I need some opinions on entry level cans.
Feb 17, 2006 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kitaoji

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Taking a break from IEMs, I'm starting to consider headphones, since I've never listened to any decent ones in my life. I'm aiming for a sub-$100 budget, because when you just spend $200 on IEMs, anything more gets... scary.

I have only unamped portables (iPod 3G, and Creative Zen Nano, and once the I5 2gb is in stock... that too) and my laptop with its onboard soundcard (SoundMAX). With these setups, I'm trying to stick with low impedance phones, so I don't have to lug an amp around too (my plans for Xin amps are many months down the road).

I currently have the Sony MDR-101 (yes, those 6-dollar headphones) and a Sennheiser PX100. The Senns have much more bass than the Sonys, which is annoying at times (I have iTunes EQ set at Treble Boost). So I'm looking for phones that are NOT bass-heavy, and and as a comparison, are pretty similar to the sound signature of the Shure E4c's.

Having said that, I quite like the soundstage of the PX100s. They're very clear, but aren't harsh and hissy at all (that basically describes the Sony's in comparison).

I listen to a variety of music, which fall into the accoustic/jazz/classical genre most of the time with a medium soundstage (i.e., at most a salon orchestra, nothing on the size of Mahler's symphonies). I listen to a lot of female artists, as well as oldies (50s ~ 60s). Occasionally I have a few rock pieces, but those make up a small percentage of the music I listen to. (For those who are familiar with the J-Rock artist BUCK-TICK, I can tell you that their music is my limit. Anything harsher or uses more electric guitars - NO.)

So, if anyone has any advice and suggestions for low-impedance, cheap headphones, please reply! Thank you very much.

Feb 17, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 12
Feb 17, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 12
i second the recommendation of the Sennheiser EH series headphones. i also like the Grado SR60 for these genres, but for classical it sounds just about the same as the PX100, it isn't until you get to jazz that they really shine.

Feb 18, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 12
Budget isn't officially a concern, but I can't justify spending so much until I get a better system (and that's several years down the road). So, I'm looking for a set of cans that sound good enough to resist upgrade-itis (not visiting this forum every day would help as well ^_^).

I'm still feeling too much bass (too warm? too cozy?) than I feel is necessary from the music from my PX100's, although Menuhin was absolutely lovely on them.

Are the EH 350's significantly better than the PX100s, that they're worth the upgrade (and the effort to return the PX100's)? These are going to be solely "home-use" (i.e., laptop-use) phones, as I have my IEMs to protect my ears around campus and on rides. And while I've heard they're excellent at classical, how well do they do in shining solo instruments in concertos? And I'm also wondering what they're like for some other forms of music... I'm listening to some jazz right now, and I still prefer the signature of the E4c's to the PX100s for it. I have to throw in the comfort factor as well, since I've never tried earcup headphones before...

Feb 18, 2006 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 12
First of all, upgraditis cannot be avoided.

Second of all, if you already have the PX100, then skip the HD497 and go straight for the HD555/595; The HD497 won't strike you as too great of an upgrade.

Third of all, you have just subjected yourself to the Head-fi bug infection. Resistance is futile.... You will spend $200 on IEMs and you will spend over $100 on headphones.
Methinks you should go straight for the top-guns, that is, HD650/Equinox + UE-10Pro + Gilmore Lite + Dedicated PSU.
biggrin.gif

Welcome to Head-fi.

PS. Disregard my third point SVP.

Feb 18, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 12
i've got to agree with milkpowder here, an upgrade from the PX100 in the sub $100 range won't feel like a big upgrade. the sennheiser 555's sound like your 'phones, considering your preferences, even though they aren't light on the bass.

if you can't afford them (consider the resale value of the px100's), then you're better off sticking with the px100's
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitaoji
Budget isn't officially a concern, but I can't justify spending so much until I get a better system (and that's several years down the road). So, I'm looking for a set of cans that sound good enough to resist upgrade-itis (not visiting this forum every day would help as well ^_^).

I'm still feeling too much bass (too warm? too cozy?) than I feel is necessary from the music from my PX100's, although Menuhin was absolutely lovely on them.

Are the EH 350's significantly better than the PX100s, that they're worth the upgrade (and the effort to return the PX100's)? These are going to be solely "home-use" (i.e., laptop-use) phones, as I have my IEMs to protect my ears around campus and on rides. And while I've heard they're excellent at classical, how well do they do in shining solo instruments in concertos? And I'm also wondering what they're like for some other forms of music... I'm listening to some jazz right now, and I still prefer the signature of the E4c's to the PX100s for it. I have to throw in the comfort factor as well, since I've never tried earcup headphones before...

The EH 350 is less bassy than the PX 100, FWIW. But try the HD 555 - it's more comfy, and more well-rounded, with fewer noticeable flaws. It's a real entry into high-end headphone audio.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 12
hmmm... I'm tempted to order the EH 350, because the bass on the PX100's is just really too muddy at times (and the curiosity of trying supra-aural headphones). And them choose just one... for the time being ^_^

The reason why I'm not that willing to consider the high-end sennheisers still lies in price, plus the fact that I'd really need an amp to drive them. Paying some more for an amp is one thing, but I already have enough things in my dorm room and travelling with them is a hopeless case. Having them wrestle for space with a laptop, external DVD drives, hard drives, cables and textbooks in my backpack when I'm moving or going home is simply a disaster. ('Cause I'm simply not the type to put expensive, much-loved headphones in check-in baggage... who would?)

I have to say that the PX100's didn't work with the West Side Story soundtrack, but they sounded great with band music (the Stars and Stripes forever
etysmile.gif
)

Just curious if the Beyerdynamics are any good, particularly the DT231. Lots of Sennheiser fans around here ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back