad and Sansa Fuze so they have to sound decent without amping.

EDIT: So I kept on reading about these new Panasonic RP-HTF600-S headphones and they seem to sound like a good pair of headphones and sound like they fit my specifications. Onless anybody has any objections I'm going to give them a shot and see how they sound.

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 2
The Ultrasones are a quality choice.  You might also look at the 44 ohm (less rated impedance than the Panasonics) Shure SRH840.  They're pretty tough and fold up.

I haven't heard or seen the much cheaper Panasonics, but everything I have read indicates that they are a full quantum level or two below the Ultrasone and Shure in terms of sound quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back