i need some more jazz schooling
Oct 23, 2005 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DJ Mauler

500+ Head-Fier
hey guys just got kind of blue and it blew my mind so...

i need your help

for miles im getting Bitches Brew.

now what one or two albums would you get for the following
Coltrane
Tmonk
Mingus
Baker
Byrd
Hancock

that is too get me started appreciate the help

Oct 23, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 14
Coltrane: Blue Train, A Love Supreme

Monk: Brilliant Corners, Monk's Music, the new Monk plus Coltrane at Carnegie Hall is also very good.

Mingus: Mingus Ah Um, The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady

Byrd: Byrd in Hand

Hancock: Maiden Voyage, Speak Like A Child

If you like the hard bop you could go here http://www.bluenote.com/rvg_promo.asp and have a field day.

Check out what you like at a local library if you can before you buy. I'm a big Blue Note believer however. Almost all of them are of the utmost quality even if the music isn't ground breaking. You have to check out Hank Mobley (Soul Station and Roll Call), Freddie Hubbard(Open Seasame), Lee Morgan(The Sidewinder, Leeway), If you can find it Tina Brooks (Minor Move, The Waiting Game). Listen to anything by Art Blakey, he is a god.

Miles Davis is what started me on this wonderful jazz journey, and I just can't get enough of the music.

Oct 24, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 14
One of my all time favorites in that cool jazz style of Kind Of Blue is the one Miles cut right before that with Cannonball Adderley called Somethin' Else. Great album. Ditto on the Coltrane Blue Train and Love Supreme. Not that big a fan of Bitches Brew from the late days, but always loved In A Silent Way from that same period. The Blues and the Abstract Truth is another big favorite of mine from a couple years later. And also the two Bill Evans albums at the Village Vanguard. Essential stuff. All 5 stars. So many great great jazz records from that time period.

B000003N7E.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Oct 24, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 14
Lots of good suggestions. Some additions:

Ornette Coleman, Shape of Jazz to Come

Sonny Rollins, Way Out West

Miles, Birth of the Cool

Bobby Hucherson, Components

Donald Byrd, A City Called Heaven

Bill Evans, Everybody Digs Bill Evans

Cool stuff, that jazz.

Oct 24, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 14
Many fine choices have already been given.

I'll add:

Sun Ra -- Jazz in Sillhouette or Futuristic Sounds (both fairly accessible)

MIngus -- Any live set from the 1964 European tour with Eric Dolphy

Coltrane -- anything really, but, in addtion to earlier era (Giant STeps & Blue Train), and later era (Love Supreme), I usually suggest 1961 Village Vanguard stuff with Dolphy (a must have), and maybe Meditations or Expressions.

Coleman -- In addtion to Shape of Jazz to Come, you could try Free Jazz.

Dolphy -- Out to Lunch

Oct 24, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 14
chet baker - "chet"
one of my favorite recordings for horns, they sound great.

thelonius monk - "monk's music"
(includes coltrane on sax and some other jazz greats). my favorite part on the album is in the second track when monk calls out coltrane for a solo "COLTRANE! COLTRANE!" and coltrane rips one.

miles davis -'my valentine'.

i know you said you didn't need any miles, but i really like this album, and it's recorded live in a club, which creates pretty awesome atmosphere. drinks clinking in the background every once in a while adds to the overall feeling of a jazz club. great recording quality. herbie hancock is on piano in that one, the whole group is legendary. this live album of ballads captures a mood i haven't quite heard on the studio albums. was recorded in 1965, which was still part of his older more traditional style which i like, rather than the later fusion stuff.

Oct 24, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #12 of 14
Jimmy Smith - Root Down! (Live)

Dexter Gordon - Go
(RVG edition)

Oct 24, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 14
If you liked Kind of Blue, check out Miles Davis' "Sketches of Spain" - nice one-two punch!

Oct 24, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 14
Another big thumbs up for Blues and the Abstact Truth and Somethin' Else

No one has mentioned Dexter Gordon yet. I love One Flight Up and Dexter Calling Others might recommend Our Man in Paris or Go!

The great Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers haven't been mentioned yet. Moanin' might be the most accessible, but I would recommend The Big Beat and Free For All as better albums.

Miles' mid-fifties quintet with Coltrane is also excellent. Cookin', Steamin', Relaxin', and Workin' are four great albums recorded in two sessions, I believe with no second takes. For me they are as close as a studio album can get to live.

Finally, Miles Davis' great mid 60's quintet is outstanding. Miles Smiles and ESP would be great choices. For something a little different but very very cool try Nefertiti.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back