I need some SERIOUS help looking for a new pair of cans.
Oct 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JohnLD

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, so I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 439's - they aren't bad at all. They're comfortable, clear sound. nice highs and miss...although I feel the lows are lacking a bit and the bass is precise, but not what I'm looking for.

What I want is: 
           -Comfortability
           -Durability
           -Good bass (punchy, thump bass) for dubstep similar to Beats (but **** beats)
           -Circumaural (over ear)
           -Something for portable use ( my iPhone, iPod, Laptop, etc.)
           -Good quality in general
           -Budget: between $100-$250..below $300 though

I was wondering if I should:
                A.) Upgrade my sennheisers and get the Fiio e11 and L9 LOD?

B.) Buy the Ultrasone HFI 780

C.) Buy the V-Moda Crossfade LP OR LP2 OR wait for the M-100's?

D.) Or can anyone recommend a nice pair of headphones?

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 17
Okay, so I own a pair of Sennheiser HD 439's - they aren't bad at all. They're comfortable, clear sound. nice highs and miss...although I feel the lows are lacking a bit and the bass is precise, but not what I'm looking for.

What I want is: 
           -Comfortability
           -Durability
           -Good bass (punchy, thump bass) for dubstep similar to Beats (but **** beats)
           -Circumaural (over ear)
           -Something for portable use ( my iPhone, iPod, Laptop, etc.)
           -Good quality in general
           -Budget: between $100-$250..below $300 though

I was wondering if I should:
                A.) Upgrade my sennheisers and get the Fiio e11 and L9 LOD?

B.) Buy the Ultrasone HFI 780

C.) Buy the V-Moda Crossfade LP OR LP2 OR wait for the M-100's?

D.) Or can anyone recommend a nice pair of headphones?

For 235$~ on Amazon you can grab a pair of Shure SRH-940's. They are IMO the best can I've listened to taking all aspects into account.

Great bass if EQ'd even with apple presets

To die for mids, vocals and acoustics are amazing.

Crisp highs with little sibilance, female vocals at the higher en of the mid range shine here.

Soundstage is outstanding for a closed can.

Super comfortable, surpasses the DT--- series from Beyer.

All around amazing, just take good care if them.

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 17
The Shures are certainly great.

But OP specifically wanted Beats like bass, so my recommendation would be ATH-M50. Seriously, the M50 is one the best bang for buck headphones there is and ideal for your purposes. You won't need an amp either.

V-Modas aren't bad, but I've listened to the Crossfade LP2 and personally think it gets overrated on this forum.

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 17
The Shures are certainly great.
But OP specifically wanted Beats like bass, so my recommendation would be ATH-M50. Seriously, the M50 is one the best bang for buck headphones there is and ideal for your purposes.
V-Modas aren't bad, but I've listened to the Crossfade LP2 and personally think it gets overrated on this forum.

No, the M50's do not have bass like the Beats... It's getting really old hearing the M50's thrown at everyone. IMHO they have a very cold SS with very sibilant highs. Not to mention how uncomfortable they are. The clamp on the M50's is terrible

I set my 940's to the R&B EQ setting which gives them the boost around 120Hz that they need and they have a better bass than the M50's. The M50's are too highly overrated

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 17
No, the M50's do not have bass like the Beats... It's getting really old hearing the M50's thrown at everyone. IMHO they have a very cold SS with very sibilant highs. Not to mention how uncomfortable they are. The clamp on the M50's is terrible
I set my 940's to the R&B EQ setting which gives them the boost around 120Hz that they need and they have a better bass than the M50's. The M50's are too highly overrated

LOL Straight to the defensive.
Whatever man, I don't come here to validate your choices.

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 17
LOL Straight to the defensive.
Whatever man, I don't come here to validate your choices.[/quote

Sorry about that... It just feels like the M50 is getting a whole bunch of hype for nothing.

Didn't mean to jump you ^^;

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Indeed. Instead of the M50s, the HFI-580 would be a better option, similarly priced yet far more engaging.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 17
X2  I too think the HFi-580 is likely a better option for the OP's preferences than the M50.

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Indeed. Instead of the M50s, the HFI-580 would be a better option, similarly priced yet far more engaging.

So, would you recommend the HFI 580's over the V-Moda Crossfade LP2's as well as the V-Moda M100's?

I hear a lot of good things about V-Moda...but is it just getting hype like the Beats do?

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
So, would you recommend the HFI 580's over the V-Moda Crossfade LP2's as well as the V-Moda M100's?

I hear a lot of good things about V-Moda...but is it just getting hype like the Beats do?

I haven't tried them yet, so I won't recommend for nor against. I just posted my recommendation over the discussed headphones, which I stand for.

Well, it mainly seems that the M100 are approaching the FOTM (flavor of the month) status, so if you're considering them, do a lot of reading on them and try a pair if possible.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
Have a look at the M-audio Q40's. Seem to have what you're looking for! or the Audio Technica Pro700Mk2 is another good option.

I actually just ordered the Q40's, they seem very promising. Very good reviews and exactly what I'm looking for at the moment.
I was searching for the exact qualities, and I was given a few various pairs and the Q40's had the best reviews for their bass.
Anyways, good luck searching man!

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #15 of 17
The M50 does not have the bass impact and is not comfortable, the SRH940 doesn't have the bass impact, the HFI-580 has a love-it-or-hate-it soundstage, the PRO700MK2 has muddy highs, and V-Moda tends to be overhyped here. The Q40 is definitely the best choice for your situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back