I need some help with my Beats Mixrs (Yes I know, I bought beats like a fool!)
Mar 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

smitty1ky

New Head-Fier
Hi...
well, I'm new to the forums, and im new to studio-quality sound.

I've always wanted to get into studio quality headphones and all that jazz, but I was never assured that I should spend the money when I can just get a cheap pair of in-ear's at walmart.

ANYWAYS, I stepped up and bought beats (like im braindead or something) And I loved it!

Although, I noticed a major problem (other than quality).
They are TERRIBLY uncomfortable after less than an hour of use.

So, my question to the forums is, What can I do to make my Beats or any other headphones for that matter, more comfortable?

DONT RIP ON BEATS I KNOW THEY AREN'T GREAT.

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 8
About the most you could do to the Beats Mixr is try to stretch out the headband to decrease the pressure on your ears.  Make a stack of books a little wider than your head, then leave the headphones stretched out over them overnight.  This stretches out the headband a bit.

Beats headphones aren't really able to be opened and modded easily, plus they tend to be so extremely fragile in comparison to other headphones that modifying them would probably be a terrifying experience at best.  I wouldn't ever consider trying to mod them myself, I was scared just to put a par of Beats Studio on my head once, it felt so flimsy.  I've also seen a Beats Studio at my college held together with scotch tape and with wires exposed, so know what you're getting into with Beats.

For other headphones that are more accessible to mod, you can replace the ear cushions with new ones for more comfort.  For example, you can replace the shallow and uncomfortable pads on a ATH-PRO700MK2 with pads from an ATH-M50.  Sometimes different headband padding can be added for more comfort, like the Beyerdynamic snap-on headband padding, or you sometimes can modify the ear cushions themselves.

In all honesty, unless you really want the Beats' style and image, I'd recommend you return them for something else.  I'm not saying Beats are garbage, I'm not calling you stupid for buying them, but you can do so much better for the money, and still have style to boot.  And more comfort and durability.

If you want lots of bass, the bass response and sound quality of the Ultrasone PRO 900 is legendary, way above the Beats Studio I once listened to, and it's slightly lower model - the PRO 750 - costs less than the Mixr (on amazon.com), has big fully circumaural ear cushions made of velvet, and doesn't look too bad at all.  I am crazy over my new PRO 900, and I'd imagine the PRO 750 is very similar in sound quality.

Another option off the top of my head is the stylish metal-design of the V-MODA Crossfade LP and M80.  I haven't had the ability to listen to them myself, but they are frequently reviewed as a good bass-centered headphone.  The LP is full-size, while the M80 sits on your ears.

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 8
Can you return them? Serious question. If you can't, why not just sell them? It's better to be out $20 and learn a lesson than be stuck with a $200 product that just disappoints you.

There's not much you can do to make them more comfy. Usually, you could stuff the pads with cotton or polyfill, but from what I remember, you can't really do that with the Mixrs enough to make any sort of comfort difference. You MIGHT be able to use Sennheiser HD25 pads, but that'd cost as much as the loss you'd have from selling them. Most people also stretch the headbands to make their headphones more comfy, but I'm wary of recommending someone do that to any pair of Beats. You could clamp them on a pillow or a stack of textbooks to make them looser.

It sounds like you initially liked them, but changed opinions after you read how much we hate them. Well, if it sounds good to you, then so be it. We bash Beats to discourage people from getting them. If someone comes asking about their purchase, most of us won't be mean and make fun of the person, but maybe jokingly (or not) suggest they sell the Beats. If you're satisfied with how the Mixrs sound, you shouldn't feel like they're immediately inferior because of what random internet people say, but since comfort is an issue, I don't exactly feel bad about telling you to get rid of them :)P), since supraaurals (on ear headphones) are tough to make comfy at all. I say this as an owner of roughly 6 of them; only the ones with no clamp are tolerable.

And I know you won't want to hear this, but in my opinion, the Mixrs are the ones that need the most work (well, maybe tied with the Solos, since they're both terribad in different ways). If you're dead-set on keeping them, would you mind if we tried to help you make them sound better?

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 8
*can't edit posts from my phone; sorry for the double post*

CURSES. Tree'd. For basically the entirety of my post.

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 8
its a little late for this, but I found a solution that doesnt look bad if you do it right.
i took the ear pads of of some cheap Sony MDR-ZX100 ZX I broke, and duck taped them on carefully, so you camt see a difference. it was so much better. also, I found out if I twist the ear cups a notch forward. much easier to wear for longer periods now. I coulldnt return them tho, because this was after the return policy expired.
Im also going to try to trade them with people for better headphones. or sell them. Im undecided.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 8
If I may ask how are the earpads on them? You could do a sock mod on them to make them more comfortable. It should work with any headphones and all you need is a thin pair of nylon socks, scissors, and some cardboard

Also in the future, if you want lots of bass and insane comfort try the Beyerdynamic DT770. Unless you want portability or style, then I would go for the Ultrasones Dragon recommended. 

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 8
Let's not focus on giving him more buyer's remorse and make him oversensitive about listening to his music, or he will seriously never enjoy his music ever again.

Like what DragonClaymore5 said, the book trick may help, since the headband is plastic/rubbery, and it might memorize it's state. With on-ear, it's either you like it, or you don't, personally, unless it's like pillows, those doughnut-shaped on-ears will never ever serve to be comfortable for me. You have to find a way to soften them up or something (good luck with that, and if you do find a solution, send me a link). Unless you can create a pair of new pads exactly like the Mixrs with foam and velour without reducing the sound you enjoy or somehow find an alternative pair of pads, you may be stuck with that clamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back