I need some novice advice regarding 'line out' and my MP3 player
Apr 17, 2022 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Sonyer

New Head-Fier
Before I start, I'm a casual, non-audiophilic music listener and hence not very familiar with some terms. So recently I got a Sony Walkman DAP. I also have a home stereo (which I mostly use for CD/radio) and so to listen to my Walkman songs on my stereo I plug an aux cable from its headphone jack to the mic input (though I have to increase the volume up considerably). I also have a car and do the same thing: I plug that cable from the Walkman to the car's AUX port.

Recently I discovered that this is not the right way to do things and that 'line out' is better. So I have been looking to buy a line out cable for it (WM PORT to 3.5mm). When I have that cable do I use the same method to connect to my devices? (the home stereo's mic in and the car stereo's aux in)?

FYI my home stereo has two red/white RCA inputs as well - is that better than the mic in? The only cable I found in stock which is on Amazon ('System-S USB to 3.5mm Cable Audio Cable for Sony Walkman NWZ') is the 3.5mm plug and not those RCA plugs, so I can't use that method?

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 2
I believe an AUX cable and a line-output cable would be the same plug (3.5mm 1/8" TRS).
Some DAPs use the same jack for headphone output and line-output.
And sometimes the DAP comes with a setting for switching between headphone out and line-out.
Line-output might feed a stronger signal.
I would rather use the RCA (red/white) input, then the mic input.
But it might not make a difference sound quality wise(?)
What is the model number of your Sony DAP and stereo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back