I Need Some Help (Grado)
Oct 26, 2005 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MrCookie989

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, well I just started making some decent $ and now I want to jump into the headphone game (god help me). Right now I have a pair of PX100s and I strictly use them on a Creative Zen Touch (not a bad lil player). Im thinking about getting a pair of Grados tomorrow, I tried the SR60s in store today and they sounded very nice, but the SR80s oddly enough sounded worse, lacking in clarity. Were they too much for my player without an amp? Are the SR60s the way to go or is there a set of phones more suited to my aural tastes? (Which are mainly The Who, played loud and without any EQ nonsense)...please any help would VERY much appreciated!
-Aaron

Oct 26, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 9
i cant help with your question since i haven't heard sr60 or sr80 (though i suspect neither one needs an amp more than another)

however, i will say this. loud + grado = hearing damage. either get the grados and turn your music down, or look elsewhere

fortunately, when you buy better headphones you lose the desire to listen loud because they're capable at low volume

Oct 26, 2005 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 9
They definitely sound different. The sr 80 are more focused on the highs, but I think that the bowls on the 80’s make the big difference.

Buy the pair you like, but the 80’s have better drives, and better cables, says Grado
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
however, i will say this. loud + grado = hearing damage. either get the grados and turn your music down, or look elsewhere

wish i read this a while back,
my right ear wont stop that slight ringing background sound,
ever since monday night im scared to touch my headphones,
and thats not even a year of that great grado sound,
8 months on the 60s, 2-3 on rs-1s, and a week of the hf-1,
and bam,
mind you, all that drum and bass at loud levels sounded damn good,
turn it down,

Oct 26, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by radam
my right ear wont stop that slight ringing background sound,

Sounds like you have some tinnitus going on there. Go to your primary doc or an audiologist. No big deal, but they can help.

Oct 26, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrCookie989
Hey everyone, well I just started making some decent $ and now I want to jump into the headphone game (god help me). Right now I have a pair of PX100s and I strictly use them on a Creative Zen Touch (not a bad lil player). Im thinking about getting a pair of Grados tomorrow, I tried the SR60s in store today and they sounded very nice, but the SR80s oddly enough sounded worse, lacking in clarity. Were they too much for my player without an amp? Are the SR60s the way to go or is there a set of phones more suited to my aural tastes? (Which are mainly The Who, played loud and without any EQ nonsense)...please any help would VERY much appreciated!
-Aaron

not surprised that the 80's sound muddier than the 60's. All grado headphones are fairly easily driven by DAP amps, as they are all 32 Ohms. I have the 125's, and they are clear, could use a little more bass (partially solved with a flat pad mod)... i.e. all grados are not coloured equally. the 80's and 225's will have more bass, 60's will lack some detail, and 125/325 will be higher detail and clarity w/ a more neutral sound.

That should help start the wallet drain. My condolences to your savings and welcome to head-fi!

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrCookie989
-Aaron

Grados are fantastic for rock, and their low impedence meshes well with a player like the Zen. Aural damage can be an issue for listeners such as yours truly who don't know when to reduce the volume (like I'm doing right now). Don't let any of this dissuade you, but do look into the lower impedence IEMs such as the Shure E series, Etymotic ER6 or ER4p or Westone UMs. I think the Shures in particular offer a decent alternative to the rock fan on the move
etysmile.gif

Andy

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 9
Of course it s all objective, but IMO the 80's are far superior, especially for bass. And, I think the highs are bright enuff as is, couldnt imagine the 60's being even brighter.
The 80's are the best starter for the noob; once you own them for a while and youve decided you like the Grado sound-you can always upgrade.
IMO, you need to listen to a headphone for at least a couple of hours before you decide whether or not you like the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back