I need some recommendations for classical music
Jun 29, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #16 of 40
You should obviously look at all the Beethoven symphonies. Beethoven's piano sonatas (Pathetique, Moonlight, just to name a couple).

And this
l40546.jpg

Glenn Gould play's Bach's Goldberg Variations. He played them twice; once in 1955 and once in 1981. The 1981 performance shows a much more matured pianist and it sounds amazing.

I just ordered that Jansons playing Tchaikovsky's Pathetique. I can't wait to get it.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #17 of 40
Many excellent recommendations above. One recording that would fit the OP's requirements (famous music, great sound, and, I might add, a benchmark performance) is the double SACD of Mozart's four last symphonies (no 38-41) on Linn Records, performed by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra under Sir Charles Mackerras.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many excellent recommendations above. One recording that would fit the OP's requirements (famous music, great sound, and, I might add, a benchmark performance) is the double SACD of Mozart's four last symphonies (no 38-41) on Linn Records, performed by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra under Sir Charles Mackerras.

Do you know if they're available in DVD-A? I'd love to be able to rip them to FLAC.

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #20 of 40
Start by just getting everything on Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo.

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check the link in my sig.

Thank you,it's nice you gathered all this information in a thread,i believe it will help me in my classical music journey!
Unfortunatelly,i haven't bought anything till now due to money issue,but at least i have many suggestions.Thanks.

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #24 of 40
I'm going to throw in a recommendation for the (relatively) new recordings of the Beethoven symphonies put out by Osmo Vänskä and the Minnesota Orchestra, released as SACDs on the BIS label.

And if you're interested in something more contemporary, take a look at the recording of Stravinsky's Le Sacre du printemps (The Rite of Spring) made by Esa-Pekka Salonen and the Los Angeles Philharmonic, on Deutsche Grammophon (also SACD).

Just a couple of recordings I'm loving these days.

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #25 of 40
I play the violin and piano and I listen primarily to classical music and have been collecting classical cd's for a long time. However, my one favorite recording of all time, is Stravinsky's Rite of Spring conducted by Leonard Bernstein, the 1958 recording. Not the greatest SQ (if you're just looking for recordings to show off the capabilities of your headphones, then while this is a decent quality recording, look elsewhere), but by far the most powerful performance of Stravinsky I have ever heard. I have listened to a great number of Stravinsky recordings, and no other recording even comes near the power of this one. This is the closest thing to Stravinsky's own vision of the piece, as evidenced by his own review when he heard it: "This was an explosive performance of the sort that is alleged to have brought the following sardonic review from Stravinsky the first time he heard it: 'Wow!'"

Its gotta be the 1958 recording though; the later recording made by Bernstein had a far less talented orchestra (the brass section especially is far inferior). Too bad the only version of this that is still somewhat available is the Sony Royal Edition series no. 87 of 100, which you can find used on amazon occasionally. I picked up my copy from a local public library sale several years ago for a few bucks, the used versions on amazon now are going for over $100.

Edit: Sorry, just read your sound quality requirement, so this is probably not quite on the level you are looking for. But for musical performance, you won't find any better. Also to everyone else in general: for classical recordings, I tend to dislike the really sterile, squeaky clean sound of digital recordings; how about you? Although digital recordings mean no background hiss, I somehow find that I much prefer listening to older analog recordings even if they have some background hiss; I feel like the older recordings just have more depth to them, and a lot of instruments (string instruments especially) tend to sound more real. Idk, I don't listen to vinyl, but maybe I'm hearing a similar sort of difference?

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #27 of 40
I'm not sure what's in SACD format and what's only available in regular CD format, but I am convinced that the best first purchase a person can make when venturing into classical music.......is Beethoven's 5th and 7th Symphony compiled together on 1 disc and conducted by Carlos Kleiber with the Vienna Philharmonic on Deutsche Gramophone.

In conjunction with that check out Bach's Brandenburg Concertos and Mozart's Piano Concerti particularly the later ones 20 through 27. If you are looking for high quality recordings in SA/CD format check out Ivan Fischer's recording of Mahler's 2nd Symphony on Channel Classics.

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #29 of 40
Today i bought beethoven symphonien nos 5 & 7 wiener philharmoniker Carlos Kleiber.
It is indeed very good,and the sound is really nice with excellent dynamics and clarity.I bought the cd version because i didn't find the sacd version here in my place.It was at a good price(7.90 euro)so i bought it without hesitation.

Can you recomment me some classical music just a bit more romantic,a bit easy to listen,relaxing and emotional,with a bit less dynamic changes?(hope my description helps)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back