I need some new headphones!... Please help me decide!
Sep 9, 2007 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MrJoshua

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all

Let me set the scene...

Sources

Macbook with Edirol UA-1X USB Audio
2g iPod Nano with Qables Copper LOD

Amplifiers

Meier Corda HA-1 MKII
T&D Dreamwork XTRA X-1

Music
Breakbeat
Jungle (Drum & Bass)
Hip-Hop
Reggae
Ragga
Funk
Jazz
Soul
Woman singing with a guitar
Spoken Word

Existing Head/Earphones

Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (250 Ohm) - RIP
Beyerdynamic DT-531 - RIP
Recabled Sennheiser HD-25 SP
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5Pro

OK, so now you know what I'm working with, I want your opinions on a new pair of Headphones.

My first question is that of resilience to hairs on the diaphragm, as that is what has killed both of my Beyerdynamic headphones (one driver has failed on both of these cans due to hairs getting inside the diaphragm).

My second question is that of synergy with my existing equipment. I loved the sound of the Beyerdynamic headphones, they were so open and airy (they make the Sennheiser HD-25 SPs sound really closed in and boomy) and they worked great with my Corda amp, so I suppose I'm looking for something similar.

Third, and obviously, they are going to need to play happily with the music I listen to. Yep, they need to handle very deep bass from the Jungle, but need to be subtle enough to let me hear all the details when someone like Kate Walsh sings songs about not liking Fireworks. I hate sibilance with a passion too.

$300 is my limit.

I was thinking along the lines of the Grado SR-325i, but I don't know much about these headphones. I think they look really cool and the metal body looks pretty robust.

Oh, and before anyone says "Just get another pair of DT-990 Pro's", I fancy trying something different this time (although if all else fails, I could do this I suppose - They are cheap enough in the UK).

Any suggestions please?

Sep 9, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 16
Anyone, please?

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 16
SR-325i were the first things to come to mind. I've auditioned those and they were bliss. I highly recommend them.

Sep 9, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music
Breakbeat
Jungle (Drum & Bass)
Hip-Hop
Reggae
Ragga
Funk
Jazz
Soul
Woman singing with a guitar
Spoken Word

Is this list prioritised? If so how about the Sony SA5000?

Sep 9, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 16
Ok, so we've got:

Grado SR-325i
Sony SA5000 (thanks for this option as I'd never come across them before)

Any more... HD-650, DT-880, K701?

Sep 9, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 16
Proline 750/2500? Just to throw into the fray, especially if your music preference is ordered, the bass is going to make you very happy (other frequencies are nice too).

Sep 9, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 16
I like controlled deep bass rather than any sort of bass bloat, just to be clear.

Oh, and the music preference wasn't meant to be ordered, but my subliminal must have been working because it's not far off
smily_headphones1.gif

So, let's see:

Grado SR-325i
Sony SA5000
Ultrasone PROline 2500

Sep 9, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

I like controlled deep bass rather than any sort of bass bloat, just to be clear.

Nice, deep, controlled bass was implied =]

Sep 12, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 16
OK, looks like I'm getting the Grado SR-325i's
smily_headphones1.gif

I was really into the idea of the Sony SA5000's, but they're a bit out of my price range unfortunately.

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

OK, looks like I'm getting the Grado SR-325i's
smily_headphones1.gif

I was really into the idea of the Sony SA5000's, but they're a bit out of my price range unfortunately.

Well; considering how the Grado pricing is structured in the UK; if the price of the SR-325i is too high, the Grado built Alessandro MS2i may well be one to consider after all. They are also aluminum, but are finished in silver rather than in gold and also have a very devoted following.

....as do vintage AKGs.
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #13 of 16
Denon D2K. when i heard them at the guitar center, i fell in love with them.

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well; considering how the Grado pricing is structured in the UK; if the price of the SR-325i is too high, the Grado built Alessandro MS2i may well be one to consider after all. They are also aluminum, but are finished in silver rather than in gold and also have a very devoted following.

....as do vintage AKGs.
biggrin.gif

I'm getting them used from within EU (the seller purchased them from the US), so they're pretty well priced.

Sep 13, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

I'm getting them used from within EU (the seller purchased them from the US), so they're pretty well priced.

Great! Not everyone on your side of the pond is so fortunate!

Welcome to the Grado Community!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back