i need some new headphones.
Mar 21, 2005 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ewakio

New Head-Fier
I've been reading here that most people don't like the Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones.. well it just so happens that I own a pair and they broke after a friend of mine dropped a bag with a bunch of books and crap on it. So... I need a replacement! What's the best sounding pair of closed, full-size headphones for under $100? I'm not really an audiophile (I listen to [rock] music on an mp3 player and don't use any fancy amplifiers or anything), but I'd like to have a very decent pair of 'phones to replace my old ones. Just as a note... I didn't think the sound quality on the MDR-V700 DJs was too bad, its just that the leather started to crack less than a year of having it, and the hinges started to crack. Comments are welcome!

Mar 21, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 12
Go for Sony MDR-V6 (not V600) or Audio Techinica ATH-A500. Sony V6 will be under $70 from etronics.com, but A500 will be just over $100. Between two, A500 will sound much better than both V6 and V700DJ.

Mar 21, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 12
ok... so I read up a little bit on the Sony V6, and this one person said that the bass is virtually nonexistent. Is this true? cuz... i like my bass... other than that, I've heard some pretty good things about it.. One thing I'd like to ask about is its comfort. The V700DJs were relatively comfortable, but I couldn't wear them for more than an hour and a half at a time because they'd hurt my ears..

Mar 21, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ewakio
ok... so I read up a little bit on the Sony V6, and this one person said that the bass is virtually nonexistent. Is this true?

was the person who said that deaf? i could understand the V6 described as bassless by a deaf person.

Mar 21, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
was the person who said that deaf? i could understand the V6 described as bassless by a deaf person.

I concur! V6 has lotta bass
basshead.gif
. Frankly, both V6 and V700DJ have bloated and exaggerated bass (IMHO, V700DJ has slightly more bloated bass and had more bass impact). If you want less bloated (=tight) bass, look for A500.

Mar 21, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 12
Yeah, the A500 definitely isn't bassheavy at all. If you like bass a lot, just go for the V6, it is less expensive anyway.

With that said, I love my A500s. I'd buy them again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 12
That deaf persone was probably me....
biggrin.gif

IMHO sub-bass 20-35Hz is recessed relative to bass ~35-100 Hz. Dont get me wrong they are plenty bass heavy, theres just a lot of exageration above ~30Hz ralative to 30 and below.

I probably should have been more elaborate...

I like the V6 bass, someone more picky however might not like the 30-150Hz bloat. IMHO its a fun can to listen to if you dont mind the 3khz harshness.

Garrett

Mar 21, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #9 of 12
The question is though, how do you use these phones? Any portability at all? The V6 is good for the money, and it does fold smaller than the V700. It's certainly worth a try.

Incidentally what I did with my V700 was to reduce the mid-bass bloat by playing with the size of the hole on the back of the driver, plus a few other easy tweaks. I found this way, the sound is more easily controlled using EQ on the portable. I figured since I had them, I might as well make them usable
biggrin.gif
I still don't like the comfort though.

Mar 21, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The question is though, how do you use these phones? Any portability at all? The V6 is good for the money, and it does fold smaller than the V700. It's certainly worth a try.

Incidentally what I did with my V700 was to reduce the mid-bass bloat by playing with the size of the hole on the back of the driver, plus a few other easy tweaks. I found this way, the sound is more easily controlled using EQ on the portable. I figured since I had them, I might as well make them usable
biggrin.gif
I still don't like the comfort though.

interesting... IMHO sony drivers are very dependent on the size/geometry of the earcup theyre mounted into. I placed V6 drivers in a Maxell HP2000 and they sound a lot better. The larger enclosure volume really extends the sub-bass. They pack some SERIOUS whallop, easily keep up with my DT770. Image and soundstage is pretty flat same as the V6.

Midrange harshness mellows out considerably too... But I think that may have more to do with the crap-grade OEM cable on the maxell. Im going to do a canare cable upgrade soon to test that theory.

I wonder how V700 drivers would sound in a larger enclosure....
confused.gif

Garrett

Mar 24, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 12
sorry for bumping this back up

so i take it that the V6s have pretty moderate bass (at least compared to the excessive v700's) but the highs are 'harsh'. like i said before, i use it on an mp3 player (the rio karma now, but i'm getting a zen touch soon) walking around school, on planes/cars when travelling, etc. basically i use it on the go. in terms of what music i listen to, its mostly umm how do i describe it... well, indie rock, heavy sludge/stoner rock, space rock, classic rock... a pretty wide variety. I'll be away for a few days after this.. but i'll welcome any other comments. thanks in advance!

Mar 25, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks

Actually, even a deaf person would know if there was a lot of bass, since those are the frequencies that you can really feel!
basshead.gif

Anyway, I think the A500's are supposed to be better all-round performers. "The Jack of All Trades," I think someone called it once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back