I need some help with my AV-710.
Feb 26, 2007 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SpacemanSpiff23

100+ Head-Fier
I have had my soundcard for about a week now and 2 problems have cropped up.

1.) How can I keep my sound from dying when my computer goes to sleep?

2.) Why can I hear a lot of popping and scratching when I listen to itunes?

The second one is only a short term problem because I'm going to try to set up foobar and use that instead.

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 7
Not sure about the second one, but why would you want your computer to go to sleep when you're using it for music listening?

You could disable Sleep mode and just set up the monitor and hard disks to turn off after a certain period of disuse (using the energy saver / power management settings).

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 7
If my computer goes into hibernate mode, when it wakes up agian, there is no sound at all and I have to restart my computer.

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 7
1) this could be caused by many things. Update all the drivers and/or flash your motherboard with the latest bios - that's the only thing I can think of...

2) You'll be lucky if switching to foobar will eliminate popping/scratching - in my experience these kinds of problems tend to be player-independent and have more to do with how the hardware is set up. It is possible that foobar will fix things though - try playing with buffer lengths and such, especially if your computer is old-ish.

On my computer I was able to eliminate scratching/popping completely by making sure that all components were properly cooled (I replaced all the fans, the processor cooler and the case) and using speedfan to regulate fan speeds instead of the bios settings. I have not heard music skip/pop since, even when my computer is under heavy load.

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 7
My guess is that you'll be lucky to find a fix for the return-from-sleep problem. Most people who use desktop PCs don't need sleep mode; it's usually just a power-saving feature for those with laptops. I've had nothing but trouble with sleep mode ever since it was implemented in Windows 95, so I've disabled it from that point on.

Are you getting clicks and pops with continuous music, or is it more of a stuttering effect? What are the computer's specs?

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 7
1. Disable Sleep/Hibernate mode.
2. Your card might be sharing a IRC with another device. Remove and set the card as far away from the CPU as possible, usually Bottom most PCI slot.

Feb 27, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #7 of 7
I was using Foobar today and it was working fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back