I need some recommendations for classical music
Jul 20, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today i bought beethoven symphonien nos 5 & 7 wiener philharmoniker Carlos Kleiber.
It is indeed very good,and the sound is really nice with excellent dynamics and clarity.I bought the cd version because i didn't find the sacd version here in my place.It was at a good price(7.90 euro)so i bought it without hesitation.

Can you recomment me some classical music just a bit more romantic,a bit easy to listen,relaxing and emotional,with a bit less dynamic changes?(hope my description helps)

Check out some of Schubert's music. On the cheap I recommend the following:

Amazon.com: Schubert: Trout Quintet, Death and the Maiden / Amadeus Quartet: Franz Schubert, Norbert Brainin, Emil Grigoryevich Gilels, Martin Lovett, Peter Schidlof, Rainer Zepperitz, Amadeus Quartet: Music

Amazon.com: Schubert: 8 Symphonies: Franz Schubert, Karl Bohm, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra: Music

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #32 of 40
I forgot to mention that i bought and one more cd.A hybrid sacd,Julian Bream-Popular classics for spanish guitar.(recorded November-December 1962)I bought it because my girlfriend plays classic guitar and i thought that she is gonna like it!Do you know about this one?

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #33 of 40
With a little search on the internet,i found two classical melodies i really love and they are both from beethoven(didn't know that,what a shame
redface.gif
)

Moonlight sonata

Fur Elise

Please,give me some recommendations on these two.Preferably on sacd and well performed too.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #34 of 40
For the sonata, there's a handy list of good recordings here: Classical Music Blog: Beethoven – ‘Moonlight’ Sonata

There are a hundred recordings out there, all different, and all wonderful in their own ways, so any particular recommendation will be a matter of taste. FWIW, I'd go for the Brendel (number 10 in the list): a truly great pianist, and two of the best-known of Beethoven's other sonatas included.

As for Fur Elise, to be honest it's pleasant, but not a great work of art, so the performance doesn't really matter. Take your pick!

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a little search on the internet,i found two classical melodies i really love and they are both from beethoven(didn't know that,what a shame
redface.gif
)

Moonlight sonata

Fur Elise

Please,give me some recommendations on these two.Preferably on sacd and well performed too.

sticking with beethoven, i must lead you to the second movement of his 5th piano concerto (emperor). this is soft, thoughtful music that is a natural progression from the moonlight sonata. it will make your heart either ache or sing. the most well known of his concerti, the 5th is, therefore, beethoven's most accessible. after this, i recommend the 4th, of which the first and second movements are especially sublime. in fact, i could listen to the 4th over and over and over... and over again. it is simply outstanding.

my favorite recording comes from abbado/pollini/berlin. i'm not sure if it comes in sacd, though. you get all five piano concerti and the triple concerto. it's a tremendous live recording... as if you're sitting next to pollini. some don't like the creaking chairs and audible patrons, but i enjoy placing myself in the audience.

if you like that, then i would also recommend rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto. this is sweeping and sorrowful music, too. there is a reason why eric carmen samples it in "all by myself."

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #36 of 40
Henry flower,thanks for the suggestions.As for the "fur elise",it brings me memories of my childhood because when i was a kid,i had a little playmobil piano(i liked playmobil toys)and it played that melody...
The moonlight sonata was also a music theme at a videogame(!)i played when i was a kid.I didn't know that it was beethoven(i knew it was a classical melody but didn't know the composer)I found out that it was beethoven just a few hours ago,with a little search on the internet.

So my next classical purchase will be moonlight sonata and fur elise.

Goosemeister,can you recomment me on these two please?(and thank you for the suggestions above
smile.gif
)

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #38 of 40
i picked one cd yesterday,Beethoven piano sonatas moonlight,tempest,Appassionata-Wilhelm Kempff(1965)

I would also like a recommendation for
Toccata and fugue in d minor,Bach.

Thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back